Thursday, September 05, 2019

UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn was once arguably the best fighter in mixed martial arts. However, he is now 40, and is just 1-9-1 since 2010. Further, the only fight videos of him going viral are on the street, and in the latest, he appeared to suffer a flash knockout. There were rumors that he would have a final fight vs. Nik Lentz in November, but during a recent interview with ESPN, UFC president Dana White said The Prodigy had been informed that he is done in the league.

“He won’t fight again. That’s it. That’s a wrap,” said White, as transcribed by Simon Head for MMA Junkie. “It’s not even that this was the last straw. I didn’t love him continuing to fight anyway. But when you have the relationship that he and I have, and he’s getting me on the phone begging me for another fight, begging me for another opportunity, it’s hard for me to turn him down. But after what I saw on that video, B.J. needs to focus on his personal life and get himself together before he thinks about fighting again.”

“I don’t want to sit here on TV and pick B.J. Penn apart and his life. We all know what B.J. Penn needs to do, and hopefully B.J. Penn knows what B.J. Penn needs to do. I’m not going to sit here like I’m his father, or I’m some guy who’s above him and pointing the finger at B.J., and ‘B.J. needs to do this and that.’

“What I saw on that video was sad. I love the kid, and I hope he gets his life together. Obviously, the guy calls me and I’m still putting him in fights. If B.J. needed me, all he’s got to do to is pick up the phone and ask. If he does, I’m sure he’ll call. If he doesn’t, I hope he gets his life together.”

.