Sage Northcutt first interview since loss in ONE debut

Friday, November 08, 2019

Sage Northcutt left the UFC on a three-fight streak, the first two at lightweight, and the final fight at welterweight. He signed with ONE Championship which prohibits extreme weight cutting, so the fight was at 185. Northcutt faced monster striker Cosmo Alexandre, who was on a seven-fight win streak, five in Bellator, in MMA, while simultaneously competing at the highest levels in kickboxing. The MMA win streak for the Brazilian extended to eight, as he literally smashed Northcutt's face in just 29 seconds.

In his first interview since that loss, Northcutt told Guilherme Cruz for MMA Fighting that some six months later he still hasn’t been able to train, and was concerned he would never be able to get hit in the face again.

“When I had the injury with the breaks, they almost sliced the nerves all the way through, so my nerve feelings are coming back," said Sage. "I’m waiting for the doctors to give me the OK to come back, but as of now, I haven’t had any kind of MMA training for the last five or six months since my injury, since my fight.”

“All I’ve been able to do is eat as healthy as I can. Just now I’ve been able to start working out a little bit with some weights and trying to stay in shape.”

“I am going back down to 155, where I was undefeated. I was 5-0 in the UFC previously at the weight class. I’ve been undefeated my whole career at that weight class, so I think that’s gonna help out. I was really in a weight class that was too big for me, 185, and I think that had part to do with it also.”

"I am gonna have to lose a little bit of muscle because muscle-mass-wise, if I think if I had zero percent body fat, zero all the water I can lose in my body, I would have a hard time making 155. I will have to lose some muscle. I’m gonna be faster, gonna be quicker. And for that weight class, I’m gonna have plenty of muscle. I think it’s gonna be great.”