Wanderlei Silva says he's still suffering from multiple symptoms of concussion

Thursday, February 07, 2019

In 2016, the passing of Kimbo Slice in 2016 gave MMA legend Wanderlei Silva pause to reflect, and to worry about brain damage in combat sports.

“We don’t know yet all the consequences caused by our profession, or the consequences on your bodies and minds," he wrote at the time. "It’s like I always tell my friends, forgetting things is actually good, because you forget the bad stuff, too. Jokes aside, I attended a lecture about concussions and I had 12 out of the 15 symptoms presented by the expert there.”

Earlier this week in an interview with Brazil's Portal do Vale Tudo, Wand offered similar remarks.

"I was at a talk about concussion and ten symptoms that the guy gave, I had eight," he said. "For example, mood swings, forgetting about things, difficulty sleeping. I believed that the more punches you took, the more you could bear it. And it's the other way around - the more punches you take, the less you can handle at the time of the fight. If I was to leave a tip for the boys, it's not to get beat up every day. Those who have a young student, do not let the student get very punched in the head, have the right time to do a stronger training, but it cannot be an everyday thing."

Silva also said he would be donating his brain to a posthumous study on CTE. The disease can only be definitively diagnosed post mortem. It has been identified in countless former professional football players, and to date in one MMA fighter - Jordan Parsons, who passed after being struck by a drunk driver.

Silva also said he wants to fight Vitor Belfort.

California State Athletic Commission executive director Andy Foster is fully aware of the interview and taking it “very, very seriously."

“We’re going to have to make sure he’s neurologically fit to go,” said Foster to Steven Marrocco for MMAjunkie. “If fighters say things like this in the press, we have to follow up. He’s welcome to fight here if he’s medically cleared.”