UnderGround Forums Why Dana was p*ssed - 2 potential stars fizzled

Edited: 1/21/18 4:43 AM
1/1/01
If Ngannou and Volkan won, they'd have 2 more very marketable super stars, let alone being able to push the performance center even more. With Cormier being 38 and Stipe being 35 and not winning any charisma awards any time soon, it was evident who the UFC was pulling for.

That's why Dana was so pissed and why Stipe who saw through it was so pissed.

Yes, I know, water is wet, but just thought I'd point it out lol.
1/21/18 4:45 AM
5/22/05
I know dana isn't the best judge of talent but he couldn't seriously have thoight volkan was likely to win.
1/21/18 5:01 AM
4/20/08

Volkan marketed as a superstar? Zero chance of that, in the US anyway. His name alone would cause issues with that, he doesn’t talk a lot, he had quick ko’s but not against marquee names, as 205 is a wasteland these days and most people have zero clue who most of the 205ers  are. 

1/21/18 5:42 AM
1/3/08

Volkan is one of the least marketable fighters to

ever fight for one of the higher weight class titles, even with ko’s if he’d have won last night the lhw division would be at a all time low interest wise

1/21/18 5:52 AM
10/6/14
I still dont understand how he cant promote stipe. Blue collar guy who helps people as a firefighter as a side job. He finishes fights in brutal fashion and is the best hw in ufc history.

If you cant promote that then you cant promote.
1/21/18 6:55 AM
11/20/10
Southpaw76 - I still dont understand how he cant promote stipe. Blue collar guy who helps people as a firefighter as a side job. He finishes fights in brutal fashion and is the best hw in ufc history.

This

1/21/18 7:22 AM
1/25/12

Volcan is not a draw. Having said that I enjoy watching him fight but we’re diehards here. To the average person he’s not going to sell any cards.

1/21/18 8:56 AM
10/24/14
Southpaw76 - I still dont understand how he cant promote stipe. Blue collar guy who helps people as a firefighter as a side job. He finishes fights in brutal fashion and is the best hw in ufc history.

I see what you’re saying but there’s more to it than that. Stipe although a great standup guy has no charisma, he talks fast and mumbles. Fans just aren’t drawn to him. It’s the promoters job to build a star but you need to have that something about you. They could 100% do a better job than they are doing now with him though.

1/21/18 9:00 AM
2/13/11
Dana is pissed? Did he say something?
1/21/18 9:35 AM
10/18/14

his english is worse than Ngannou

1/21/18 11:16 AM
12/30/07
rekt - 

This
1/21/18 11:19 AM
8/18/10

Volkan wouldn't have been a marketable star. He looks like Fedor on sleeping pills.

1/21/18 11:21 AM
4/22/16
stringtheory -

I see what you’re saying but there’s more to it than that. Stipe although a great standup guy has no charisma, he talks fast and mumbles. Fans just aren’t drawn to him. It’s the promoters job to build a star but you need to have that something about you. They could 100% do a better job than they are doing now with him though.

It's not like Frances has any personality or says anything, yet they jumped on him like he was some kind of star.
1/21/18 11:22 AM
11/9/17
Southpaw76 - I still dont understand how he cant promote stipe. Blue collar guy who helps people as a firefighter as a side job. He finishes fights in brutal fashion and is the best hw in ufc history.

Because he's an idiot that only knows how to promote the lowest common denominator!

1/21/18 11:31 AM
1/20/12
Only reason volkan was even there is because he ko'd manuwa. Corm on the cob wanted to fight manuwa before that fight so this is the fight that unfolded.
1/21/18 11:32 AM
9/10/10
Volkan was spoon fed to cormier
They knew,his grappling was suspect
1/21/18 11:37 AM
10/4/03
Why would you think Volkan could be a marketable superstar?
1/21/18 11:45 AM
6/12/14

Dc is more marketable bro wtf? 

1/21/18 11:51 AM
10/4/03
I'm trying to picture hordes of Swiss MMA fans flooding Vegas.
1/21/18 11:52 AM
1/1/01
rekt -

Who gives a fuck head does his talking in the cage and is one the goat ufc hw. If he you need someone to be McGregor your get behind the go watch WWE. This is the fight game and watching what happens in the the cage is what makes it me a fan of a fighter.

I said the same thing last night. If you these clowns can't promote a fighter like stipe they have zero business in the promotional game!
1/21/18 12:05 PM
7/10/02
stringtheory - 

Stipe isn't exactly oozing charisma indeed, but STILL, a promotion's marketing machine CAN and SHOULD do a better job of, you know, marketing and promoting their UFC HW CHamp!
1/21/18 12:05 PM
6/22/09

Fedor rarely spoke and when he did it was with a translator.

1/21/18 12:09 PM
1/1/01
bdpreddit -
Mutant - 
rekt -

Who gives a fuck head does his talking in the cage and is one the goat ufc hw. If he you need someone to be McGregor your get behind the go watch WWE. This is the fight game and watching what happens in the the cage is what makes it me a fan of a fighter.

I said the same thing last night. If you these clowns can't promote a fighter like stipe they have zero business in the promotional game!

yeah he did a lot of talking last night. Both did. Grinded down to dust in the ring. WHAT CHARISMA!!!!!
1/21/18 12:11 PM
6/23/14
forrestfan - I'm trying to picture hordes of Swiss MMA fans flooding Vegas.
LOL

Vegas would smell like Swiss cheese and fresh mountian air.
1/21/18 12:28 PM
2/12/12

I agree, although I believe he still works full time, 40/wk. Not a side job. Just splits schedule between two firehouses to fit in his training. The guy genuinely couldnt care less about fame or being in the media. As down to earth as they come. A true every-man.