UnderGround Forums AJ reflects on his retirement and Tim Hague

10 days ago
9/7/04

Two-time UFC title challenger Anthony Johnson referenced the injury to former UFC heavyweight Tim Hague in explaining why he decided to retire earlier this year at age 33.

Hague is in critical condition following a knockout loss in a boxing match Friday, according to his family. Johnson posted a headline on Hague's condition on Instagram on Saturday and said head trauma was a major reason he left the Octagon.

"This is a reality check for me!" Johnson wrote. "I've knocked a lot of [people] out and [I don't know] how this didn't happen when I fought. I've been afraid of this happening to me and after learning about CTE I'm afraid of it happening to anybody."

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/19671763/anthony-johnson-uses-tim-hague-injury-explain-decision-retire

10 days ago
7/12/15
I used to have regrets about not playing football my last couple years of high school. Not now. Not at all. Thankful I moved on to other things.
10 days ago
12/16/14
StankieEdgar - I used to have regrets about not playing football my last couple years of high school. Not now. Not at all. Thankful I moved on to other things.

You would rather live a ordinary boring life then go for greatness? Lame. YOLO

10 days ago
9/19/05
Hadouken - 
StankieEdgar - I used to have regrets about not playing football my last couple years of high school. Not now. Not at all. Thankful I moved on to other things.

Go to the hospital and ask Tim if it was worth it to "go for greatness". Ask his son if he thinks it was worth it
10 days ago
7/12/15
Hadouken -

Haha OK Uncle Rico. My life isn't ordinary or boring and I'm on my way to greatness in what I do. It was never going to be in football though. 

10 days ago
1/1/01

I worry about my future and CTE a lot. I'm 42 and I played football in high school and college (at fullback, a high impact position), boxed of and on since I was 14, and wrestled and MMA since about 16-17. I hate to think how many concussions I've had doing that, plus two concussions as a kid in which I lost consciousness (hit by a car when I was 8 and fell off a deck onto the paved driveway when I was about 12). I wonder what I will be like as I get older :/   I work with elderly patients now, many who have different forms of dementia and it is unbelievably sad. 

Edited: 10 days ago
8/20/08

High school footballers aren't high school kids anymore. They're moving tanks, thanks to nutrition and exercise science.

10 days ago
8/27/08

Tim was not a stupid guy. He took the risks with full knowledge of what could happen. I feel for his family but it's a choice he made. For some it's worth the risk for most of us it isn't.

10 days ago
1/5/11
Honest Lee -

Tim was not a stupid guy. He took the risks with full knowledge of what could happen. I feel for his family but it's a choice he made. For some it's worth the risk for most of us it isn't.

Should this fight have been sanctioned though? Not looking at the facts - read the story yesterday, but thought it was a mismatch. I could be wrong.

Don't matter if he knew the risk if common sense steps in at a time of a mismatch. No one wants the other guy to die. In this case, sounds like the comission could shoulder some part.
9 days ago
1/1/01
TFK_MIB Got to Me - 

I worry about my future and CTE a lot. I'm 42 and I played football in high school and college (at fullback, a high impact position), boxed of and on since I was 14, and wrestled and MMA since about 16-17. I hate to think how many concussions I've had doing that, plus two concussions as a kid in which I lost consciousness (hit by a car when I was 8 and fell off a deck onto the paved driveway when I was about 12). I wonder what I will be like as I get older :/   I work with elderly patients now, many who have different forms of dementia and it is unbelievably sad. 

Great post, hits home with me.

I started boxing at 7 and I continued till I was 12. Then I went into wrestling 100%. In college I was spiked on my head. I broke mu c5 and c6. I also lost consciousness, had a grade 2 concussion (memory loss) and loss of focus for years. By age 30, I entered MMA and resumed boxing and other striking arts. What I noticed right off the bat was how much getting hit in the head lingered with me after the fact. Some times it would be 3 days when I'd remember to finish a sentence or a thought from 3 days prior. I quit the team and moved to Vegas (from California) so that I could stay away from MMA and give my brain a break.

Today I refuse to put the gloves on in any sort of competitive capacity. I lightly train with my wife (she was into Mauy thai prior to our relationship) but nothing that has to do with hitting or getting hit above 15% power or so. As it is, I find myself making errors in writing that make me shake my head.

Example: I'll write a sentence and repeat repeat a word, right after having written it, seemingly for no reason. Or i'll be redundant.

Example: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy fox, because he's his quick. And inserting fox in place of dog.

Needless to say, I am not a big fan of head trauma inflicted on me or those I care about.
9 days ago
8/27/08
choadler -
Honest Lee -

Should this fight have been sanctioned though? Not looking at the facts - read the story yesterday, but thought it was a mismatch. I could be wrong.

Don't matter if he knew the risk if common sense steps in at a time of a mismatch. No one wants the other guy to die. In this case, sounds like the comission could shoulder some part.

I agree 100%.

how did his corner not throw the towel after the 3rd knock down? A life lost on a fight that meant nothing.

9 days ago
1/1/01
SinCityHustler -
TFK_MIB Got to Me - 

I started boxing at 7 and I continued till I was 12. Then I went into wrestling 100%. In college I was spiked on my head. I broke mu c5 and c6. I also lost consciousness, had a grade 2 concussion (memory loss) and loss of focus for years. By age 30, I entered MMA and resumed boxing and other striking arts. What I noticed right off the bat was how much getting hit in the head lingered with me after the fact. Some times it would be 3 days when I'd remember to finish a sentence or a thought from 3 days prior. I quit the team and moved to Vegas (from California) so that I could stay away from MMA and give my brain a break.

Today I refuse to put the gloves on in any sort of competitive capacity. I lightly train with my wife (she was into Mauy thai prior to our relationship) but nothing that has to do with hitting or getting hit above 15% power or so. As it is, I find myself making errors in writing that make me shake my head.

Example: I'll write a sentence and repeat repeat a word, right after having written it, seemingly for no reason. Or i'll be redundant.

Example: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy fox, because he's his quick. And inserting fox in place of dog.

Needless to say, I am not a big fan of head trauma inflicted on me or those I care about.

It is scary....

knock on wood I have no noticeable symptoms, but it is like you are just waiting....

9 days ago
4/3/16
Too Rude -
Hadouken - 

Go to the hospital and ask Tim if it was worth it to "go for greatness". Ask his son if he thinks it was worth it
I hope you get hit by a train.
9 days ago
7/31/12
Hadouken - 

Yeah because a high number of UGers make it to the NFL. He made a wise decision.
9 days ago
7/31/12
I used to spar boxing and MT wearing headgear, I don't even do that anymore. Sold my headgear and don't regret it either.

Your brain is the most valuable and delicate part of the body, treat it with care.
9 days ago
12/18/08
Trane - I used to spar boxing and MT wearing headgear, I don't even do that anymore. Sold my headgear and don't regret it either.

Your brain is the most valuable and delicate part of the body, treat it with care.

A few years ago I would have had a totally different position. But your totally right. No need to spar unless you plan on fighting.

9 days ago
7/20/09
SinCityHustler -
TFK_MIB Got to Me - 

What do you feel contributed most to your current symptons? The huge trauma from wrestling and possible concussions or boxing and MMA?

9 days ago
1/1/01
It was definitely the head trauma from my accident. I also had another as a kid where I flew head first into a cinder block wall and lost consciousness. Just being a kid, running from a friend and ate shit.

Not much at all from MMA or boxing. The boxing I did as a kid was mostly with headgear and at that time, it was little kids hitting me, So not much concern there. In MMA training I never trained striking full contact. I was just not willing to do it since i was aware of my big injury during college. I was careful to not take head trauma.

One of my last training sessions, Jason Miller (who was one of my closest friends on the team) head kicked me and knocked me unconscious. First KO in training of my life and I made sure to never take another one. It was weird, I wasn't aware of it at all. I just remember waking up with a bunch of the guys around me. I was in a daze for days. My brain just does not recover well from trauma. I stopped training in striking altogether shortly there after. I'm not convinced some of Jason's issues aren't head trauma related.

During my MMA phase, I also trained boxing and Mauy Thai. I mostly just went through individual drills and techniques, or hitting mits and things of that nature. I love mixing it up, but it's just not worth the risk. In boxing I'm a technician and fight from distance. In MMA or wrestling, I'm in your face trying to smash you. The boxing approach serves to limit head trauma and the MMA/wrestling approach serves to dish it out, so it worked for me.

I just visited a friend who did his garage all up as a gym, including an area for boxing. He showed it to me and then says "I've got gloves right over there" suggesting we do a little light spar. I laughed and declined. I was his coach in high school wrestling and then he moved to Vegas (we're from California) and I was his MMA coach here. He understood my reasoning. You have to protect your brain. I know I've got some wear on mine, and that's despite very little damage taken from MMA/boxing. It mostly all happen on a couple freak accidents.
9 days ago
12/16/14
Trane -
Hadouken - 

Yeah because a high number of UGers make it to the NFL. He made a wise decision.

You miss 100% of the shots you dont take. 

9 days ago
4/28/06
Didn't he get KO'd just 3 months before? He shouldn't even have been in that ring.
9 days ago
7/20/09
SinCityHustler - It was definitely the head trauma from my accident. I also had another as a kid where I flew head first into a cinder block wall and lost consciousness. Just being a kid, running from a friend and ate shit.

Not much at all from MMA or boxing. The boxing I did as a kid was mostly with headgear and at that time, it was little kids hitting me, So not much concern there. In MMA training I never trained striking full contact. I was just not willing to do it since i was aware of my big injury during college. I was careful to not take head trauma.

One of my last training sessions, Jason Miller (who was one of my closest friends on the team) head kicked me and knocked me unconscious. First KO in training of my life and I made sure to never take another one. It was weird, I wasn't aware of it at all. I just remember waking up with a bunch of the guys around me. I was in a daze for days. My brain just does not recover well from trauma. I stopped training in striking altogether shortly there after. I'm not convinced some of Jason's issues aren't head trauma related.

During my MMA phase, I also trained boxing and Mauy Thai. I mostly just went through individual drills and techniques, or hitting mits and things of that nature. I love mixing it up, but it's just not worth the risk. In boxing I'm a technician and fight from distance. In MMA or wrestling, I'm in your face trying to smash you. The boxing approach serves to limit head trauma and the MMA/wrestling approach serves to dish it out, so it worked for me.

I just visited a friend who did his garage all up as a gym, including an area for boxing. He showed it to me and then says "I've got gloves right over there" suggesting we do a little light spar. I laughed and declined. I was his coach in high school wrestling and then he moved to Vegas (we're from California) and I was his MMA coach here. He understood my reasoning. You have to protect your brain. I know I've got some wear on mine, and that's despite very little damage taken from MMA/boxing. It mostly all happen on a couple freak accidents.

Thanks for the response. Even lights hits to head can accumulate and lead to CTE (they've found CTE from soccer players just heading the ball for years) etc, so it's very healthy of you to limit ALL head trauma possible.

Do you train even grappling nowadays?

9 days ago
1/7/06
That came off a bit douchey. Aj can't believe he hasn't killed someone in the ring yet? Come on....
9 days ago
1/1/01
mkou - I tore my labrum and destroyed my knee (ACL, MCL, patella) 1.5 years ago. I was on the shelf for 15 months. I am not back in the gym for weights and cardio. I was wrestling when i sustained those injuries. i miss it and 2 weekends ago I lightly wrestled with the HS kid I was coaching at the time of my injuries. What i discovered is how slow I am not post injury, lacking any explosiveness whatsoever. As a long time wrestler, I was very good in staying in proper position and not making impatient mistakes. I found myself reaching and extending myself over and over. It was like an outer body experience. I couldn't believe the guy wrestling that poorly was me. I legit got taken down!

After the friendly and light go I reevaluated. I know I'll get my timing and some speed back with training. Problem is with more training, more potential for injury. I'm not willing to go through that again. I am 100% done with anything competitive. I will probably go lightly again in the near future and I might get into greco. I still love being competitive, I just can't expose myself to injury.
8 days ago
9/19/05
ThunderlipsTapped - 
Too Rude -
Hadouken - 

I hope you get hit by a train.

Why? Cause I use a very recent example of what can happen when your too macho and tough for your own good? Cause "YOLO" so keep going for greatness after youve already gotten KOd half a dozen times in 2 years?

Tim was a great guy. I watched lots of his fights, read lots of his posts, and enjoyed him. I was really sad about what happened to him, but realistically he shouldnt have ever been in that ring that night, and he should be here now. He lost near half a dozen fights in 2 years by KO/TKO, took more damage in before the KO/TKOs and in other fights, and who knows what his training life was like. How hard he was sparring. Then to match a 1-3 guy with that history of fights up with a 7-1 guy whos known as a heavy hitter, and to let him go for as long as the ref did.

A lot of people and organizations failed, and death was the result. And you can bet that in the gym, at the bar, around friends and trainers, and on the stool in between rounds, people were saying shit like "go for greatneess" or other bullshit like it.
8 days ago
10/3/16
I am sure AJ will be back.