UnderGround Forums Ricky Hatton speaks on FMJ vs. McGregor

Edited: 6/18/17 2:43 PM
9/7/04

Ricky Hatton 'can't get excited' about Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor fight

Ricky Hatton has criticised the arrangement of a bout between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor, despite being an admirer of both fighters.

It was announced earlier in the week that 40-year-old former multi-weight world champion Mayweather would come out of retirement to put his 49-0 record on the line against mixed martial arts champion McGregor in Las Vegas this summer.

The Irishman has never boxed and critics have questioned the integrity of a contest against one of the sport's all-time greats.

Hatton, who was stopped by Mayweather in the 10th round when the pair met in 2007, predicts the American could win every round, although accepts there could be plenty of entertainment.

"I cant say I'm a fan of it," Hatton told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek programme.

"I'm a fan of UFC, a fan of McGregor - he's got character, he's exciting, entertaining, value for money.

"I hope I don't upset any Irish fans or Conor, but I can't get excited about this fight one bit.

"It's going to be great entertainment - that's the most complimentary I can be about it. It's two different sports."

Mayweather will reportedly be paid more than £78m for the contest, which will be broadcast on pay-per-view networks across the world.

Hatton places no blame on the fighters for accepting what is likely to be a nine-figure purse, but believes McGregor will struggle to make an impact once the bell sounds.

"When I look at some of the people Mayweather has beaten like Saul Alvarez - he's not going to be as big a puncher as Alvarez, and he couldn't lay a glove on him.

"I feel embarrassed to say this but I'd be very surprised if (McGregor) wins a round.

"I hope he does well, I hope he wins; there's no doubt whose corner I'm in, but if you're asking me to be brutally honest I can't see anything other than a shut-out for Mayweather. I think it could be a 12-round onslaught, to be honest with you.

"Boxing and UFC have to take the blame for it - I don't think you can blame the fighters because it's going to be a stack of money.

"Good luck to the boys. Who's going to turn their back on that? I just can't say I'm a fan of this.

"I'm fans of both sports but they're their own individual sports and they should stick to their own."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/boxing/mayweather-mcgregor/floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-ricky-hatton-criticises-a7796116.html

6/18/17 3:01 PM
9/5/11

This is old, Steve...

6/18/17 6:12 PM
7/26/15

Hatton is a tiny turd.  Irrelevant 

6/18/17 6:15 PM
7/31/12
Hatton is speaking truth though, it's going to be an embarrassment for Conor and I'm rooting for Conor as well.
6/18/17 6:23 PM
10/24/14
NBKfanforlife -

Dickhead. Hatton is a warrior who reached the highest levels of the sport. He said here what most of us are thinking.

6/18/17 6:27 PM
1/1/01
stringtheory - 
NBKfanforlife -

Dickhead. Hatton is a warrior who reached the highest levels of the sport. He said here what most of us are thinking.

Exactly. And respectfully stated even. I don't get the fan who shits on an expert who gives his honest and insightful account. You'd think that type of thing would be appreciated.
6/18/17 6:28 PM
7/12/15
stringtheory -
NBKfanforlife -

Seems to be what NBKfan thinks too but he tends to post negative things like an asshole so it's not surprising I guess. 

6/18/17 6:30 PM
9/5/11
Trane - Hatton is speaking truth though, it's going to be an embarrassment for Conor and I'm rooting for Conor as well.

Conor will very well lose. But there's no embarrassment in becoming ungodly wealthy overnight. 

6/18/17 6:34 PM
10/24/14
SinCityHustler -
stringtheory - 
NBKfanforlife -

Exactly. And respectfully stated even. I don't get the fan who shits on an expert who gives his honest and insightful account. You'd think that type of thing would be appreciated.

Yeah Ricky is a great guy, down to earth and respectful. Boxing is full off rich, big headed cunts  and he is one off the decent blokes.

6/18/17 6:41 PM
8/30/16

Love the honesty of Ricky. I'll be tuned in, but expectations couldn't be lower. I'm most excited to see what Conor does next. 

Worst case scenario, obviously, he retires.

6/18/17 7:05 PM
7/22/15
NBKfanforlife -

Hatton could be 80 and still whoop your sorry ass. keyboard fagot.

6/18/17 7:05 PM
7/22/15

6/18/17 7:43 PM
11/3/08
stringtheory -
SinCityHustler -
stringtheory - 
NBKfanforlife -

Yeah Ricky is a great guy, down to earth and respectful. Boxing is full off rich, big headed cunts  and he is one off the decent blokes.

People like to keep their heads in the sand. He wasn't even disrespectful in voicing his opinion here.

6/18/17 8:55 PM
12/1/10
NBKfanforlife -

Bro you went a little far. 

Ricky is cool as hell and made it to the top. Also a student of boxing for his entire life and is also a huge fan of mma. 

6/18/17 9:03 PM
7/8/09
NBKfanforlife -

He fought the 2 greatest boxers of his time. Although he was destroyed, he does bring perspective. That said, I'm pretty sure Conor would have mauled him too. Conor is too big, too strong, too athletic, has too much reach and is dangerous with BOTH hands.
6/18/17 9:04 PM
5/14/09
NBKfanforlife -

You are irrelevant, Ricky has earned his right to share an informed opinion. What have YOU done?
6/18/17 9:55 PM
1/21/17
NBKfanforlife -

wow!

umm he beat hall of famer Kostya Tzu for the championship of the world.

6/18/17 10:03 PM
1/21/17

6/19/17 12:57 AM
2/16/06
The only part I disagree with is the 12 rounds. I think Mayweather stops him. Conor will be gassed halfway through from throwing power punches that don't land. He'll be desperate for a KO and will drown in deep waters.
6/19/17 7:30 AM
6/26/09
NBKfanforlife -

Irrelevant? Oh the irony.

Whether you agree or not, what Hatton just said is literally the most respectful and level headed opinion I've heard about the maygregor fight since this thing started.
6/19/17 8:36 AM
1/12/05

Hatton was great in his prime. World level great at 140. He was the best brawling swarmer of his era, and he couldn't win a minute against Floyd (referee Joe Cortes called for a break on every clinch, taking Hatton completely out of the fight)

6/19/17 9:04 AM
10/24/14
Bobby Lupo -

Hatton was great in his prime. World level great at 140. He was the best brawling swarmer of his era, and he couldn't win a minute against Floyd (referee Joe Cortes called for a break on every clinch, taking Hatton completely out of the fight)

The refereeing in that fight was absolutely criminal. Still winds me up to this day. 

6/19/17 9:45 AM
1/12/05
stringtheory - 
Bobby Lupo -

The refereeing in that fight was absolutely criminal. Still winds me up to this day. 

Hatton had to fight 2 men, and one was the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world. Fucking awful. 

Ricky was so much better at 140 than 147. Hatton came around just a little too late for Gatti and Ward fights. Those would have been massive. He put a real beating on Malignaggi. Brutal.

6/19/17 10:45 AM
3/13/08
SinCityHustler -
stringtheory - 
NBKfanforlife -

McGregor fans like to live in an alternate reality.

6/19/17 12:45 PM
4/22/07
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite -
NBKfanforlife -

He fought the 2 greatest boxers of his time. Although he was destroyed, he does bring perspective. That said, I'm pretty sure Conor would have mauled him too. Conor is too big, too strong, too athletic, has too much reach and is dangerous with BOTH hands.
Conor maul Ricky? Surely not in a boxing match. Ricky Fatton was a rough mofo.