UnderGround Forums Will Brooks’ UFC performances are baffling to me

24 days ago
8/19/13

The guy was a force in Bellator. Looked like a top 5 guy in his wins over Chandler. Everyone thought he was going to do big things in the UFC but he can’t get past the Cowboy Oliveira’s and Nik Lentz’s of the world.

Was he ever as good as he we thought? Is he another victim of USADA? What gives?

24 days ago
7/22/05

Supposedly from interviews... he had a kid and spent more time with his wife and kid. Stopped going to training or came late. Lost the fire. He said it was back for this fight... but yeah.

24 days ago
5/2/14
I was startled.
24 days ago
8/6/13

He doesn't look different physically to how he looked in Bellator so I don't think USADA is the issue. 

Maybe he just lost the eye of the tiger...

24 days ago
4/20/08
Card -

Supposedly from interviews... he had a kid and spent more time with his wife and kid. Stopped going to training or came late. Lost the fire. He said it was back for this fight... but yeah.

When you have to say "the fire is back" it most likely is not. 

24 days ago
3/17/14
To be fair, he looked great until he got caught.
24 days ago
3/21/12
Non N00B - 
Card -

I still believe in Fedor
24 days ago
8/6/13
knappster - To be fair, he looked great until he got caught.

I'm going to disagree. He was holding his own but he did not look great. 

I'm not a pro fighter but I just cannot see a reason or any benefit to "resetting" that much. 

It makes for a terrible spectacle and will never look good in the judges or the fans eyes. 

24 days ago
11/20/05
Not unusual. He came from Class A ball and is nothing special in the majors.
24 days ago
8/19/13
209'd@170 -

I'm not a pro fighter but I just cannot see a reason or any benefit to "resetting" that much. 

It makes for a terrible spectacle and will never look good in the judges or the fans eyes. 

I’m with you on that one. Do you remember the way Brian Bowles used to reset every 5-10 seconds for no reason? IIt would drive me fucking crazy.

24 days ago
9/9/14
Brooks that's 3 in a row right?

Lentz is tough and he I'm pretty sure Nik did say he owned will pretty much every time they trained together but damn I was pretty sure will was going to take this.
24 days ago
11/20/05
He really looked like a grizzled vet in there. Loved it.
24 days ago
1/1/01

He seems to give up up a little too easy for my liking. He's a front runner.

24 days ago
9/27/15
IronWill - 

The guy was a force in Bellator. Looked like a top 5 guy in his wins over Chandler. Everyone thought he was going to do big things in the UFC but he can’t get past the Cowboy Oliveira’s and Nik Lentz’s of the world.

Was he ever as good as he we thought? Is he another victim of USADA? What gives?

I was wondering the same thing after the fight..I don't think Usada has anything to do with it as he's still ripped go shreds and strong..I thought Brooks would Somewhat through the ranks in Ufc but nope..it's not like he's coming out and gassing or getting caught by great strikers, he's getting subbed.

Tonight against Lentz it seemed Brooks was confused as to what his gameplan was..he jabbed but didn't follow it up with anything..he took down Lentz but again did nothing with it..I'm shocked he is 0-3 in his last 3 fights..wtf

Maybe he has Rashad y drone, in that he is a very good athlete with a strong wrestling background but just can't put it together..thing is though, he was able to in Bellator but not in Ufc..hmm
24 days ago
12/25/15

Yea he was a beast in Bellator I expected him to have a good UFC run.

24 days ago
8/6/13
IronWill -
209'd@170 -

I’m with you on that one. Do you remember the way Brian Bowles used to reset every 5-10 seconds for no reason? IIt would drive me fucking crazy.

Hahaha whoops I thought I was posting in the Mokhtarin thread when I wrote that! 

I guess it applies to Brooks too though. He just doesn't seem to be keeping up the pressure in his UFC fights that he did in his Bellator ones

24 days ago
8/19/13
209'd@170 -
IronWill -
209'd@170 -

Hahaha whoops I thought I was posting in the Mokhtarin thread when I wrote that! 

I guess it applies to Brooks too though. He just doesn't seem to be keeping up the pressure in his UFC fights that he did in his Bellator ones

Any chance to bring up my disdain for Brian Bowles..

24 days ago
8/6/13
IronWill -
209'd@170 -
IronWill -
209'd@170 -

Any chance to bring up my disdain for Brian Bowles..

Im glad I could be of assistance 

23 days ago
1/1/01
He has always been a wrestler that relied on a lot of pressure and control to win decisions.

His striking and submissions have never been elite level.

The hype about him got created because he had the best performance of his career when he finished Chandler in their second fight.

The hype about him also grew when he went public about not being paid and promoted enough in Bellator.

That is really what got fans behind him, all the Bellator haters came out and said, yeah go be a top ten guy and get rich in the UFC.

The hardest thing to do in the sport of MMA is become and remain an elite LW in the UFC. Deepest division in the deepest promotion.

I never thought it would work out well for Brooks in the UFC. With the right fights he can be a .500 UFC LW but that is about it.
23 days ago
1/7/06
I've heard Nick Lentz is an absolute gorilla on the mat. This is mma, anyone can lose at anytime!
23 days ago
8/19/17
Non N00B -
Card -

Yup

23 days ago
6/18/16
BJ Penn Forever - He has always been a wrestler that relied on a lot of pressure and control to win decisions.

The hype about him got created because he had the best performance of his career when he finished Chandler in their second fight.

The hype about him also grew when he went public about not being paid and promoted enough in Bellator.

That is really what got fans behind him, all the Bellator haters came out and said, yeah go be a top ten guy and get rich in the UFC.

The hardest thing to do in the sport of MMA is become and remain an elite LW in the UFC. Deepest division in the deepest promotion.

I never thought it would work out well for Brooks in the UFC. With the right fights he can be a .500 UFC LW but that is about it.
Boom, right on.
23 days ago
8/19/13
BJ Penn Forever - He has always been a wrestler that relied on a lot of pressure and control to win decisions.

Well said. Out of curiosity, how do you think an injury free Chandler does in the UFCs LW division?

Edited: 23 days ago
7/22/05

https://twitter.com/ILLxWillBrooks/

23 days ago
2/27/11
Happens when you dont respect the "chill bro" rule