AcademicGround Applying for Grad school with a weak GPA - advice?

4/1/17 12:58 PM
2/16/05

Hey all - so I've decided to pull the trigger and try and get into a grad program.  I work in healthcare and have access to a program through the local medical school to do research into a healthcare related topic.  Pretty excited and have had a couple of good meetings with the group over there from the admins up to the head of the department and I even have a person interested in supervising me.  Everyone is encouraging me to apply.

Problem is two fold - the first is that because I worked through Uni to pay for it I took longer than the standard 4 years and the second is that due to working two jobs close to full time and school and some family issues my GPA sucks... like 2.3/2.5 sucks.  I have moments of brilliance on my transcripts (including some really tough classes) but no consistency.  

I graduated in '99 so Uni is 18yrs behind me and I have a pretty solid career to point to including presenting original ideas at conferences and some co-authoring credits.

How do I offset a weak GPA?  Do I worry about it given how long ago it was?

Thanks.

4/3/17 8:05 PM
4/7/16

Since your GPA is from 1999, it is really only a matter of what you do from here forward. Sounds like you are doing the right things by getting to know people and making sure that the faculty on on board. I assume you have been admitted. If so, you are set. The GPA does not carry over. Do not worry about the GPA and just work to prove yourself. 

4/30/17 3:40 PM
2/16/05
chepo77 -

Since your GPA is from 1999, it is really only a matter of what you do from here forward. Sounds like you are doing the right things by getting to know people and making sure that the faculty on on board. I assume you have been admitted. If so, you are set. The GPA does not carry over. Do not worry about the GPA and just work to prove yourself. 

Applications open tomorrow for fall intake.  They have decided to look at only 6 of the 30-ish people who expressed interest.  

Toki made the short list.  Gonna be a busy week.

Edited: 7/26/17 9:22 PM
4/7/16
Toki Wartooth -
chepo77 -

Applications open tomorrow for fall intake.  They have decided to look at only 6 of the 30-ish people who expressed interest.  

Toki made the short list.  Gonna be a busy week.

Congrats on the shortlist. I hope it works out for you. Biggest thing going in is to know that you start with a clean slate. Make a positive name for yourself early on and work for the highest GPA possible that first semester. GPA determines funding decisions. Some might not agree with my advice, but grad school should be treated like a career. Give it your all and do not think of it as something extra you are doing. The hard work now will pay off later. 

6/30/17 5:24 PM
2/16/05

Department accepted me.

Dean of Grad Studies signed off.

Holy fuck!  I got in.

7/26/17 9:23 PM
4/7/16
Toki Wartooth -

Department accepted me.

Dean of Grad Studies signed off.

Holy fuck!  I got in.

Congrats. Now the fun begins.