Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Rumor: NWA & TBS Negotiating TV Deal

8 days ago
12/1/11

The National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) might return to the TBS network after well over three decades.

Former Impact Wrestling President, Billy Corgan is reportedly in talks with TBS to air NWA shows on TBS.

Corgan purchased NWA last May, as his purchase became official the following October.

Billy Corgan has embraced an aim to rejuvenate the organization. This includes creating a new YouTube series entitled Ten Pounds of Gold to promote the prestigious NWA world title.

He apparently plans to make NWA the empire it once was in the past. He has stated in an interview,

We want to be part of a new revolution of how wrestling can be consumed by fans and matches can be presented. This NWA brand dates back to 1948. The past few years have not been as kind as we would have liked, but we plan on building this into a powerhouse over time.

Citigroup analyst, Tom Rollins confirmed that NWA had been signed.

TBS Turner Sports president, David Levy has spoke about NWA,

We’ll look [into] late afternoons with the NWA broadcasting and any additional opportunities that become available..

TBS has also noted,

We’re talking to NWA as we speak and if the right model comes into play. Hopefully, we’ll be able to obtain it; it’s possible. We feel like we’re playing with the house’s money. We have the schedule that we wanted, [which is] late afternoons. Is it possible that we pick up a couple [of] extra broadcast? It’s possible. We are talking with NWA, but TBS are only interested in deals that provide good value. Late afternoons with the NWA broadcasting is what we are looking at; 5:00pm – 8:30pm.

Sources have claimed that NWA has demanded a fee for their content to be aired. TBS didn’t comment on this matter.

Source: http://www.thasportsjunkies101.com/

8 days ago
3/2/11

Full circle of hilarity if true.

Good for Billy, he could have gone away after the shit that went down, but he clearly wants to try something his way still.

Good on him.

8 days ago
12/29/09
Cool, I hope it works out.
8 days ago
12/29/09
Who knows how Impact ends up. Now, all new ownership(Anthem without Double J. Moving to Canada....I liked their last ppv, it was fun.
8 days ago
3/8/11

Saturday at 6:05

8 days ago
10/8/07
Late afternoons is lame. Nobody will watch.

What programming does Tbs even have besides reruns of the big bang theory and family guy where they can't put nwa wrestling on at 8 or 9 at night on any night of the week? They literally have zero original programming and their best ratings come from playoff baseball.
8 days ago
1/1/01
This should ONLY happen if they're able to lure Tony Schiavone back for commentary.
8 days ago
1/24/08
Don Brodka -

This exactly 

8 days ago
10/20/07
OJTT_Wiggy - This should ONLY happen if they're able to lure Tony Schiavone back for commentary.
I miss Tony
8 days ago
3/8/11

8 days ago
4/22/07
OJTT_Wiggy - This should ONLY happen if they're able to lure Tony Schiavone back for commentary.
You syracuse slapdick
8 days ago
2/24/07

i would really like to see this happen

8 days ago
3/8/04
Perrywise -
Don Brodka -

This exactly 

Better be that time. I still hate the Braves for making me wait for wrestlingto start when they had day games.
8 days ago
2/9/14
Don Brodka - 

Oh God this. I used to love WCW Saturday Night. People forget that Saturday Night was WCW's RAW before they made Nitro.

I hope it works out. Turner is still a huge wrestling fan. I'm amazed he never got back into it when his no compete ended in 2013. I wonder if he'll try and buy into the NWA.
7 days ago
10/28/07

Sounds good to me!

7 days ago
3/8/04
JohnMc1 -
Don Brodka - 

Oh God this. I used to love WCW Saturday Night. People forget that Saturday Night was WCW's RAW before they made Nitro.

I hope it works out. Turner is still a huge wrestling fan. I'm amazed he never got back into it when his no compete ended in 2013. I wonder if he'll try and buy into the NWA.
Does Turner even still own TBS?
7 days ago
3/8/11
jju -
JohnMc1 -
Don Brodka - 

Does Turner even still own TBS?

I don’t think so.  He lost all kinds of power once the company merged with Time Warner, even more so after AOL came aboard.

7 days ago
12/1/05

Hope this works out

Edited: 7 days ago
3/2/11

After watching the podcast with Rogan, Corgan comes off as straight up genius level intellect. I'm very interested in what his vision is here.

7 days ago
1/14/12
Always good for guys to have more places to work and options.

He should maybe look at the Lucha underground business model or some form of it.
7 days ago
12/10/08
BigTedBear - Always good for guys to have more places to work and options.

He should maybe look at the Lucha underground business model or some form of it.

The business model of losing a shit ton of money

5 days ago
6/22/07
How much good talent is out there that isn't under ROH/TNA/GFW/NJPW contract?
5 days ago
1/1/01
Sergio88 - 

The National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) might return to the TBS network after well over three decades.

Former Impact Wrestling President, Billy Corgan is reportedly in talks with TBS to air NWA shows on TBS.

Corgan purchased NWA last May, as his purchase became official the following October.

Billy Corgan has embraced an aim to rejuvenate the organization. This includes creating a new YouTube series entitled Ten Pounds of Gold to promote the prestigious NWA world title.

He apparently plans to make NWA the empire it once was in the past. He has stated in an interview,

We want to be part of a new revolution of how wrestling can be consumed by fans and matches can be presented. This NWA brand dates back to 1948. The past few years have not been as kind as we would have liked, but we plan on building this into a powerhouse over time.

Citigroup analyst, Tom Rollins confirmed that NWA had been signed.

TBS Turner Sports president, David Levy has spoke about NWA,

We’ll look [into] late afternoons with the NWA broadcasting and any additional opportunities that become available..

TBS has also noted,

We’re talking to NWA as we speak and if the right model comes into play. Hopefully, we’ll be able to obtain it; it’s possible. We feel like we’re playing with the house’s money. We have the schedule that we wanted, [which is] late afternoons. Is it possible that we pick up a couple [of] extra broadcast? It’s possible. We are talking with NWA, but TBS are only interested in deals that provide good value. Late afternoons with the NWA broadcasting is what we are looking at; 5:00pm – 8:30pm.

Sources have claimed that NWA has demanded a fee for their content to be aired. TBS didn’t comment on this matter.

Source: http://www.thasportsjunkies101.com/

please
5 days ago
1/1/01
Roy Batty - How much good talent is out there that isn't under ROH/TNA/GFW/NJPW contract?
A bunch, plus some good names are coming off Impact contracts in the next couple weeks/months that they could use like Lashley and EC3
5 days ago
12/1/05
grizz632 -
Roy Batty - How much good talent is out there that isn't under ROH/TNA/GFW/NJPW contract?
A bunch, plus some good names are coming off Impact contracts in the next couple weeks/months that they could use like Lashley and EC3

No Lashley