David Jacobs' BJJGround 2 Most Powerful Guards?

6/12/18 4:28 PM
9/8/17

A thread on Reddit quoted Keenan as saying, "The two most powerful guards are closed and SLX." With that being said I wanted to know opinions? Your thoughts about whether he is  incorrect? 

6/12/18 5:39 PM
1/1/01
It's all relative. He is very long legged. A guy with short stumpy legs is probably not going to agree with his opinion.

6/12/18 6:05 PM
1/13/06
shen - It's all relative. He is very long legged. A guy with short stumpy legs is probably not going to agree with his opinion.

Correct. 

6/12/18 9:46 PM
5/11/09

I’ve never heard of SLX being referred to as a powerful guard. Perhaps he is getting ready to release a single leg X module on Keenan Online lol. 

Powerful is relative to what we’re talking about. Most powerful for retention, attacking, sweeping? 

Guard Retention - lapel guard or lasso guard 

Sweeping - de la riva or lapel guard 

Attacking - de la riva 

Edited: 6/12/18 9:53 PM
2/9/09

Closed and Half IMO. 

Half Works in Gi and No Gi,works for anyone with any body type, you don’t have to be strong or flexible, easy entries. Etc  Half guard IMO is amazing if you understand it and play it enough 

6/12/18 11:55 PM
9/8/17

Powerful in the context of Jiu Jitsu speaks to being versatile, at least in my mind. There are many options from the particular position for you and less for your opponent. In that sense I tend to agree about SLX being one of the more powerful positions, or maybe more well rounded, as it allows for a high probability of sweeps, submissions, easy accessibility, and safety, with relation to other guards.

6/13/18 9:20 PM
1/1/01
shen - It's all relative. He is very long legged. A guy with short stumpy legs is probably not going to agree with his opinion.

weren't rickson and wallid able to make closed guard work for them? i don't think helio had long legs as well even if he wasn't stumpy.
6/14/18 3:09 PM
10/23/09
The Closed Guard -

Closed and Half IMO. 

Half Works in Gi and No Gi,works for anyone with any body type, you don’t have to be strong or flexible, easy entries. Etc  Half guard IMO is amazing if you understand it and play it enough 

Essentially no one under 200lbs plays half guard consistently and wins anymore. 

6/14/18 5:45 PM
12/6/07
Muffinho -
The Closed Guard -

Closed and Half IMO. 

Care to explain Cybord and Bernardo then?

6/14/18 5:54 PM
1/13/06
Beezer - 
Muffinho -
The Closed Guard -

Closed and Half IMO. 

they're both over 200lbs?

6/14/18 5:54 PM
4/26/13
Beezer -
Muffinho -
The Closed Guard -

Closed and Half IMO. 

He said under 200 pounds, those guys are both over.

Half guard is a great option for bigger guys who don't have the flexibility or speed to rely on open guard.  However, if you are smaller and have a strong open guard, half guard should be your last line of defense.  

6/14/18 5:55 PM
4/26/13
Easters -
Beezer -
Muffinho -
The Closed Guard -

Closed and Half IMO. 

He said under 200 pounds, those guys are both over.

Half guard is a great option for bigger guys who don't have the flexibility or speed to rely on open guard.  However, if you are smaller and have a strong open guard, half guard should be your last line of defense.  

That's in my opinion of course.  If yourre 150 lbs and your half guard is killer, then use your half guard.  I think the "strongest" guard is the one you're best at. 

Edited: 6/15/18 4:39 AM
2/9/09
Muffinho -
The Closed Guard -

Closed and Half IMO. 

Leo Saggasrio (spelling) 

Jeff Glover

Ryan Hall

Letie (who also fought up in weight)

Jake McKenzie

Vagner Rocha

6/15/18 11:07 AM
9/7/17
The Closed Guard - 
Muffinho -
The Closed Guard -

Closed and Half IMO. 

Leo Saggasrio (spelling) 

Jeff Glover

Ryan Hall

Jake McKenzie

Vagner Rocha

Good list. Lachlan Giles is another good smaller guy that's doing well with half guard right now.

6/15/18 12:49 PM
2/9/09
mata_leaos -
The Closed Guard - 
Muffinho -
The Closed Guard -

Closed and Half IMO. 

Leo Saggasrio (spelling) 

Jeff Glover

Ryan Hall

Jake McKenzie

Vagner Rocha

Good list. Lachlan Giles is another good smaller guy that's doing well with half guard right now.

Forgot Garry Tonon and Craig Jones as well

6/15/18 12:58 PM
4/24/08
what about lepri? for half?
6/15/18 2:31 PM
2/28/03

It’s whatever you focus on. 

6/15/18 4:07 PM
2/9/09
falsecrack - what about lepri? for half?

I thought Lepri was big into DLR/sit up guard?

6/15/18 5:22 PM
5/11/11

1lx and deep half. Mechanically it’s probably butterfly or closed guard but I suck ass at them so it’s not.

6/15/18 7:34 PM
10/23/09
The Closed Guard -
Muffinho -
The Closed Guard -

Closed and Half IMO. 

Leo Saggasrio (spelling) 

Jeff Glover

Ryan Hall

Jake McKenzie

Vagner Rocha

0 black belt golds at worlds Zzzz

6/15/18 11:08 PM
2/9/09
Muffinho -
The Closed Guard -
Muffinho -
The Closed Guard -

Closed and Half IMO. 

Leo Saggasrio (spelling) 

Jeff Glover

Ryan Hall

Jake McKenzie

Vagner Rocha

Yet still can do better than you ever can. 

6/16/18 1:42 AM
4/24/08
The Closed Guard - 
falsecrack - what about lepri? for half?

I thought Lepri was big into DLR/sit up guard?

you're right, I was thinking of leite
6/16/18 2:08 AM
3/23/11
juanderlei -

I’ve never heard of SLX being referred to as a powerful guard. Perhaps he is getting ready to release a single leg X module on Keenan Online lol. 

Powerful is relative to what we’re talking about. Most powerful for retention, attacking, sweeping? 

Guard Retention - lapel guard or lasso guard 

Sweeping - de la riva or lapel guard 

Attacking - de la riva 

Your leg attacks might be lacking.

SLX is extremely powerful if you know leg attacks.  Also opens the door for many sweeps and guard transitions.  

6/16/18 10:20 AM
10/23/09
The Closed Guard -
Muffinho -
The Closed Guard -
Muffinho -
The Closed Guard -

Closed and Half IMO. 

Leo Saggasrio (spelling) 

Jeff Glover

Ryan Hall

Jake McKenzie

Vagner Rocha

Yet still can do better than you ever can. 

That literally has nothing to do with the discussion, you dork.

6/16/18 10:51 AM
8/8/09
I'm no wiz on the ground - possibly blue belt level in no gi (never graded) - but I have a liking to playing an open guard that often grapevines my opponent's legs. They all don't like it, and say it's very effective. Is this something common, as I don't see it mentioned much.