David Jacobs' BJJGround Anyone watching Kasai Pro 2 tonight?

Edited: 6 days ago
7/25/13

...Looks to be a great night of grappling. It’s on flowgrappling.

Edited: 6 days ago
5/16/06

Checking out the UC now. looks like a good night of matches.

6 days ago
7/25/13

Nice triangle submission by Craig Jones to start off the round robin. 

5 days ago
4/24/08
watched it. overall I'd give it a C+, but a few of the more promising matches fell victim to stalling / disengaging - especially Cummings vs Canuto and Perez vs Jones. Always going to be the battle with these events to keep the matches exciting
5 days ago
7/25/13
falsecrack - watched it. overall I'd give it a C+, but a few of the more promising matches fell victim to stalling / disengaging - especially Cummings vs Canuto and Perez vs Jones. Always going to be the battle with these events to keep the matches exciting

I agree. I was interested to see how the round robin would translate. Generally I was happy with it, due to being able to see competitors more than once and against multiple opponents. The matches went quick, as well. The super fights didn’t have as much action as I thought, although there were some spurts of excitement. I was surprised how similar games decreased the action, for example Ryan and Martinez had some great exchanges, but could have ended up being a draw if not for the last 30 seconds. I was wondering what would happen if one of them tried to blast through for a double leg when they were taking turns seating and standing. I’m curious to get people’s opinions on how the rule set might have affected the competitors’ game plans.

5 days ago
1/1/01

The refs for the event were just bad, hell I thought I could bitch about the IBJJF refs I see but this was another level.  And I have no clue wtf was going on w the score board

5 days ago
1/1/01
19 -
falsecrack - watched it. overall I'd give it a C+, but a few of the more promising matches fell victim to stalling / disengaging - especially Cummings vs Canuto and Perez vs Jones. Always going to be the battle with these events to keep the matches exciting

I agree. I was interested to see how the round robin would translate. Generally I was happy with it, due to being able to see competitors more than once and against multiple opponents. The matches went quick, as well. The super fights didn’t have as much action as I thought, although there were some spurts of excitement. I was surprised how similar games decreased the action, for example Ryan and Martinez had some great exchanges, but could have ended up being a draw if not for the last 30 seconds. I was wondering what would happen if one of them tried to blast through for a double leg when they were taking turns seating and standing. I’m curious to get people’s opinions on how the rule set might have affected the competitors’ game plans.

To me for the super fights a better ruleset would have been for the first 10min to allow pts and the last 5min no points.  This way if you are down you are going to be aggressive as hell trying to get the finish as now you know you have no other alternative.  Instead for matches like w Cummings vs Renato we had Renato running for 10min and every once in awhile attempting a cart wheel and then in the last 5min FINALLY engaging.

5 days ago
1/1/01
ttt for results
5 days ago
2/5/06

It was interesting but I don’t like the points. The action was good but I think could have been better without the points and stalling coming into play. 

5 days ago
4/24/08
Cummings won by points - he got 1 pt for a near sub I think?

Nicky Ryan by refs dec

Matteus Diniz won the 8 man middle weight tourney, he looked very good with his usual tight guard passing. had 1 sub and 3 wins, including the finals, via points

Mike Perez took 2nd, he looked good at times, but played a very strategic, point based game that wasn't very fan friendly especially when he took on Craig Jones - scored with a sweep early and then spent the rest of the match disengaging from Jones. actually got a point against him for stalling.

Craig Jones took 3rd by beating Richie Martinez via heelhook

5 days ago
7/25/13
Hunter V -
19 -

To me for the super fights a better ruleset would have been for the first 10min to allow pts and the last 5min no points.  This way if you are down you are going to be aggressive as hell trying to get the finish as now you know you have no other alternative.  Instead for matches like w Cummings vs Renato we had Renato running for 10min and every once in awhile attempting a cart wheel and then in the last 5min FINALLY engaging.

Interesting take on the points situation. I agree that the super fight points rule set likely led to conservative rolling until the end.

4 days ago
5/16/06
falsecrack - Cummings won by points - he got 1 pt for a near sub I think?

Nicky Ryan by refs dec

Matteus Diniz won the 8 man middle weight tourney, he looked very good with his usual tight guard passing. had 1 sub and 3 wins, including the finals, via points

Mike Perez took 2nd, he looked good at times, but played a very strategic, point based game that wasn't very fan friendly especially when he took on Craig Jones - scored with a sweep early and then spent the rest of the match disengaging from Jones. actually got a point against him for stalling.

Craig Jones took 3rd by beating Richie Martinez via heelhook

The Perez match really turned me off. Its like I was at Pan Ams. Let go of the points.
3 days ago
9/7/17

Walked away from this tournament most impressed with Matheus Diniz. Diniz has always been a beast but it's been a long time since I've seen someone without the gi pass so cleanly with ease. Also had a really sweet submission in his next to last match.

Craig Jones' harai goshi was very awesome as well as his triangle and heel hook on Boogey, who looked impressive himself as well.

Nicky Ryan is also the man.