Revgear League BJJGround Arm triangle/neck crank

11 days ago
8/26/13
I'm practising it and sometimes it's a clean blood choke. Half the times it is a neck crank because of some detail I don't understand. It happens more often in guard than the side control.

Give me all the details for the arm triangle (from side mount and especially guard).
11 days ago
1/1/01
use rnc grip and mechanics to choke. shift wieght or use legs to stretch the neck and do crank.
11 days ago
8/26/13
Sgt. Slaphead - use rnc grip and mechanics to choke. shift wieght or use legs to stretch the neck and do crank.
I appreciate the detail.
11 days ago
2/28/06
10 days ago
5/15/09

I don't like the RNC grip. I like going palm to palm with the choke arm very very deep, and sinking down as flat as possible. Similar to finishing a north south choke like Marcelo.

Important note for the arm triangle is that you shouldn't feel tension in your arms, if you're squeezing, you're probably cranking the neck. Pressure should be a relaxed sinking/melting feeling because you take up all the space first.

9 days ago
8/17/12

Ryan halls DVD is money. Also watch braulio estima' s arm triangle stuff. He's a guy that's used it successfully at the highest level

9 days ago
3/16/06

It is one of the few times in jiu jitsu I use this grip instead of a gable grip.  This was the only pic I could find of it.

From mount, I will either catch the opponent's elbow high or I will spider walk an underhook around their head to force the arm up.  Look away from the opponent and drop your head low under their armpit.  Keep the choke arm loose as it shoots as deep as possible under their head.  Then slide your head up to tighten up the grip, keeping your forehead on the mat.  Using the above grip, I keep my forearms flat to the mat and parallel to their shoulders.  As I dismount, I drop my hips to the mat and turn my head into theirs.  This forces my head under theirs and tightens the choke.  If I need to tighten further, I will use my knee over their hip to push myself away from their body without them following.

IMO, the head and arm choke is one of the most nuanced submissions because everything is by feel.  A huge percentage of BJJers don't understand the choke, similar to leglocks.

9 days ago
8/26/13
nowaydo -
Very informative video. Voted up.
9 days ago
7/25/11
Reduce cranks by keeping your elbows on the ground with bicep close to neck.

If the far side elbow elevates, it will put your forearm's radius bone over the small joints in the neck.

I shot a video a while back showing this.

https://youtu.be/IKu6UTwkIX0
7 days ago
12/26/02

I actually teach this technique both ways, so that my students can tell the difference.

Once the arms are locked into place, the finishes are:

1)  Blood Choke

Walk the elbows together, like the "pec fly" machine at the gym.  You can do this by wiggling your shoulders back and forth to walk each one. Squeeze inwards in the "pec fly" plane.

2)  Neck Crank

Drive your weight forward and down, and pull the forearm that is under the neck towards your belly.  

A lot depends on the shape of your partner's neck & shoulders - very wide or very thin will both present problems with cleanly finishing one vs the other.  The length and thickness of your arms will also play a significant role.

5 days ago
7/12/03
I made this for some students a few years back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFHTmbGKHGI
5 days ago
7/12/03
nowaydo - 

Good video, from the side I dont sprawl or go on knees I keep hips up and push from the balls of my feet into the choke.
5 days ago
7/12/03
Stupidnewbie - 

It is one of the few times in jiu jitsu I use this grip instead of a gable grip.  This was the only pic I could find of it.

From mount, I will either catch the opponent's elbow high or I will spider walk an underhook around their head to force the arm up.  Look away from the opponent and drop your head low under their armpit.  Keep the choke arm loose as it shoots as deep as possible under their head.  Then slide your head up to tighten up the grip, keeping your forehead on the mat.  Using the above grip, I keep my forearms flat to the mat and parallel to their shoulders.  As I dismount, I drop my hips to the mat and turn my head into theirs.  This forces my head under theirs and tightens the choke.  If I need to tighten further, I will use my knee over their hip to push myself away from their body without them following.

IMO, the head and arm choke is one of the most nuanced submissions because everything is by feel.  A huge percentage of BJJers don't understand the choke, similar to leglocks.

We call that a C grip