David Jacobs' BJJGround Attention Shen Gjj bearhug move in Sambo

2/11/18 5:56 PM
1/1/01

Shen,

Here is the Sambo version of that Gjj bearhug self-defense move you hate so much... 14:23

2/11/18 6:43 PM
1/1/01

Ok, great.

I learned that move as a child in my judo/jujitsu class in 1978 at the Santa Monica YMCA, from Jim Neto. I have seen it in old Wrestling books from the 1940s --its an old wrestling move as well.

STILL not the best way to deal with that attack.

If I was going to teach ONE response to that a rear beahug attack, bending over in front of my attacker and grabbing his ankle would simply NOT be it.

Sorry, if that upsets you.

Edited: 2/12/18 2:26 PM
1/1/01
It doesn't upset me.

First off, this is NOT the only way to defend against the rear bearhug.

Secondly, if you really had any wrestling experience/knowledge you know that bending forward and creating base is one of the BEST way of preventing being thrown from the rear bearhug position.... ask any Greco Roman wrestlers. They don't grab the leg because that's illegal in Greco Roman wrestling BUT they certainly bent over in front of their opponent and create a base.

In summary: The move is to FIRST create a base to prevent being thrown than go for the leg..
Edited: 2/13/18 12:50 AM
1/1/01
m.g - It doesn't upset me.

First off, this is NOT the only way to defend against the rear bearhug.

Secondly, if you really had any wrestling experience/knowledge you know that bending forward and creating base is one of the BEST way of preventing being thrown from the rear bearhug position.... ask any Greco Roman wrestlers. They don't grab the leg because that's illegal in Greco Roman wrestling BUT they certainly bent over in front of their opponent and create a base.

In summary: The move is to FIRST create a base to prevent being thrown than go for the leg..

I realize there are MANY ways to defend anything, obviously.

But we're talking about self-defense curriculum here, on the STREET I would not bend over and reach for an ankle. There are of course many wrestling moves that are NOT appropriate for a self-defense situation.

BTW, I wrestled at Santa Monica High School,  that's where I learned most of my wrestling, as did my twin brother and my older brother. And I have learned more wrestling as an adult. So to say "if you really had any wrestling experience/ knowledge you know that..." is a very douchy, passive-aggressive and frankly ridiculous thing to say.

If you don't like my opinion on GJJ self-defense, ignore me. No need to thread stalk.

2/12/18 6:36 PM
6/8/06
Just do the Aikido rear bear-hug defense. Worked for me once.
2/12/18 9:49 PM
8/13/04

I’ve been on this forum for nearly 20 years. MG posts typically mirror Shen’s description. Dude why obsess over difference of opinion? If you disagree with Shen move on.  To stalk him and question his credibility is ridiculous.   Do it your way and let a black belt do it his way 

2/12/18 10:42 PM
2/8/11

Semi off-topic, but what's everyone's preferred rear bearhug escape?

2/13/18 1:09 AM
1/1/01
Jasonbaldy - 

I’ve been on this forum for nearly 20 years. MG posts typically mirror Shen’s description. Dude why obsess over difference of opinion? If you disagree with Shen move on.  To stalk him and question his credibility is ridiculous.   Do it your way and let a black belt do it his way 

Yeah, I've never quite understood the combative attitude towards other posters when it comes to technique.

There are MANY "correct" ways to do any move in BJJ and there are many choices for techniques in any situation. Opinions & preferences vary at even the highest levels of BJJ ; what's "right" to someone may be "wrong" to someone else. Also, people's opinions also change over time.

This stuff is not written in stone.

2/15/18 6:53 PM
1/1/01
Jasonbaldy - 

Dude... you can't be serious!?

As far as I am concerned this forum is full of people obsessed over opinions (regardless if there is an agreement or disagreement). Shen has disagreed and posted his disagreement with others on this forum as much as I or anyone else has. So for him or you to be ultra sensitive about my opinion of his opinion is hypercritical

THIS IS A DISCUSSION FORUM FOR GODSAKES!

That's what people do on DISCUSSION forums they discuss stuff. They share opinions. If you don't like people questioning your opinion then you should keep your opinion to yourself.
2/15/18 9:01 PM
11/10/05

I think it's all been fairly respectful... I think there's some veiled condescension that's not really needed between guys who have been a part of this community for so long, but it's all good.

Personally, I'd be pretty hesitant to put myself into a position where I could have my skull bounced off the sidewalk. Self defense isn't generally for rooms of padded floors. Also, you've got to remember that self-defense is the simplest most move with high effectiveness. You're not planning on going against someone who's a trained professional where he's subtley countered the first 3 most common moves. 

Edited: 2/15/18 10:34 PM
12/21/04
joe_mama -

I'm going to bend forward a bit, probably less than 45 degrees, and step out diagonally with one foot to stabilize my base and establish good balance. I'm going to move around a bit, or move with my enemy if he tries to move me, and when I feel some space I will try and turn back into my opponent. How much I am able to turn and where my enemy's feet are in relation to mine will dictate whether I attempt tani otoshi, kosoto gari/gake, or kouchi gari/gake. Of course I will avoid going for a takedown if the turning in by itself breaks the grip enough where I am able to disengage. I will do this regardless if they bear hug over or under my arms.   

Edited: 2/15/18 10:43 PM
12/21/04

Check this out. Granted, the bear hug lock is never secured, but this is awesome.  

2/16/18 8:54 AM
8/20/16
joe_mama -

If my hands are free I would go for a kimura (but I have trouble against really strong grips -- I wish we drilled this more) and if my hands are trapped I try to step one leg behind them and use my hands to lift them up and over my hips.

But now that I think about it, the grabbing-the-leg thing is probably the best option because of its simplicity. I'm not sure why Shen objects to it. If you've got arms free to grab the leg, you've also got arms free to block the ground if you get dumped on your head.

2/16/18 9:40 AM
11/10/05

It's interesting to see that on a bjj forum only grappling technique is being used... 

I'd be doing that as well, but whether I went for the kimura or simply tried to create space into an arm drag or turning into an outside trip to mount, I'd sure as shit be looking at throwing an elbow at his head b/c most people aren't keeping it in a space spot pinned against the shoulder blades.

2/16/18 3:13 PM
1/1/01
Aaron Lapointe,

This is off topic but I must thank you for all your post over the years. One of my classmates has a deformed arm so I suggested he look at your videos. He has become one of your biggest fan. I gives me chills to think about how much you inspire him. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with us!
2/16/18 11:35 PM
12/21/04
m.g - Aaron Lapointe,

This is off topic but I must thank you for all your post over the years. One of my classmates has a deformed arm so I suggested he look at your videos. He has become one of your biggest fan. I gives me chills to think about how much you inspire him. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with us!

Thanks m.g. I've always enjoyed being a part of this forum. Glad your teammate is liking jiu-jitsu.