Revgear League BJJGround Awesome Ralph Gracie story

4 days ago
1/1/01
Maybe this is old news, but it was the first I'd heard of this story so I thought I would share. It's from a Cesar Gracie facebook post where he told of the time he, Rigan, Rickson, and Ralph went skiing at Big Bear and had to sleep in a car overnight.

"Fighting was invariably part of the culture and where there was fighting there was Ralph.
Although of small stature Ralph was not the guy to start a fight with. Many a club goer chose a confrontation with him to impress a girl or his friends with. This was a mistake.

Ralph's reputation grew as he never backed down from a challenge. He wasn't a bully but if you messed with him it was showtime.

Competing or fighting was similar to him; a challenge to be won. Even training was a test of him against you and there were no 'friendly rolls'.

It all mattered and if you were to beat him he would come at you daily and harder until he broke you down and beat you.

One time we overheard of a guy at the beach who was kicking everyone's ass and making life miserable for people. Ralph immediately took up the challenge to confront the guy. Upon arriving at the beach he found out the guy being spoken of was him!"
4 days ago
1/1/01

Cliff Notes: Ralph Gracie went to the beach one time, and nothing happened 

4 days ago
1/1/01
lol
4 days ago
8/3/12
I can totally see why they'd want to sleep in a car over this!
4 days ago
3/15/15
How is this awesome.
Here are the facts about Ralph Gracie as elucidated by others who were around him:
1) He was a bully who used to beat up innocents who ventured onto their "turf" on the beach (aided by Ryan, too)

2) He was such a tough guy, that he refused to fight Eugenio Tadeau in Extreme fighting, without modified rules, and a time extension. He, of course, had no problem fighting people in the cage with no NHB experience.

3) HE was a highly insecure and unstable guy who needed to prove himself by acting tough in front of others. Others, like Camarillo speak to a personality flaw, in which he would abuse, and hurt others with little remorse, under the guise of "training".

He might have matured up now, and perhaps feels sorry for some of the stuff he did, we all do later in life, but let's not pretend he was awesome, especially when there are many awesome people doing great things. But I'm not judging him on who he is today. Most of us change.
4 days ago
1/1/01
Good lord. The story is awesome, and in my opinion funny. I'm not saying Ralph is awesome - I've never even met the guy.

Let me break it down for you:

Guy who thinks he's standing up to bullies hears there's a new big bad bully in town, so he goes down to challenge him, only to find out HE'S the bully people are talking about. It's practically the definition of irony.
4 days ago
1/1/01
HotSteppa - How is this awesome.
Here are the facts about Ralph Gracie as elucidated by others who were around him:
1) He was a bully who used to beat up innocents who ventured onto their "turf" on the beach (aided by Ryan, too)

2) He was such a tough guy, that he refused to fight Eugenio Tadeau in Extreme fighting, without modified rules, and a time extension. He, of course, had no problem fighting people in the cage with no NHB experience.

3) HE was a highly insecure and unstable guy who needed to prove himself by acting tough in front of others. Others, like Camarillo speak to a personality flaw, in which he would abuse, and hurt others with little remorse, under the guise of "training".

He might have matured up now, and perhaps feels sorry for some of the stuff he did, we all do later in life, but let's not pretend he was awesome, especially when there are many awesome people doing great things. But I'm not judging him on who he is today. Most of us change.

4 days ago
2/8/11

Funny stuff. This happened in an episode of Spongebob as well. Also Fight Club to an extent.

4 days ago
12/14/05
Ralph never had to act rough, he is tough and backed it up. Many thought he was ridiculously tough on students, some say crazy, a maniac, but he made some of the toughest BJJ students in his time, including Camarillo. BJ still says Ralph is one of the craziest and toughest mofos he's ever met. Renzo, Ralph and Ryan in the same household, some craziness there.
4 days ago
12/15/09
Seems like a dick by all accounts.
3 days ago
5/23/13
What special rules did he want versus Tadeau? A little random, but I saw a few years back that Eugenio had gotten into politics and was running for office
3 days ago
8/27/08

Coward who punched Booby Southworth when Bobby was on crutches. Used to beat up his students to toughen them up but never fought them when they were of equal skill.

3 days ago
1/1/01

^Behold the speaking placenta

3 days ago
4/2/13

Have a very close friend and Relson 4th Degree BB who trained with Ralph for a number of years say that his teaching style was not very different from ours in Hawaii.  I guess we're a bunch of dicks.

Edited: 3 days ago
11/18/05
Robobear -

Have a very close friend and Relson 4th Degree BB who trained with Ralph for a number of years say that his teaching style was not very different from ours in Hawaii.  I guess we're a bunch of dicks.

Smashing people who are worse but not rolling with people of equal or better standards?

3 days ago
8/27/08
Robobear -

Trained with Relson many times. He's stern and runs hard classes but he's not abusive or a dick.

3 days ago
2/26/07
Man, has r/bjj started leaking into the UG? Really hope not because I get enough whiny vaginas over there
3 days ago
4/30/08

I thought this thread was going to be about Big Bear ski trip and what happened while they were trying to sleep in a car, i.e. Did they fight?

Disappointed!

3 days ago
3/15/15
AlphaTardTravisFan - What special rules did he want versus Tadeau? A little random, but I saw a few years back that Eugenio had gotten into politics and was running for office

It is all hazy now, but I DO remember Ralph requesting more time, or longer rounds as it would take longer to finish Eugenio. Then the claim was that the fight couldn't happen because Ralph had visa problems. John Peretti finally admitted later that the visa issue never happened and Ralph was ducking Eugenio because he knew he might very well lose. Renzo fought Eugenio a couple years later, and was gassing by the end before the riot broke out. Ralph was only good at fighting scrubs.
When he actually faced someone with fighting experience and skill he was decimated in under 20 seconds. He fought Takanori Gomi at Pride Bushido 3 and Gomi casually times a kick and then knees as Ralph was shooting in with his hands down. Fastest KO in Pride history.

3 days ago
1/1/01
Muay Tired - 

I thought this thread was going to be about Big Bear ski trip and what happened while they were trying to sleep in a car, i.e. Did they fight?

Disappointed!

I don't think Cesar ever finished that story. I'm not sure how it ended - I think they all died.
3 days ago
1/1/01
HotSteppa -
AlphaTardTravisFan - What special rules did he want versus Tadeau? A little random, but I saw a few years back that Eugenio had gotten into politics and was running for office

It is all hazy now, but I DO remember Ralph requesting more time, or longer rounds as it would take longer to finish Eugenio. Then the claim was that the fight couldn't happen because Ralph had visa problems. John Peretti finally admitted later that the visa issue never happened and Ralph was ducking Eugenio because he knew he might very well lose. Renzo fought Eugenio a couple years later, and was gassing by the end before the riot broke out. Ralph was only good at fighting scrubs.
When he actually faced someone with fighting experience and skill he was decimated in under 20 seconds. He fought Takanori Gomi at Pride Bushido 3 and Gomi casually times a kick and then knees as Ralph was shooting in with his hands down. Fastest KO in Pride history.

indeed, scrubs like Mishima, and the Tadeu theory is rediculous, Charles had a win over Tadeu, and with all respect to Charles, wasn't quite on the same level as Ralph. About the Renzo/Tadeu fight, maybe you should watch the pentagon event again, or maybe for the first time.

3 days ago
3/15/15

in what event did Charles Gracie fight Tadeu? I've never heard of that, and it isn't listed in his fight record.

The Ralph Gracie story is true because I knew about it then too as it happened. Eugenio was a Vale Tudo fighter and Ralph new that he couldn't beat him like the others. The visa excuse was used, but it was not true. Believe it or not. It happened. Ralph was ducking him. 

The only people that Ralph could submit in MMA were people with little experience. Mishima went to a decision, and there is iterally no one else he fought who was game, except Gomi, would exploited his poor entry technique and was not afraid of him one bit.

I'm not saying he wasn';t tough and good, but not an awesome guy like everyone states. 

3 days ago
1/1/01
HotSteppa - 

in what event did Charles Gracie fight Tadeu? I've never heard of that, and it isn't listed in his fight record.

The Ralph Gracie story is true because I knew about it then too as it happened. Eugenio was a Vale Tudo fighter and Ralph new that he couldn't beat him like the others. The visa excuse was used, but it was not true. Believe it or not. It happened. Ralph was ducking him. 

The only people that Ralph could submit in MMA were people with little experience. Mishima went to a decision, and there is iterally no one else he fought who was game, except Gomi, would exploited his poor entry technique and was not afraid of him one bit.

I'm not saying he wasn';t tough and good, but not an awesome guy like everyone states. 

Who in this thread has said he's an awesome guy?

I'll go one further - who do you know who says he's an awesome guy?
3 days ago
3/15/15
Rhymenoceros -
HotSteppa - 

Who in this thread has said he's an awesome guy?

I'll go one further - who do you know who says he's an awesome guy?

quite a few people on here, in the past. 

3 days ago
4/2/13
thebasher -
Robobear -

Smashing people who are worse but not rolling with people of equal or better standards?

I never heard that about him.  BJ trained with us for a little while also and confirmed Ralph rolled with everyone.