David Jacobs' BJJGround Craig Jones - The Z Guard Encyclopedia DVD Review

Edited: 3/23/18 4:32 AM
3/11/18

I wanted to share my opinion on Craig Jones -  The Z Guard Encyclopedia

For all of you interested in Craig's DVD you can find it HERE.

I believe you'll agree that Craig is probably the only guy who came near the efficiency of the Danaher Death Squad leg lock system. And he showed his leg lock very well in his Down Under Leg attacks system. And in fights with Gordon Ryan and others he showed that he have a lot more tricks in his bag than we could assume. And it's not only about heel hooks, although they play a huge role in his gameplay. It's more about his guard and the way he plays it. That's why he made z-guard DVD I guess.

So, I bought the Z Guard Encyclopedia DVD 2 weeks ago and I'll share my view on it.

The First DVD starts with his unique way of entering into the Z-Guard. This is something I've being missing I guess. It makes sense if you had problems with getting people in when they're knee cutting you. I tried it numerous times and it works great. After that he's trying to explain the best ways to keep your opponent there and I really liked all of his tricks.  There will be some more submissions like guillotine, armbar etc... but in my opinion getting your opponents in the Z Guard and keeping them there is the main hink on this first DVD and it's worth watching, remembering and drilling as it's a game changer. Also, the omoplata at the end of a DVD is really cool.

The second dvd is based on Reverse De La Riva. 

Craig Jones really offers a great ways to integrate reverse de la riva into the z guard. You can use it to save your guard, to attack and he really explains it great. It works pretty good for me. There are also a lot of other options like tornado guard (Cyborg's guard) and all other inverting tricks etc...

Also Craig definitely had to show some heel hooks so here you have them. From 50 50 guard, scissor heel hooks, standing heel hooks and it's also nice.

The third DVD is based on De La riva guard and mixture of Single leg x, x guard and most notably reverse x guard

He really tried to explain all the benefits and tricks from all these guards and how easy it is to incorporate it into your game of z Guard and control. 

I msut say i was impressed with reverse X Guard. It's really something new to me and it's working GREAT! It's really something that your opponents can't figure out no matter how many timees you do it to them. It's AWESOME, really. There is also some berimbolo incorporation in all of this and it's awesome.

Conclusion:

I can really say this is z guard encyclopedia. And z Guard is becoming the major guard in BJJ. It doesn't matter if you're saving your guard from being passed or you're trying to attack your opponent it's all here. It will make two good things to your guard. It will raise your submission game to a new heights and it will make you really dangerous from the back with so much control. 

So if you want to work from z Guard, learn z guard or to improve it this one is for you. There's really no better instructional till now. There's also a Craig Jones z guard masterclass DVD that he did with Kit Dale but that's 50% passing and 50% bottom game. And this Z-Guard Encyclopedia is only about z Guard and there's about 5 times more of bottom z guard game in Encyclopedia. 

You can check the DVD and list of techniques HERE.

I also bought Craig Jones Down under leg attacks DVDs so if someone will be interested I can write about it too.

3/12/18 3:29 AM
3/23/11

Mind giving your belt rank and years training? 

Thanks for the review. 

3/12/18 5:19 AM
7/25/13

In.

3/12/18 6:04 AM
11/18/05

Slightly dubious that this is your first ever post on the forum... 

3/12/18 6:49 AM
2/21/11
Buy a grey name if you are going to hawk dvds here.

But the dvds are really good.
3/12/18 2:23 PM
3/11/18
ticker -

Mind giving your belt rank and years training? 

Thanks for the review. 

Training around 6-7 years and I'm Purple for 2 years, will be brown soon.

3/12/18 9:32 PM
9/10/12
ChopFooey -

Yup.

LOL

Amazing to me people don’t think that people would look at the post count of a thread promoter and make an instant judgement.

3/12/18 10:59 PM
3/11/18
Judge Mental -
ChopFooey -

Yup.

LOL

Amazing to me people don’t think that people would look at the post count of a thread promoter and make an instant judgement.

haha I don't get it, really? :)

Edited: 3/13/18 12:59 PM
1/1/01
Its a good review and Craig has some great stuff to share.
Edited: 3/13/18 1:01 PM
1/1/01
There is a good documentary that was just made about Craig on Youtube that I watched last night. Really cool to see his story.
3/13/18 8:44 PM
2/21/11
Cokica - 
Judge Mental -
ChopFooey -

Yup.

LOL

Buy a grey name if you are going to hawk dvds here.
It comes across as a sales pitch, especially when you embed links to the dvds in your post.
Question, do you train at Absolute?
Do you have an interest in the sales of his dvds?
3/13/18 9:00 PM
3/11/18

"Slightly dubious that this is your first ever post on the forum... " - This is something I didn't understand...

I'm here to talk very most of the time.

Absolute?? Who's dvds??

3/13/18 9:58 PM
2/21/11
Cokica - 

"Slightly dubious that this is your first ever post on the forum... " - This is something I didn't understand...

I'm here to talk very most of the time.

Absolute?? Who's dvds??

Ok you are a shill trying to sell dvds without a grey name. Noted.
3/14/18 12:52 AM
1/1/01

I didn't read the thread, been WAY too busy watching the new Shen X-TREME Z Guard DVD --It's geting AMAZING reviews, which I would be glad to share, if you guys are interested.

3/14/18 1:49 AM
9/10/12
Cokica -
Judge Mental -
ChopFooey -

Yup.

LOL

Yea. You signed up to hawk Jones DVDs.

They very well could be great but you signed up to do that. No need to lie about it

3/14/18 8:52 AM
12/17/11
Amateur Hour...

Those links have a referral number
3/14/18 11:33 AM
7/25/13
BJJ Scout on YouTube has a nice breakdown of Craig Jones’ guard game.
3/14/18 11:50 PM
1/1/01

"Absolute?? Who's dvds??"

3/16/18 3:01 PM
1/1/01
"haha I don't get it, really? :)"

What a total dick.
Edited: 3/16/18 8:02 PM
4/25/11

Lol so whos referral number is that?

3/16/18 8:57 PM
3/11/18
CountKomaNewsletter - "haha I don't get it, really? :)"

What a total dick.

Why are you so negative man?

3/16/18 9:53 PM
2/21/11
This is turning out terribly for OP.
3/16/18 10:06 PM
3/11/18
carcaju - This is turning out terribly for OP.

Exactly! Without any normal reason! There's a normal way to say something without insulting insinuations and stuff like that.

3/18/18 9:59 PM
3/11/18
Wilders of the Lost Each -
Cokica -
carcaju - This is turning out terribly for OP.

Exactly! Without any normal reason! There's a normal way to say something without insulting insinuations and stuff like that.

Weeeell yeah :) On forum support because I can't see changes in colors eventhough I payed :)

3/19/18 10:57 AM
9/7/17

I think it's interesting that when RDLR came around a lot of people said the Z guard was dead or no longer as effective and that RDLR was preferable in almost every way. Now all of a sudden Z guard is hot again.

What is hot and what is not BJJ goes in cycles and I think that's one of the coolest parts of the art.

I never got that into Z guard so I'm excited to check this out when I get some extra money. I loved Craig's leg lock set.