Revgear League BJJGround For JJ global to work Ricksons gotta change

Edited: 7 days ago
1/1/01

Look guys right off the bat please dont take this wrong.. im and old school BJJ fanatic at it since 1996 up here in the frosty north of canada. i drank the koolaid 100 percent and trained to be able to test my skills in the UFC just like the heroes i grew up watching (royce/bustmante/vitor) .. so please understand i dont mean this disrespectfully but Rickson has gotta go... atleast as the spokesperson of the JJ global federation..

The man is clearly a BJJ savant watching his free seminar from the weekend the guy is teaching what appears to be faily basic technique but is going DEEP in what was one of the best lessons ive seen online in a long time BUT hes too much of a swami

These kids today they dont care about pride of mma or flow of jiu-jitsu all they wanna know is can he bolo??? No BOLO ok forget him lol

ricksons a great figure head and is dropped gems of wisdom for those looking for them but how are we as a group "the large majority of bjj practitioners not elite IBJJF competitiors" going to ge the masses to take a fair look at whats being suggested on the other side of the fence with  JJ global and a less sports approach to the art if they continouslty disrespect the work these other guys are doing.

i agree with everything he is saying but i know in todays day and age of snapchat kids how on earth are they going to sit through 5 mins of analogy to finally get to the point "if they can figuure out the message at all" people jsut dont have the attention span or any frame of reference to take these guys words for it..

i see BJJEE and every other site hyping the master up but they are missing the point as always its not about HIM or who he could beat in his prime but WHAT is this shift in approach going to to for YOU the practiitioner.

imagine if RENZO or even EDDIE BRAVO was the head of the JJ global push ?? it would be huge.. i wanna see this thing work because i agree its the a vaiable path for more people to get into the art but it just not going to happen like this.

does anyone have ricksons ear? is he open to working with others? Am i crazy??

7 days ago
2/28/06
ttt
7 days ago
10/15/06

The valetudo guard details from the seminar were great 

7 days ago
6/22/03
Got a link for this seminar?
7 days ago
1/1/01
Hargreaves -

The valetudo guard details from the seminar were great 

I'd say that's a small bit of it, much more to it. The problem is many people don't have the foundation laid to do it as iilustrated d his point about open guard. A couple weeks back m.g. made a threead about advance training in BJJ.....another example of what should be laid as the foundation of jiujitsu.

Jiujitsu is all about monkey-fukery nowadays. Imagine if BJJJers put a quarter of the energy into advancing the martial art/fighting aspect of BJJ.

7 days ago
4/28/06
Depends on the school IMO... I don't see much "monkey fuckery" where I train. In my experience it was more popular a few years ago.
7 days ago
1/1/01
here's the link to the seminar

https://www.facebook.com/ricksongraciecup/

i think the guys so good and well respected that nobody wants to tell him what needs to be done on a organization / structural level
wastn lil tony working with those guys for a bit?
7 days ago
11/10/05

thanks for the link.

agree that I really wish he would work more closely with IBJJF: belt standards, rule modifications, super fights or grand prixs that have rules beneficial to takedowns or top time. Imagine if you had a grand prix that only had takedowns in the first round? Or a sub only tournament where top time was the tie breaker... I'm not saying that these are the specific answers. I'm just saying that there is room to work with the most influential and standardized organized around rather than fracturing what is there. At least take the freakin' belt system.

I also think the Rickson's method of teaching is too mystical for many. His discussions on base and connectivity alone never involve anything specific in terms on mechanics or basic physics. If he worked with someone with a scientific bent that spoke with precision, I think his concepts would flourish.

7 days ago
1/1/01
ya the kids today they arent ready for that but also at the same time a lot of the what would have been kung fu / karate mystical guys are the same ones now all over rickson thinkinghe represents some short cut to skill or legitimacy..

i dont really want him with IBJJF as there is some validity to what hes saying but just a different message being sent out to the people on the fence will make a big difference
7 days ago
11/10/05
Claude Patrick - ya the kids today they arent ready for that but also at the same time a lot of the what would have been kung fu / karate mystical guys are the same ones now all over rickson thinkinghe represents some short cut to skill or legitimacy..

i dont really want him with IBJJF as there is some validity to what hes saying but just a different message being sent out to the people on the fence will make a big difference

You say that as if there isn't validity to the IBJJF. 

There are some frustrating things to make fun of about them, but by and large they've taken bjj to the next level globally through well run competitions and with a decent set of standards overall. It's a significant achievement that should be built upon.

Edited: 7 days ago
1/1/01

Truth be told, I have sent a letter to Rickson asking him to possibly consider stepping aside for the betterment of the organization. I also humbly offered my name --if needed-- be thrown into the hat for consideration as the new Grandmaster of the JJGF

Such an organization really needs to helmed by a RED BELT, and as we have seen, Rickson is not 100% comfortable in that role, whereas I already have years of experience as such in my own organization.

Really though, I am just here to help out, if I can be of service. No ego. No agenda.

7 days ago
1/1/01

If Rickson changes anything it needs to be in regards to teaching more in the open public and being a actual presence, as historically bjj legends love to talk about starting new orgs to change things and it always runs flat.  You can bitch about the IBJJF all you want but the reality is that Carlinhios is still around putting in work to the sport side of things and is ever present whereas most that bitch haven't put in 1/20th of the work he has.  

And bjj is bjj, its in the details that make it work no matter what the arena of combat.  If anything it gets grating hearing people bitch so much about "sport moves" as they act like if you get into a damn fight you are going to go into a berimbolo.  Its disengenious and reaks of "back in my day we did X" bullshit that no one wants to hear.  Solid fundamentals and giving methodology on body positioning/leverage while being a actual presence is what is needed if the JJGF is to really work.

7 days ago
1/1/01
Hunter V -

If Rickson changes anything it needs to be in regards to teaching more in the open public and being a actual presence, as historically bjj legends love to talk about starting new orgs to change things and it always runs flat.  You can bitch about the IBJJF all you want but the reality is that Carlinhios is still around putting in work to the sport side of things and is ever present whereas most that bitch haven't put in 1/20th of the work he has.  

And bjj is bjj, its in the details that make it work no matter what the arena of combat.  If anything it gets grating hearing people bitch so much about "sport moves" as they act like if you get into a damn fight you are going to go into a berimbolo.  Its disengenious and reaks of "back in my day we did X" bullshit that no one wants to hear.  Solid fundamentals and giving methodology on body positioning/leverage while being a actual presence is what is needed if the JJGF is to really work.

I agree on your points about Rickson needing to put in the work teaching and being a presence, which btw....what the hell has happend so far with JJGF? Heard nothing for at least the last year.

I'd argue there are differences in details and what one would define as fundamentals, as well as the developemnt of default actions for different "arenas". How can a person who trains strictly to grapple in a sport arena be expected to efficiently deal with the environment and pressures from another "arena" like a fight? Another thread on the forum was about BJJers who've lost "real fights"....I dont know the details of any of the examples, but I use the example from a couple years back a poster described the actions of their student in a fight and she pulled guard b/c that is what she felt most cofortable doing.

7 days ago
10/15/06

It would be amazing to see a live MMA seminar done by Maia I've watched his gi seminars and they are awesome 

6 days ago
1/1/01
I don't mean this as an ibjjf vs jjglobal thing at all as a matter of fact it's laughable that any group of disgruntled internet commenters Even mention ibjjf as the built thier house and made it massively profitable I m just saying as a spokes person unless you are smoked out in your basement breaking down bjj the rickson comes off TOO SPOOKY for most people

And any organization revolving around 1mans a non starter and going nowhere long term

I'd love to see and help it grow but how?
6 days ago
1/1/01
Sgt. Slaphead -
Hunter V -

I agree on your points about Rickson needing to put in the work teaching and being a presence, which btw....what the hell has happend so far with JJGF? Heard nothing for at least the last year.

I'd argue there are differences in details and what one would define as fundamentals, as well as the developemnt of default actions for different "arenas". How can a person who trains strictly to grapple in a sport arena be expected to efficiently deal with the environment and pressures from another "arena" like a fight? Another thread on the forum was about BJJers who've lost "real fights"....I dont know the details of any of the examples, but I use the example from a couple years back a poster described the actions of their student in a fight and she pulled guard b/c that is what she felt most cofortable doing.

Well you can define out details on application for mma, sport training and self defense.  And yes you will have idiots that do dumb shit in fights but most aren't.   Hell most times its just the need to point out certain details and such and most are good.  I teach guys who bounce, who are cops, etc. and they aren't jumping guard in a real fight as an example.  My thing is you don't have to mystify a street fight scenario.

6 days ago
10/5/11
NicolasRGC - Depends on the school IMO... I don't see much "monkey fuckery" where I train. In my experience it was more popular a few years ago.

There were basically no berimbolo at black belt worlds this year.....everything comes in full circle.

Right now theres a lot of leg drags, toreando, x pass, de la riva, and spider at the sport level. 

6 days ago
4/26/13

Funny a lot of things Rickson talks about with JJGF

"unified standards"

"confederation"

"evolutionary process"

sounds a a bit like IBJJF

6 days ago
1/1/01
anyone basing the value of thier martial arts training on "street fights" hasnt been in many. If you are in some real life an death scenarios its really the last thing you run around glorifying or trying to test your skills in. know guys who have died as a result of street fights + also also guys who have hit people and had the other guy die from the force of his head hitting the ground.

this is tragic to say the least and nto something to play martial arts marketing games with BUT i do think if you like krav maga or gracie jiu-jitsu self defense sure do what you like..

I'm saying essentially JJ global has got to more than just Rickson for it to work.

nothing wrong with IBJJF if you dont like ti dont compete and dont register but there is no point talking down to people pursuing their passion in the sport/art. id rather build an viable alternative than tear down the IBJJF or any of the people participating.
6 days ago
12/18/03
Claude Patrick -

nothing wrong with IBJJF if you dont like ti dont compete and dont register but there is no point talking down to people pursuing their passion in the sport/art. id rather build an viable alternative than tear down the IBJJF or any of the people participating.

Sounds fair to me.

6 days ago
3/27/04
shen - 

Truth be told, I have sent a letter to Rickson asking him to possibly consider stepping aside for the betterment of the organization. I also humbly offered my name --if needed-- be thrown into the hat for consideration as the new Grandmaster of the JJGF

Such an organization really needs to helmed by a RED BELT, and as we have seen, Rickson is not 100% comfortable in that role, whereas I already have years of experience as such in my own organization.

Really though, I am just here to help out, if I can be of service. No ego. No agenda.

Grandmaster Shen at his altruistic best!

6 days ago
3/27/04

Is this you Shen? http://www.bjjee.com/featured/35-yr-old-promoted-to-red-belt-in-bjj-angers-brazilian-jiu-jitsu-community/

5 days ago
1/1/01
Stephan Kesting - 

Is this you Shen? http://www.bjjee.com/featured/35-yr-old-promoted-to-red-belt-in-bjj-angers-brazilian-jiu-jitsu-community/

In your heart, I think you already know the answer.

3 days ago
3/27/02

Shen, I will bring up your idea(s) next week.  ;-)

2 days ago
1/1/01
op, i don't think you're crazy, but i do disagree with you on most every point you state.