1/5/14 4:27 PM
8/17/12
Hey chaps, just wondering if anyone can recommend a good grappling dummy, preferably one that can be used for takedowns and groundwork. Cheers Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 5:48 PM
1/11/13
http://shebeastbjjhistory.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/introducing-flavio.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyzpktqnN8o
1/5/14 8:01 PM
3/7/07
I have the Submission master grappling dummy. I like it. I would love to see a review of the Bubba grappling dummy made by the Gracie's. Grappling dummy's only get so good though. You can choke your dummy way harder than a person will let you. Also knee on belly work Ect that people won't out up with. I don't know of a dummy that you can really grapple with and do takedowns. I don't know of any funnies that will stand on their own. Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 8:41 PM
7/8/09

I have been looking into it alot the last month as I plan to get one in the next couple weeks. Seems like most poeple think the Submission Master is better than the Bubba dummy. Also Ring to Cage makes one thats looks pretty decent but I have not found a video with that dummy yet. Overall though seems like most people seem to think the Submission Master is the best one.

1/5/14 8:51 PM
3/7/07
Pro grappling makes the EXACT SAME dummy as the submission master for a couple hundred bucks cheaper. Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 9:06 PM
6/28/11
I also have a submission master, and it's pretty good.

As noted, it's better at some things than others. Closed guard drilling from bottom is great. Putting a ton of pressure from side control or knee on belly is great. It's not too good from the top other than closed guard obviously, and takedowns aren't anything it's going to be good for.

It seems you kind of need to chose between a takedown-type dummy (which usually has straight legs) and a grappling-type dummy (which usually has bent legs). Phone Post 3.0
1/5/14 9:42 PM
8/25/09
Ridgeback -

Go to the Home Depot and hire a guy for the day to be your "training partner." 

That's really funny but not a bad idea in theory. I can't get a single person to drill with me when it's convenient for the both of us. Phone Post 3.0
1/6/14 12:14 AM
8/17/12
FlowWithTheGo - I have the Submission master grappling dummy. I like it. I would love to see a review of the Bubba grappling dummy made by the Gracie's. Grappling dummy's only get so good though. You can choke your dummy way harder than a person will let you. Also knee on belly work Ect that people won't out up with. I don't know of a dummy that you can really grapple with and do takedowns. I don't know of any funnies that will stand on their own. Phone Post 3.0
Oh really? No stand up huh? That's a tad disappointing, thanks for the reply tho. VU Phone Post 3.0
1/6/14 12:15 AM
8/17/12
PittBJJ -

I have been looking into it alot the last month as I plan to get one in the next couple weeks. Seems like most poeple think the Submission Master is better than the Bubba dummy. Also Ring to Cage makes one thats looks pretty decent but I have not found a video with that dummy yet. Overall though seems like most people seem to think the Submission Master is the best one.

Thanks bro, VU tomoro Phone Post 3.0
1/6/14 2:15 AM
2/9/09
The only ones I know that come close to standing by themselves are the Legend grappling dummies (the ones that are basically a punching bag with arms, not the legged ones).

The Maximus dummy has a hook on its heads that you can use to help suspend it but it's expensive. (I think some of the older ones, like BigBlue have that as well)

http://www.spartanequip.com/products/maximus1/

Until someone figures out how to make a realistic tensegrity dummy, I don't see the situation improving

http://www.tensegrityfitness.com/?page_id=9
1/6/14 5:23 AM
8/19/11
I had a bubba 2,there shit...there posture in guard sucks and the legs are also unrealistic for guard passing (except maybe torreander type passing) over all it's good for basic drills like rnc armbars etc but feels seriously just go make one because there nothing special. And if you do make one ide go for the submission master type because of how the legs are bent for posture(good for gaurd attacks)but also the problem with passing drills being wierd imo. Nothing beats a grappling dog :) Phone Post 3.0
1/6/14 11:50 AM
1/14/13
Ridgeback -

Go to the Home Depot and hire a guy for the day to be your "training partner." 

VU Phone Post 3.0
1/6/14 3:18 PM
3/20/02
The idea of grappling dummies is great but in reality its hard to use them consistently. For most people ends up being waste of money. Phone Post
1/6/14 6:57 PM
3/7/07
Something else to consider. Your goin to need some grappling mats for your house. Even puzzle mats from Target will cost you about 200 to cover even a decent amount. I have then and don't recommend them only because the pull apart pretty easily when moving the dummy around.
Also, your going to need a Gi for your dummy for the same reason you will need mats. My submission master is rough. You will get basically carpet burns from the dummy. So your going to sacrifice a go right away or you'll have to buy one. An A3 barley fits it so go bigger. If you get on YouTube search for "submission master grappling dummy review" my username is Bjjparasempre on there. I made a review. Phone Post 3.0
1/6/14 9:04 PM
9/27/13
burner22 - Hey chaps, just wondering if anyone can recommend a good grappling dummy, preferably one that can be used for takedowns and groundwork. Cheers Phone Post 3.0

please, Chaps is my father's name. Call me Assless Chaps.

1/7/14 6:28 AM
8/17/12
FlowWithTheGo - Something else to consider. Your goin to need some grappling mats for your house. Even puzzle mats from Target will cost you about 200 to cover even a decent amount. I have then and don't recommend them only because the pull apart pretty easily when moving the dummy around.
Also, your going to need a Gi for your dummy for the same reason you will need mats. My submission master is rough. You will get basically carpet burns from the dummy. So your going to sacrifice a go right away or you'll have to buy one. An A3 barley fits it so go bigger. If you get on YouTube search for "submission master grappling dummy review" my username is Bjjparasempre on there. I made a review. Phone Post 3.0
I actually hadn't thought of that. I've got a couple old gis, could get a mat off eBay I guess. If I work drills from on top tho I should be able to get away without one tho yeah? Phone Post 3.0
1/7/14 6:29 AM
8/17/12
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ - The idea of grappling dummies is great but in reality its hard to use them consistently. For most people ends up being waste of money. Phone Post
Why would you say it's hard to use consistently? Phone Post 3.0
1/7/14 6:30 AM
8/17/12
MTH - I also have a submission master, and it's pretty good.

As noted, it's better at some things than others. Closed guard drilling from bottom is great. Putting a ton of pressure from side control or knee on belly is great. It's not too good from the top other than closed guard obviously, and takedowns aren't anything it's going to be good for.

It seems you kind of need to chose between a takedown-type dummy (which usually has straight legs) and a grappling-type dummy (which usually has bent legs). Phone Post 3.0
Thanks for the input bro, Vu tomoro Phone Post 3.0
1/7/14 9:39 AM
2/9/09
burner22 - 
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ - The idea of grappling dummies is great but in reality its hard to use them consistently. For most people ends up being waste of money. Phone Post
Why would you say it's hard to use consistently? Phone Post 3.0

Because most people don't have a plan of how to use it.

AFAIK, this is the only 'grappling dummy workout plan'. I don't actually have the new fandangled on (I just bought the e-book when I bought my Zebra dummy; I think it only cost $10 or something).

http://grapplingdummyguide.com/

PS: Now that I think about it, the guys that made Submission Master dummy have a few decent videos on Youtube showing you how to put together a good session (they're the ones with all the mind-maps)
1/7/14 9:46 AM
2/9/09
IOW, how does it fit into the mix? Let's say you train twice a week and plan to use the dummy twice a week. Ok, good; what are you planning to use the dummy for? How long will the rounds be? Will it be technical training or fitness training? Will it include strikes? Will you randomize or use a set routine? etc.

IOW, it's kinda like turning up to the gym to 'just lift'; sometimes that works, but it can lead to stagnation pretty quick.

I have to be truthful, since I moved house I've not used mine at all (yes, OTOH, I am training 5x week, so the need is less now). If I do use it, it will be to build up sport specific strength post ACL surgery.

(I wouldn't mind a grappling dummy to drill moves on but am leery that I'll end up using it)

PS: Make sure you name your dummy. My wife called mine "Morgan Freeman"; we stuck it in my brother in laws bedroom one night when he ambled in drunk and it scared the bejesus of him.

1/7/14 10:27 AM
6/28/11
burner22 - 
FlowWithTheGo - Something else to consider. Your goin to need some grappling mats for your house. Even puzzle mats from Target will cost you about 200 to cover even a decent amount. I have then and don't recommend them only because the pull apart pretty easily when moving the dummy around.
I actually hadn't thought of that. I've got a couple old gis, could get a mat off eBay I guess. If I work drills from on top tho I should be able to get away without one tho yeah? Phone Post 3.0

IMO, using a gi top is crucial for these dummies.  If you use them at all, you'll SWEAT.  They're heavy, dead weight, and you can drill hard because they don't complain and don't need to take a turn.  I like being able to take off the gi top and wash it. 

As for size, I found an A2 top and A5 pants work well on the Submission Master (it has a fat butt to better keep it seated).  The A2 is a little tight on top, but I tried using an extra A4 top that I had and felt it moved around too much.  Unlike a real opponent, the dummy (obviously) makes no effort to fix its gi as you tug, pull, push, etc., so I found myself constantly adjusting the A4 top. 

I highly recommend a set of mats.  I got a set of these for $200: http://www.amazon.com/GET-RUNG-MATS-wrestling-interlocking/dp/B0031QQSD8/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0/186-0064089-8585944

Could you get away without them?  M'eh . . . maybe.  If your floors are hardwood, I'd say no way.  Even from the top, I expect the abuse your knees would take would keep you from using the dummy very long.  If you have carpet you may be able to get away with it, but I'd consider the sweat issue mentioned above as you'll drip all over everything.

1/7/14 10:34 AM
6/26/00
I loved training with my bubba dummy, but you really need a dedicated training area in your home to use it. I live in a small apartment and my wife hated having it lying around in our living space. It is so big and unwieldy (like a dead body) that once I put it away it seemed like way too much effort to get it back out to train with again. It was great for practicing chokes, straight armlocks, top pressure and transitions. Not so great for throws, bottom game, or passing. Phone Post 3.0
1/7/14 10:54 AM
2/9/09
^ yep, that too. Dummy needs a gi (at least a gi top) and you need mats if you're going to roll with / on it.

Many, many years ago (late 90's), I made a grappling dummy out of an old boiler suit, hay and pillows. I use to take it out to the back yard (concrete) to practice side control escapes on. I remember it being a miserable experience (cold, uncomfortable) but I wanted to try Roy Harris idea of 500 reps a week.

So yeah - figure that you'll need mats and a spare gi as a minimum.

Throwing dummies have less barriers to use: you just need somewhere to throw it - though a gi top helps. My dummy is made of ultra thick corduroy style material. I suplex that thing onto brick paving like nobodies business and it's still golden (though I had to tape the feet, as the sticking was a little loose when it came from that factory)

1/7/14 11:12 AM
3/7/07
You for sure will need a gi with the submission master. I use a rash guard and a gi on it. The SM toes to get her at the top. It has never came apart. The rash guard keeps everything in place. Also the gi will help get it back into whatever position you are trying to get it into. You have handles this way. If not you just grabbing arms and legs trust me on this one. Phone Post 3.0
1/7/14 12:01 PM
3/20/02
Because its boring and much more productive workouts u can do in your own like run, lift weights, heavy bag. You don't get a good workout from a dummy. Ive had one in the past. Planned to use daily used like 6x in 6 months. Phone Post