David Jacobs' BJJGround IBJJF Rules Philosophy...Why?

6/11/18 5:08 PM
5/30/03

Why are you awarded points for passing the guard? 

Is it because you performed the difficult task of passing someone's guard, or because you are in an advantageous position, where you can strike, submit, finish the match...someone emulating a real life self defense purpose?

6/11/18 5:34 PM
4/26/13

Maybe it's to deter people going backwards on the "hierarchy" of position.  For example, if you got points simply for being in side control, guys would mount and dismount just to get an easy 7 points.  Not saying it's a just philosophy, just an idea

6/11/18 7:04 PM
1/1/01

Take them down, Pass their guard, Get to mount, Take their back, Choke them out. End game.

I always thought the points were based on the perfect BJJ self-defense scenario.

6/11/18 10:57 PM
11/23/02
The Maestro - 

Why are you awarded points for passing the guard? 

Is it because you performed the difficult task of passing someone's guard, or because you are in an advantageous position, where you can strike, submit, finish the match...someone emulating a real life self defense purpose?

Because you have passed the dangerous dangerous legs

-John Danaher
6/12/18 1:02 AM
1/1/01
I would like to see points for escapes like in wrestling.
6/12/18 1:19 AM
3/7/07

Shortest answer possible. The points are an attempt to reward those for climbing the chain that would worsen or greatly dimish striking attempts. 

6/12/18 2:17 AM
5/30/03
My thought when making the thread.  If you attend a rules seminar, they will explain that one of the IBJJF's goals is to emulate a real-life self-defense situation.  So they reward with points, because in a street fight, you would be more likely to submit your opponent, strike your opponent and finish the fight from an advantageous position like side control, back control, or mount.  This is one of the reasons they use a “progressive” approach to scoring. 

If this is the case, why do we need to reward people for passing the guard, but not so for simply establishing side control?  If I suplex someone and land in side control, I'm only awarded 2 points for the throw.  I am not awarded 3 points, because I landed in side control and didn't pass the guard.  
If someone is on top of me in side control, and I physically reverse the position, landing in top side control, I'm not awarded any points for a sweep or for attaining side control, because I never passed their guard, and I never used my guard to reverse the position.

What difference does it make how I get to side control, if I can just as easily end the confrontation from the position?  If you're trying to emulate a self-defense situation, who cares if I threw the guy and landed in side, or if I used an intricate pass to get there?  I'm still in the same position and can just as easily finish.

6/13/18 9:04 AM
1/9/18

I'll make a guess.. 

For the TD to side- I think they want to award tds, but don't want to create a situation where the competitors will spam TDs and disengage over and over.

It would create a Judo type of game.

For the side control to side control roll I think maybe it has to do with promoting quality skills.   At a lower belt level hitting a hip escape to roll works well, but going up in skilll it is much harder to land. So they are setting the game to push lower skill levels towards a game that will work later. 

Again these are guesses.. feel free to disagree. Would love to hear the real answer.

6/13/18 9:26 AM
1/1/01
graciesrule - I would like to see points for escapes like in wrestling.

I always disagree with this. You're meant to escape. Getting out is the reward, I don't see a need to get a point for it too.

James
6/13/18 11:25 PM
10/5/11

Yeah, it's crazy in my eyes you can go from being under someone side control to having them in side control with no award. Gui talked about taking down to side control and leaving only his foot for the guarder to latch onto so he can knee slide immediately and get 5 instead of 2. That seems pretty dumb to me. 

6/13/18 11:32 PM
10/5/11

IBJJF needs to just establish they are sport. Kurt Osiander said it best. If you go upside down you're get punched in the face.

Also, while we're on the subject, heel hooks need to be legal. There was so much 50/50 this year it's sickening. If people want jiujitsu to be exciting 50/50 has to go and heel hooks will stop that.