BJJGround North South Choke with Details, Pics and Video

9 days ago
3/27/04

North South Choke

Just published a short new article with my friend Mike Zenga breaking down one of his best attacks - the North South choke from sidemount

Here, with pics, text and video is the article: hope you find it useful!

http://www.grapplearts.com/northsouthchoke/

Cheers,

Stephan 

8 days ago
11/10/05

Nice... I was just getting ready to post a vid on this exact technique, but the recording somehow got paused. 

MG is of course the master but there's a lot of people who have seen his vids on this and can't seem to make it work. I put some thought into it and have been having a ton of success with it... often one handed.

I wanted to create this vid first b/c I've been devling into the "arm in" version and feeling pretty good about that as well, but I think it's important to understand the regular N/S first.

So hope you don't feel like I'm jumping on your technique when I post it.

8 days ago
3/27/04

No problem my fren....

7 days ago
6/24/05
Thanks for the vid. It looks like Zenga focuses on closing off the arteries on one side of the neck. I'll play with that.
6 days ago
11/10/05

I did a remake...and this time forgot to mention about keeping the hips and chest flat to the mat and don't try to start driving your shoulder down... also hide your head on the mat outside of the arm... but anyways, I'm not going to make another. This captures most of what I was trying to get across that made a big difference in my success ratio... I didn't think I should create another thread on N/S stuff.... 

6 days ago
2/1/08

are you going to post another video about the arm in version?  ^

5 days ago
11/10/05
misterw - 

are you going to post another video about the arm in version?  ^

yeah... Just thought that the no-arm should be done first.

4 days ago
6/24/05
Thanks for the video Meatgrinder.
3 days ago
8/3/12
Thanks for both! I assume these are also nogi friendly?
3 days ago
11/10/05
Fern 10th Planet - Thanks for both! I assume these are also nogi friendly?

Absolutely... You're not going to be doing a baseball bat choke, but the passing setup and just doing KOB are common in no-gi and there's no lapel or sleeve grips... I'm actually directly grabbing the wrist as I go into the choke. And in general, you'll have better sensitivity of the choke itself in no-gi.

What do you think of the vid Stephan? I think it compliments your vid pretty well w/your vid. Similar ideas but I think that adding some focus on the elbow is important to the choke itself and doing the technical stanup movement into it gives you great initial positioning.

3 days ago
1/1/01

in

3 days ago
11/10/05

I should edit what I say too... some people like attacking the baseball bat from KOB in no-gi and have a lot of success with it.... I tend not to do that attack from no-gi.

2 days ago
1/1/01
Awesome