David Jacobs' BJJGround Orlando Cani Interview

Edited: 6/7/05 12:00 AM
03/26/2003
Check out this Orlando Cani Interview by Paulo Ruy Barbosa at http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/ug/ginastica.html ... Orlando Cani: "Rickson Gracie was the best student I had. He was the one to assimilate best the process. He's very serious and deeply concentrated. He stare at me hearing, and what I say penetrates him like a glove. He assimilates it deeply. It's very impressive." ... "After 2 years of training with me, he almost make me cry, I was deeply touched. He told me: "Today you will be seated down and I will perform the class by myself". I felt like he was going to fly away from the window, how perfectly he did, specially smoothing. My work is very intense, standing - on the ground, standing - on the ground, there's no good or bad positing, it's movement, for me movement is life, is action, it's energy." ... Q: Alvaro Romano markets himself as the creator of the "Natural Gymnastic", what do you want to say about it? ... Orlando Cani: "Alvaro Romano was my student for 13 years. He learned the "Natural Gymnastic" from me. When he arrived here, he didn't know anything. He was about to quit the college course of "Physical Education" and he was in a real bad condition. he began to practice here Yoga and Natural Gymnastic. After 13 years working with me, he suddenly disappeared and avoid further contact with me. I didn't know what was going on, since we didn't discuss or anything. I had no clue until someone told me that saw an article in a magazine, where he said that invented the "Natural Gymnastic" method by himself. I was completely shocked. He was like a son for me. I even recorded 2 video of "Natural Gymnastic" with him. Later was a big congress and I was scheduled to give a lecture about "Natural Gymnastic". A few hours before it I received an Official of the Justice, prohibiting me to take the lecture using the title "Natural Gymnastic" since the Patent was registered by Alvaro Romano. Wow, what a disgusting notice! From now on, I use "Orlando Cani Gymnastic - Bio Gymnastic". I was very disappointed."
Edited: 6/10/05 4:27 AM
01/01/2001
wow... This is amazing. I just talked with professor Alvaro Romano and showed him this article so all I will be doing is going to go behind his words and real facts. Alvaro Romano studies yoga and some of the moves of Kempo that at that time professor Cani had to offer. Now a very good comparation with what happen is that when Cani showed some of yoga movements and the way that Cani was doing,Alvaro Romano was a blue belt to purple belt under Rolls Gracie. He putted everthing that Cani was showing him to the ground and becouse the moves of BJJ mostly was on the ground Alvaro Romano was trying to make the work out more effective and directly. ALvaro Romano have a huge arquive that you will be able to see on his web site and you will see what I'm trying to say. Another thing that "he" told me is that that interview was 83% all made up or something that Cani never said. Orlando Cani can not support what he was saying and if he try to prove that he will be sue by Alvaro Romano. There is a huge arquive of Rickson Gracie and many outher fighters training Ginastica Natural with Alvaro Romano. Orlando Cani never did martial arts on his life-NEVER! He did helped Alvaro Romano develop his on system like the Japaneses help the brazilians made their on thing-BJJ! BUM YAAAAA! Just like that... I will be calling tomorrow the web site that you put over there to see who can back up this interview. Paulo Ruy Barbosa? There is people looking for him to talk to him as well. Orlando Cani all ready said that he did not said what this interview is saying. Alvaro always gave Orlando Cani credit and say good things about him,this does not seems to have bad feelings about him,but the magazine in Rio that put this article was sue by few different people that's why they had to go bankrupcy! Let's keep real and let's enjoy Alvaro Romano the creator of Ginastica Natural on the ground! BJJ black belt by Rolls Gracie! Orlando Cani is a white belt in BJJ with no stripe! This is a real fact and with back up to prove!
Edited: 6/14/05 12:00 AM
01/01/2001
uop
Edited: 6/15/05 12:00 AM
03/26/2003
Hi Cabecao, Wow! Thanks for all the information! I've always wondered about the interview but could never find much additional information one way or the other. Your input is interesting especially if Orlando Cani himself has said the interview isn't accurate. I appreciate you sharing this with us. Thanks!
Edited: 6/16/05 4:10 AM
05/27/2003
This is where the interview appeared first time in English, contributed by Paulo Ruy Barboso straightly from RJ, according to informations at end. http://www.geocities.com/global_training_report/orlando And It seem to be appeared in Gong Kakutougi, first. Gong Kakutougi is a Japaneses magazine not Brazilain.
Edited: 6/17/05 12:00 AM
01/01/2001
The magazine that showed this article in Brazil got sue and the teacher Orlando Cani told a quite a few people that reporters did put words in his mounth. Alvaro Romano never said that he did not trained with Orlando,he said that he used what Orlando Cani was doing and transform in something totally different and unique. Rickson Gracie did trained with Orlando Cani and Alvaro Romano but the ground stuff Alvaro was the creator where he put all the moves on the ground. Pretty much when people discover BJJ where they put the moves of Japanes Jiu-Jitsu to the ground... Alvaro have something unique and original you should take that serious and give a chnace becouse that will change your way to think. You will have opportunity to see for yourself in the biggest city of United States. Alvaro Romano will be teaching in San Diego,Santa Cruz,New York,Chicago and L.A. More info? sergiogralha@yahoo.com
Edited: 7/2/05 12:00 AM
01/01/2001
11/21/16 10:47 AM
11/17/16

Just for clarify, the content of the interview is true and these were the exact words of Master Orlando Cani. The interview told the true story of how things happened.

Any doubt contact us:

academia@orlandocani.com.br

11/21/16 10:27 PM
12/1/00
Tiago Haddad - 

Just for clarify, the content of the interview is true and these were the exact words of Master Orlando Cani. The interview told the true story of how things happened.

Any doubt contact us:

academia@orlandocani.com.br

Quite possibly the greatest thread resurrection I have ever seen!
11/28/16 11:22 PM
1/18/03
cabecao - The magazine that showed this article in Brazil got sue and the teacher Orlando Cani told a quite a few people that reporters did put words in his mounth. Alvaro Romano never said that he did not trained with Orlando,he said that he used what Orlando Cani was doing and transform in something totally different and unique. Rickson Gracie did trained with Orlando Cani and Alvaro Romano but the ground stuff Alvaro was the creator where he put all the moves on the ground. Pretty much when people discover BJJ where they put the moves of Japanes Jiu-Jitsu to the ground... Alvaro have something unique and original you should take that serious and give a chnace becouse that will change your way to think. You will have opportunity to see for yourself in the biggest city of United States. Alvaro Romano will be teaching in San Diego,Santa Cruz,New York,Chicago and L.A. More info? sergiogralha@yahoo.com

The movements Rickson practices he learned from Orlando Cani alone.

12/1/16 10:40 AM
11/17/16

Recent interview for Trip magazine. November 2016 edition.

http://revistatrip.uol.com.br/trip/orlando-cani-o-treinador-mestre-de-bernadinho-do-volei-e-rickson-gracie-do-jiu-jitsu

12/1/16 2:17 PM
9/18/02

Alvaro Romano...

Meh..

Sounds Creont-ish.