David Jacobs' BJJGround Pinched nerve (C6/C7) remedy/recovery advice?

1/11/18 5:43 PM
10/27/06
Anyone have experience with dealing with a pinched nerve (c6/c7) as a result of training? How long did it take to fully heal and should I be training even though I feel it is 85-90% recovered? Tried rest/massage/exercises/collar traction and it hasn't gotten rid of that last 10-15%. Still feel slight numbness and tingling down my left arm at times. Any info would help. Thanks.
Edited: 1/11/18 10:01 PM
12/16/00
Go to the Health & Medical ground sub forum. There's a thread called Herniated C5C6 Q&A. Hopefully reading it will help.
1/12/18 2:02 AM
1/1/01
Bob Ross - I had my neck fused. best thing I've ever done

would you mind going into detail on this for someone in the same boat? thank you!
1/12/18 12:01 PM
12/16/00
Bob Ross - 
FatBuddha - 

would you mind going into detail on this for someone in the same boat? thank you!

when I was fighting I landed weird on my face.  I felt tingling in my hands and my arms.  Immediately got a mri.  My c4 and c5 had been shoved into my spinal cord.  I was a purple belt at the time.  I was told by multiple doctors to stop training.    Then I went to Dr. Rhee, the head of Emory spine in Atlanta.   He told me that I could train, but I had to be smart and that I would need to have my spine fused at some point.      Every 6 months or so, my spine would get dinged and the tingling in my hands would return.   A few years later, I was competing at brown belt at the Pan Ams.  I injured my neck again in my first match when I sprawled and the guys head hit under my chin.   I kept training with the pain and 3 weeks later I got my black belt.     2 weeks later I had my neck fused.  I was out for about 10 weeks.   Been training ever since with a few setbacks,.    But I train super hard and still spar standup as well.  I have competed a few times since.  I also have 2 students that have had their necks fused with success

Wow, that is awesome. Did your students that got fused also go to Dr Rhee?

I didn't get a fusion. Got a discectomy instead. Was told if I went back to what I ws doing prior to surgery I'd be having it again.

I was NOT functioning any were near the level you were before or after.
1/12/18 3:47 PM
8/23/09

I viewed surgery as a last resort.  And it seemed at the time to have a 50/50 success rate with no path back if it didnt work.   I had a herniated disc C5-C6 and did everything but surgery for 6 months.  Traction, chiro, yoga, accupuncture, trigger point massage, epidural injection, steriods.    During that time I only drilled and worked out.   

A herniated disc will reabsorb at a rate of one millimeter a month.   If its impinging on your spine, three months can make a big difference. 

I was back to rolling after about 6 months and that was 7 years ago.  Have moved thru belts and trained at Renzo's, Ralphs, and Rodgers.   

I was an idiot in my first two years of training.   Now I protect my kneck and tap faster & often.   

1/13/18 5:21 AM
8/30/09

Have any of you guys heard about Dr Kevin Pauza , he had developed a new method as an alternative to fusion and disc replacement , it looks really interesting and he has been doing it for about 5 yrs , lots of positive and successful results , not sure how many bad results , they possibly hide those , I think in a few years time this method could be awesome . Google him or check out his FB page and youtube videos , Dr Kevin Pauza MD .

1/13/18 5:35 AM
8/30/09

https://drkevinpauza.com/

1/13/18 7:42 AM
1/1/01
Bob Ross - 
FatBuddha - 

when I was fighting I landed weird on my face.  I felt tingling in my hands and my arms.  Immediately got a mri.  My c4 and c5 had been shoved into my spinal cord.  I was a purple belt at the time.  I was told by multiple doctors to stop training.    Then I went to Dr. Rhee, the head of Emory spine in Atlanta.   He told me that I could train, but I had to be smart and that I would need to have my spine fused at some point.      Every 6 months or so, my spine would get dinged and the tingling in my hands would return.   A few years later, I was competing at brown belt at the Pan Ams.  I injured my neck again in my first match when I sprawled and the guys head hit under my chin.   I kept training with the pain and 3 weeks later I got my black belt.     2 weeks later I had my neck fused.  I was out for about 10 weeks.   Been training ever since with a few setbacks,.    But I train super hard and still spar standup as well.  I have competed a few times since.  I also have 2 students that have had their necks fused with success

thank you! in some serious pain now
1/15/18 2:52 AM
4/2/13

If you don't want surgery and have it available, acupuncture helped me when I was getting tingling and numbness in my left arm.  Acupuncture and rest took care of it with no surgery.

1/15/18 8:14 AM
5/17/13

I had the samething you did. I went to a rehab center that put me on an decompression table, helps tons. Now I do a lot of shrugs and neck stretches/exercises.

Tap early. Not worth having happen again, it was way too painful. Infact if it does happen to me again, Im throwing in the towel with training.  

1/15/18 9:35 AM
10/25/05

You need to take time off u til you feel 100%. Then you need a strength and conditioning program that focuses on your traps and upper back. Your neck should not be the focus. After some strength gains you can come back to training but you will always have to be smart about how you train from now on. That's just the way it goes. Source? I'm fused from c4-6 and train regularly for the last 3 years. 

1/15/18 3:30 PM
12/24/10

I ate a hard hip sprawl to the side of my head and neck when training a few years ago. I felt immediate numbness in both arms and it was about 10 minutes before I could feel much of anything in my hands. Since then its been getting a bit better but certain types of chokes that put a lot of pressure on the sides of the neck will cause the numbnes. If I'm  sitting or standing for long periods of time, especially driving the numbness also flares up. 

Do you guys think it might be lower neck vertebrae?

1/15/18 3:54 PM
8/3/04
Shinsplint -

I ate a hard hip sprawl to the side of my head and neck when training a few years ago. I felt immediate numbness in both arms and it was about 10 minutes before I could feel much of anything in my hands. Since then its been getting a bit better but certain types of chokes that put a lot of pressure on the sides of the neck will cause the numbnes. If I'm  sitting or standing for long periods of time, especially driving the numbness also flares up. 

Do you guys think it might be lower neck vertebrae?

Get an EMG,  it will show if the nerves are conducting correctly.

1/18/18 2:46 AM
3/7/07

Bob Ross, thanks for sharing. I had a two level fusion and went back to training hard last year. I do feel good. 

1/18/18 4:45 AM
5/11/12

4later I got the same problem