Revgear League BJJGround Question for the S&C nerds

8 days ago
10/23/15
What distinguishes muscular endurance from strength?

Isn't muscular endurance simply having enough strength reserves to deal with the load? In other words, if your goal is to be able to do 20 reps at X load, wouldn't an increase of strength so you can do 10 reps at twice X load give you the muscular endurance to do 20 reps?

I realize muscular endurance also has to do with lactic thresholds, energy systems, and that sort of thing. But is there actually a meaningful difference between muscular endurance and strength? If you get stronger don't you automatically have better muscular endurance?

What am I missing?
8 days ago
3/22/16

"If you get stronger don't you automatically have better muscular endurance?"

Not really. 

You might be able to bench press 100kg for 1 rep, but if I strip the bar down to 50kg and tell you to do 25 reps, you will start breaking down around rep 13-17. 

Muscular endurance, to me, is how long you can keep going for. 

Strength isn't that at all.

You ask an Olympic weightlifter to do a Crossfit workout and it will ruin them. 

7 days ago
1/1/01
There's also a difference in the type of adaptation. In general up to about 5 reps the changes are largely thought to be neural in nature - teaching the muscle to contract faster and with more total motor units. Above 5 reps it starts to become metabolic in nature, which means changes within the muscle cells themselves like more mitochondria, ability to use different enzymes more effectively or glycogen storage.

So no, adding more low rep strength won't necessarily give you better endurance. Easy trap to fall into but false.
7 days ago
3/22/16
bull neck - There's also a difference in the type of adaptation. In general up to about 5 reps the changes are largely thought to be neural in nature - teaching the muscle to contract faster and with more total motor units. Above 5 reps it starts to become metabolic in nature, which means changes within the muscle cells themselves like more mitochondria, ability to use different enzymes more effectively or glycogen storage.

So no, adding more low rep strength won't necessarily give you better endurance. Easy trap to fall into but false.

This.

Adding more low rep strength means you will only get better at that.

7 days ago
4/28/06
Do both, 5 reps for a while, then switch to 10-15 for a coupla weeks. Or combine both like a 531 or Cube method program. All depends on your time and energy resources.
6 days ago
3/6/11
NicolasRGC - Do both, 5 reps for a while, then switch to 10-15 for a coupla weeks. Or combine both like a 531 or Cube method program. All depends on your time and energy resources.
This. Or you can go: 1rep, rest for 1rep, 2reps, rest for 2reps, 3reps, rest for 3 reps, etc etc. This is a great way to build strength according to the RKC guys. But only do this sometimes because it is very taxing.
6 days ago
3/22/16
BearHands -
NicolasRGC - Do both, 5 reps for a while, then switch to 10-15 for a coupla weeks. Or combine both like a 531 or Cube method program. All depends on your time and energy resources.
This. Or you can go: 1rep, rest for 1rep, 2reps, rest for 2reps, 3reps, rest for 3 reps, etc etc. This is a great way to build strength according to the RKC guys. But only do this sometimes because it is very taxing.

I've done a circuit similar to this where you either go up or down in reps.

Example: A tri-set of Bench Press, Curls & Lateral Raises.

10 of each, then 9, then 8, all the way dowqn to 1 rep of each. No rest inbetween sets, straight onto the next one.

I've done that from rep 1-10, too. Either way it becomes VERY demanding. Great for muscular endurance. Great if you are stuck for time as well. 

6 days ago
7/20/09
For muscular endurance, look up Joel Jamiesons tempo method. He has a free training program for it if I'm correct