David Jacobs' BJJGround Ricksons Instructional Videos: Discussion Thread

Edited: 3/23/18 3:38 PM
9/10/12

I’m on Video 15 so far. I’ll refrain from much opinion on it at the moment.

However I can’t help but wonder if the guys who made this have ever watched many of the successful existing training videos on the market before. As far as structure goes.

Its a bit frustrating to watch videos that are 50-60 seconds long and each one has an 8-9 second wartribe logo intro.

Feel free to chime in and add your own as you watch them. Hoping for some positive insights in the techniques and discussion 

(UPDATE: Videos completed)

Well. 27 mins and I’m done.

Many of the videos are only about 24 seconds long preceded by the eight second intro. Then another video followed by the technique break down which is about 50 seconds long.

I had tremendously high hopes for this instructional and personally I feel let down by it. The production alone I found clunky and although the lighting is good and the HD is appreciated I don’t think the very strict format will be appreciated by many and for anyone Blue Belt or above I think will definitely feel the infonis remedial.

I predict this instructional goes over about as well in the BJJ community as masturbating in church. Sorry to say. Because I am a huge fan of Rickson.

I think for the $30 I paid I’m ok with it and will chalk it up as an experience and glad to have supported Rickson. I likely will not by anymore. I think the average person would be more well served to buy the Gracie Basics Video from way back in the day if you are looking for something comprehensive.

****************************UPDATE FROM GALLER 3-23-18******************************

Update from Galler

Thanks for your support.

On March 12th, we launched Module 1 of Self.Defense.Unit., the first series of instructional videos ever shot by Master Rickson Gracie, and you were one of the first to purchase it.

The success of the launch was incredible, and tens of thousands of people have taken the classes, which seek to rescue the essence of BJJ.

We could list the best compliments we received regarding production, choice of positions, concern with self-defense, and the execution of the moves by Rickson, who is considered by many to be the greatest fighter in history.

But Master Rickson is a perfectionist, and he won't settle for 99% of students satisfied.

We got together, and he asked:

"How can we satisfy 100% of our students?"

With that goal, he decided to take immediate action on two recurring complaints:

1. The videos are too short, and the execution (demo), explanation (technique) and complicators (stress) being in separate videos marred the experience.
  2. There aren't enough details in the practical lessons.

Alright. To solve the first problem, we edited the positions anew, and starting today, the stages of a given move are found in the same video.

Check it out and tell us whether you like it.

And to tackle the second one, we're back on set!

That's right – right now, Rickson is shooting all positions again, focusing on the explanation and details that enable him to execute them so efficiently.

It's gonna blow your mind.

So save the date: On April 12th, exactly a month after launch, your SDU course will have been magically updated with 20 new videos that will help you in practice, or – if you’re a teacher – in teaching the techniques.

See you then.

? Gallerr 

3/12/18 9:56 PM
1/1/01
Agreed. Clips are too short.

That log intro has gotten very old all ready.

3/12/18 10:18 PM
9/10/12

added to original 

Edited: 3/12/18 10:19 PM
9/10/12

3/12/18 11:33 PM
1/1/01
The clips were too short and there are not enough details.

I remember watching a video of Rickson going over the mount escape and the details were great. I was hoping that this course would have those kind of details.

The mount escape video in this course had hardly any details. Just the basic steps.

I emailed and asked for a refund.
3/12/18 11:37 PM
9/10/12
beauregard - The clips were too short and there are not enough details.

I remember watching a video of Rickson going over the mount escape and the details were great. I was hoping that this course would have those kind of details.

The mount escape video in this course had hardly any details. Just the basic steps.

While I agree, I won't be asking for a refund just to support Rickson. Why? Not sure. I feel he kinda got the shaft in the family due to his lack of business acumen. 

I 100% won't be buying more from Galler now or ever.

3/12/18 11:44 PM
1/1/01
beauregard - The clips were too short and there are not enough details.

let us know how that goes, I am watching them tomorrow and if shit is this bad then F it all.  Hell it would be better to buy Rener and Ryron's shit as even if they have bad marketing nobody would ever question their details and tech breakdown if you want classic GJJ stuff.

3/12/18 11:50 PM
9/10/12
Hunter V - 
beauregard - The clips were too short and there are not enough details.

let us know how that goes, I am watching them tomorrow and if shit is this bad then F it all.  Hell it would be better to buy Rener and Ryron's shit as even if they have bad marketing nobody would ever question their details and tech breakdown if you want classic GJJ stuff.

Rener and Ryrons stuff, IMO is 100% top shelf instruction and both are amazing teachers. Getting past Reners cheese factor is the difficult part.

3/13/18 2:53 AM
1/1/01
A few points:

Looks like the chopped up Rickson talking into a bunch of tiny clips. The editor should have put a stop to this.

Only needed the logo once.

The vague chit chat at the beginning had no examples or definitions of anything. Looked like a lack of a script.

Goes into the first technique and uses the term "Base" which was used in his intro talks but never defined. And its not defined in the front choke escape. Almost no details. The director should have addressed this.

I'll watch more but they are throwing away the only real advantage video has to offer. A chance to take the time to break everything down in exacting details. One need look no further than what Ryron and Rener have done to see the gold standard on how this subject can and should be taught via video.

I actually wonder why this project was done in this way.

Would have been much better to do it like they did with Pedro Sauer's videos which were produced and delivered via Gracie University.

With Rener running the show I think we would have had a much better final product.

I was curious so I went and looked at the front choke defense on GU. Looks to be at least half an hour. And the topic of base has been covered thoroughly in earlier videos by this time.

So no real comparison can be made there.

I jumped ahead and looked at the cross choke. (Personally I don't think the cross choke is suitable for a basic self defense scenario but that's just me.)

Now his is where I start to get a little pissed off and think that this project had more to do with making a quick buck than making sure that they delivered a great product.

Starts with a demo. Fine. Then the next clip is an explanation of a variation of the cross choke and not the one you just saw. Then the third clip is the explanation of the first demo. Not the greatest continuity.

And here is where it starts to get ugly. They only showed the same side on all three clips. I'm starting to think they only had one camera. Total time spent on cross choke is 3 minutes which isn't really true as there is almost 10 seconds wasted at the beginning of each clip with the same intro. I'll be charitable and say 2 1/2 minutes of instruction. One viewing angle only.

Lets go back to Gracie University - 1 hour and 15 minutes on this move with a huge disclaimer about using it in a street fight. You can get hit! Rickson doesn't mention this which isn't surprising since he spent so little time on the move. But this is called a "Self Defense Unit." (And shown from several different angles.)

In fact this series might get an award for the least amount of time spent teaching a technique. I'd have to go through my jiu-jitsu library with a stop watch but I'm willing to bet you would have a hard time finding such brevity anywhere else.

I really though for my money I was going to get the "Rickson" take on things. I can see certain things he is doing that are nice details but don't know how a beginner is going to pick up on what he is doing without it being called out.

Again, why didn't they consult with Rener and his team? My assumption is they didn't want to put in the time to do a thorough job. Which is a shame as now I have no desire to purchase future projects by this production team. Rickson or not.

3/13/18 3:15 AM
1/1/01
I was almost going to get it just because it's Rickson....but then in the previous thread someone posted the short "striking approach and clinch" clip and i passed.

Probably getting R&R GU to do the vids for Rickson would have been too costly, but then better product.

I wonder longterm what jjgf will donif this was so poorly done.
3/13/18 7:51 AM
1/1/01
Have to say I'm not surprised in the slightest. The couple of short clips shared in the lead up weren't impressive in any way. But even with that, it is disappointing that there's not even as much detail in Rickson's own video set as there was in the Budovideos video from a few years ago.

James
3/13/18 10:24 AM
9/10/12

Seems like there is going to be a similar consensus by all.

I do hope guys like Matt Thornton that are hyping it as going to be the next big thing do an honest review of it as well and not just try and sell a bunch of videos for Rickson. Luca already sent out an email saying he texted with Rickson telling him it’s a huge success already. Perhaps financially but not for Jiu Jitsu.

Rickson deserves better than this production. I agree he should be doing this with Rener.

3/13/18 11:55 AM
9/10/12

rnavi - i agree 100%

3/13/18 12:14 PM
1/1/01
I'm still bugged after getting a good nights sleep.

The upa lesson was similarly flawed.

1. Why do you grab the arm? Not explained.

2. Why do you trap the leg? Not explained.

3. So many details left out.

4. Again, going back to Gracie University, the trap and roll lesson there is 35 minutes. Not to mention it is the first lesson.

5. They show Rickson grabbing the top persons sleeve at one point. I really think they should have avoided any grabbing of material. Go with the most widely applicable movements for all situations.

Who are these lessons for? They aren't good for a brand new person. Yet there aren't additional details to make it valuable for an experienced person.

I just don't get it. And I hate posting negative stuff. But I was expecting to have my mind blown with new basic details.

3/13/18 12:57 PM
1/1/01

Couldn’t agree more with everyone re: quality and personal disappoint.

3/13/18 5:13 PM
9/10/12

anymore reviews?

3/13/18 8:44 PM
1/1/01
Sounds like the budovideos interview with Rickson on youtube where he demonstrates stuff with Jake, he goes into good detail on those couple of videos, probably moreso than these instructionals.
3/13/18 9:08 PM
9/10/12
groundfighter2000 - Sounds like the budovideos interview with Rickson on youtube where he demonstrates stuff with Jake, he goes into good detail on those couple of videos, probably moreso than these instructionals.

That style of production was 10x more effective than this one.

That Video with Jake for example was what, 14 mins? Including the talking?

These videos combined with all 30+ videos was less than 30 mins. For comparisons sake

3/13/18 10:39 PM
9/10/12

I look forward to hearing Jack Taufees honest review

3/13/18 10:42 PM
3/15/15
They fucking suck. I won't be buying any more from Galler. Like 1 minute long with slick, too-close camera work with voice-over and hardly any details. In one of the headlock videos he says "and I block the arm", without giving any explanation. Literally no different and with less detail than any other videos I've seen of the technique.

Mount escape: "To escape from the mount position, you should control one arm with both hands, trap his foot with your foot on the same side, take your head out of the way and raise your hips, and in a rolling motion end up on top.Make sure when you do the upa don't keep your head in the way because that's how you avoid the perfect movement. Take your head out of the way giving the perfect angle for when you raise your hips your whole body goes smoothly over the shoulder and bringing your opponent down".

I don't need 30 minute videos on one technique, but a 5 minute video would be good.
Here is Rickson's mistake: he should have had a site with weekly uploads of his system, I would have gladly paid for that, like Saulo, MG, etc. Heck, I'd pay premium.
Instead these appear like "demos" with voice over. There is some detail but very scant and sometimes camera-work is too fast and unclear.

3/14/18 12:00 AM
3/11/18

Looks like it's few hours left to buy Rickson's Instructional by Promo Price. You can buy it HERE.

So is it worth money or no?

3/14/18 12:21 AM
9/10/12
Cokica -

Looks like it's few hours left to buy Rickson's Instructional by Promo Price. You can buy it HERE.

So is it worth money or no?

After reading the above reviews if you think you should buy it, you definitely should. 

3/14/18 12:47 AM
1/1/01

I don't really get the disappointment.

I guess it's something you just have to feel to understand.

3/14/18 12:51 AM
9/10/12
shen -

I don't really get the disappointment.

I guess it's something you just have to feel to understand.

Are you saying we are missing the connection? 

:)

3/14/18 12:57 AM
3/11/18

Yes, we're missing the Rickson's connection and we're not capable of understanding it :) It's probably some kind of Invisible explaining :)