BJJGround That was ALL chin bro!

7 days ago
8/1/17
Says the guy I choked. Pretty sure it was his neck though, and he was just bitching that he got submitted. But wait, it must not have counted as a sub if he tapped from the jaw pain and not the neck pain.

Where y'all stand on this sorta thing?
7 days ago
10/13/02
Its a submission, period. If he wants to put his chin in the way of your choke, thats on him.
7 days ago
1/1/01
FACECHOKE THE FUKKER!!

Tucking a chin is not a defense!!!... it's a delaying tactic. you better do something else with that time.
7 days ago
4/12/11

The chin is not a defence. The sooner everyone learns this the better. One Chin at a time ppl

7 days ago
2/15/14

choking on the chin/jaw is a legitimate technique. It causes pain and can even dislocate the jaw

If they want to complain about the chin/jaw pain, they can always lift their chin to defend against a dislocated jaw and give way to the clean choke

7 days ago
4/2/13

Did this once, drop my chin.  Once.

7 days ago
10/16/14

You’re putting pressure on a body part.

If someone taps to my knee on belly (aka “putting pressure on a body part”) it’s on them.

There’s even a Braulio video where he talks about effective chin RNCs.

6 days ago
8/1/17
This one was a baseball bat choke from side control. I didn't apologize, because in my opinion I shouldn't have to. It also felt like a clean choke. His chin may have been involved but people shouldn't bitch about shit like that.

If it hurts too much, tap out.
6 days ago
12/26/02

I quit the first place I trained because there was a spaz that they decided not to teach anything because he was "more fun to watch" as a super spaz.  One day he headlocked me around my eyeline and just started grinding his forearm on my temple so hard he opened a cut on the side of my face.  When I realized I was bleeding, I tapped so I wouldn't get blood everywhere.  As we stopped, there was an assistant instructor walking by, and I said "Can we please start teaching him some BJJ?"  He looked at me and said "A tap is a tap."  I picked up my gear, walked out, and never went back.  

(I also told Roy Harris that story once, when he asked about my background before I came to him. He was as dismayed as I had been.)  

If you choked the chin, you should care.  You "won" today but with something that isn't a part of your growth. If you continue doing it rather than fixing it, you are choosing to hold yourself back when the opportunity to improve is there.  This game is a marathon, and the real winning comes from making changes everyday. There is no improvement without change.  

If you didn't choke the chin, and he's just being weird, then ignore it.  But don't let him catch you up in the idea that each day's "scorecard" matters.  Today's growth is what matters.  I used to say around the gym, "In ten years, I aim to be a good blackbelt, not Reigning King of the Whitebelts."  

Bottom line:  

Do you want to be good at BJJ or do you want to tap people? These are not even close to the same thing. Make a clear choice. 

6 days ago
10/8/13
twinkletoesCT -

I quit the first place I trained because there was a spaz that they decided not to teach anything because he was "more fun to watch" as a super spaz.  One day he headlocked me around my eyeline and just started grinding his forearm on my temple so hard he opened a cut on the side of my face.  When I realized I was bleeding, I tapped so I wouldn't get blood everywhere.  As we stopped, there was an assistant instructor walking by, and I said "Can we please start teaching him some BJJ?"  He looked at me and said "A tap is a tap."  I picked up my gear, walked out, and never went back.  

(I also told Roy Harris that story once, when he asked about my background before I came to him. He was as dismayed as I had been.)  

If you choked the chin, you should care.  You "won" today but with something that isn't a part of your growth. If you continue doing it rather than fixing it, you are choosing to hold yourself back when the opportunity to improve is there.  This game is a marathon, and the real winning comes from making changes everyday. There is no improvement without change.  

If you didn't choke the chin, and he's just being weird, then ignore it.  But don't let him catch you up in the idea that each day's "scorecard" matters.  Today's growth is what matters.  I used to say around the gym, "In ten years, I aim to be a good blackbelt, not Reigning King of the Whitebelts."  

Bottom line:  

Do you want to be good at BJJ or do you want to tap people? These are not even close to the same thing. Make a clear choice. 

Sure, but it's also horrible practice to count on the kindness of your training partners to survive submissions. 

I would squeeze depending on how hard my opponent is rolling. If they're going 100%, they're getting the squeeze, if they're being flowy and technical, they are spared.  

6 days ago
8/1/17
Interesting. I'll for sure try and be a team player. Like I said, I felt his neck...I usually don't go out of my way to choke the jaw. I think he was just pissed he got caught. He did not have to let his chin get in the way...and if it hurts him too badly then maybe he either should find a different way of defending it or just tap out.
6 days ago
8/3/12

6 days ago
8/1/17
Fern 10th Planet -

That is awesome. Thank you!
6 days ago
11/10/05

Yeah, the braulio tech is good.

I don't have a hard rule about this. I think you need to look at what you're trying to do.

Are you working on a technique or are you just trying to brute force your way through something? Are you using it to force a specific defense to transition to something else? I don't care if I tap someone in training and it's pretty nice of some of training partners to allow themselves to be put into tough positions. If I've evaluated what I've got and I'm just trying to push through the cheekbone, jaw, neck crank, etc then I'll move on.

Maybe I could've gotten it, maybe not. I don't care. I especially don't want to cause an injury to one of my partners. I don't care if it's just their ego and they could've tapped. 

Also, this whole "don't use your chin" argument is a little ridiculous. Of course you should use your chin and shoulders to help prevent you from being choked. You want to close the space as much as possible not just to make it easier for the hands to block, but it also buys you some time from the choke itself.

6 days ago
4/2/13

Watch Baret Yoshida choke the face, it's in competition but is brutal.

6 days ago
12/26/02
hizzo - 
twinkletoesCT -

Bottom line:  

Sure, but it's also horrible practice to count on the kindness of your training partners to survive submissions. 

I would squeeze depending on how hard my opponent is rolling. If they're going 100%, they're getting the squeeze, if they're being flowy and technical, they are spared.  

I have said nothing about what to do on the receiving end.  The obvious answer is: tap!

Tapping doesn't matter. It especially doesn't matter whether the technique is "good" or "bad" or anything else.  If you have passed the window for escape and you face extreme pain or injury (or being choked out), then no matter what's causing that you should obviously tap.  Who would think otherwise?

What I said in my first post is about the person administering the "submission."  And what I said is that if you're doing dumb stuff that isn't good BJJ, then it won't make you better at BJJ.  When I'm on the receiving end, I don't count on my partners to strictly do things that are "by the book," but I also expect us, as a group, to avoid doing overly injurious stuff, especially if it isn't good BJJ.  Face cranks (of all kinds) are injurious and don't belong in the daily toolset of someone training for the long term.  

6 days ago
8/1/17
twinkletoesCT -
hizzo - 
twinkletoesCT -

Bottom line:  

I have said nothing about what to do on the receiving end.  The obvious answer is: tap!

Tapping doesn't matter. It especially doesn't matter whether the technique is "good" or "bad" or anything else.  If you have passed the window for escape and you face extreme pain or injury (or being choked out), then no matter what's causing that you should obviously tap.  Who would think otherwise?

What I said in my first post is about the person administering the "submission."  And what I said is that if you're doing dumb stuff that isn't good BJJ, then it won't make you better at BJJ.  When I'm on the receiving end, I don't count on my partners to strictly do things that are "by the book," but I also expect us, as a group, to avoid doing overly injurious stuff, especially if it isn't good BJJ.  Face cranks (of all kinds) are injurious and don't belong in the daily toolset of someone training for the long term.  

I certainly appreciated your input
6 days ago
8/28/10
Robobear -

Did this once, drop my chin.  Once.

fctv taught me that as a white belt. My face now looks like sloth from the goonies face
6 days ago
10/8/13
twinkletoesCT -
hizzo - 
twinkletoesCT -

Bottom line:  

As a seasoned white belt, I think you're wrong

6 days ago
1/1/01
Robobear - 

Watch Baret Yoshida choke the face, it's in competition but is brutal.

Doesn't he lift up on the nose to lift the chin?
6 days ago
1/1/01
im not talkimg cheapshotting your partner. And Inshowed all mu partners how to tap me with face cranks....and made tjem practice it on me so they got it right!! But if a partner is turtlimg and tucking the chin withoit making proper use of their hands to counter...deal with it or tap. We do reps of choking and tryomg to breathrough/breakdown choke defenss....we fail and tap a lot. all part of the game.

I learned ways to smash,cracckle pop things....we specifically train them sometimes,bit usually durimg sparring we dont do them
6 days ago
1/13/06

chin down or chin up i personally am still able to finish the choke. chin down is not a defence you want to ever be doing

6 days ago
2/26/07
Sgt. Slaphead - FACECHOKE THE FUKKER!!

Tucking a chin is not a defense!!!... it's a delaying tactic. you better do something else with that time.

this, choke the face