Revgear League BJJGround Who are the highest-ranked living Carlson BBs...?

Edited: 6 days ago
1/1/01

Pinduka, Marcus Soares...??? I know I am missing some names.

I believe Rosado was, but he passed away.

Just curious. Thanks!

6 days ago
11/8/09
What rank is Carlson jr?

I heard they're doing some sort of Carlson black belt reunion seminars.

I train at a Marcus affiliate. It's really cool when he comes to teach. His techniques are all very direct and easy to learn. Nothing is complicated and there is very little wasted energy. It's all very brutal. Ha. Pressure pressure pressure.

One of my favourite things he says is, "and his only option ees to tap."
6 days ago
1/1/01

I think Jr is 5th, so there are others who are higher... Just want to know who, other than Pinduka & Soares.

6 days ago
1/1/01
I remember hearing about Orlando Saraiva a few months ago. I believe he is a red belt.
6 days ago
1/25/03
shen - 

Just curious. Thanks!

Rosado is still alive.

Pinduka is 8th degree. Sergio Bolao is a 7th degree I think. De la Riva gets his seventh degree in August.
6 days ago
1/1/01

Saporito is 7th, right? I've seen a couple of vids recently of Pinduka and Saporito showing self defense -  https://www.gallerr.com/gallerr/gallery/bjj-fernando-pinduka-teaches-2-self-defense-positions

James

Edited: 6 days ago
1/1/01
Hywel Teague - 
shen - 

Just curious. Thanks!

Rosado is still alive.

Pinduka is 8th degree. Sergio Bolao is a 7th degree I think. De la Riva gets his seventh degree in August.

Really...?

Wasn't there a Carlson Red Belt who died in the last couple years? I thought it was him and Ithought he was the only one. Maybe it was someone else...? 

I must be confused.

6 days ago
12/21/04

Carlson has at least four living Red Belts

1. Rosado

2. Carley Gracie

3. Orlando Saraiva

4. Arthur Virgilio Neto

Oswaldo "Paqueta" was also one of his Red Belts who passed away within the past few years.

6 days ago
1/1/01

^ OK, thank you!

5 days ago
1/1/01
Rosado got his 9 th degree red in 1989 when he was 40 years old. Federcao rules were different then with degrees every 2 years and lower age limits.
5 days ago
8/27/08

There's one in Colorado I trained with a lifetime ago, he was also a famous surfer. He's got to be up there

5 days ago
4/28/06
Hywel Teague - 
shen - 

Just curious. Thanks!

Rosado is still alive.

I was just gonna mention Bolão. My teacher is from his lineage. Brutal jiu jitsu.
5 days ago
1/11/07

Julio Foca Fernandez got his blackbelt from Carlson in 1988. I think he was around the De La Riva era.

5 days ago
1/1/01

Apparently, Authur Virgilio Neto is also the Mayor of Manaus.

5 days ago
3/28/02

is Cassio Cardoso a red belt now?

5 days ago
12/21/04
EazyG - 

is Cassio Cardoso a red belt now?

Cassio is still red/black coral belt (7th degree). I assume he should be getting his red/white coral belt soon.
5 days ago
6/30/14
question: how much of a difference in knowledge is there when you get to these high-level belts?

Making up an example say 5th and 9th degree? Is it just age and contributions to the sport that make the biggest difference is there a notable skill gap too?

The difference between blue and purple, or purple and brown, can be substantial.

Is it like that at those levels or no?
5 days ago
1/1/01
damn, Carley is still alive?
Edited: 3 days ago
1/1/01
TFK_Fanboy - question: how much of a difference in knowledge is there when you get to these high-level belts?

Making up an example say 5th and 9th degree? Is it just age and contributions to the sport that make the biggest difference is there a notable skill gap too?

The difference between blue and purple, or purple and brown, can be substantial.

Is it like that at those levels or no?

I don't know because I am not at that level.

But one night at Gene LeBell's school  I talked to the late Toney Raven (Judo 8th dan?) who had just come in 2nd in a World Masters Judo Tournament. He told me,  "If all the martial arts knowledge in the world were contained in this room and everything I knew was behind me and everything I didn't know was in front of me, I'd be standing with my back about an inch away from that wall."

Then he bowed and got on the mat.

I'll never forget that.

5 days ago
11/8/09
I'm pretty sure that Marcus was a red and white belt the last time he was here. I could be wrong though...
4 days ago
12/24/10

Here's a relavent pic from that seminar last weekend. How many BB's can you name?

blue plz

http://i68.tinypic.com/dlhmys.jpg

4 days ago
1/1/01
Shinsplint - 

Here's a relavent pic from that seminar last weekend. How many BB's can you name?

blue plz

http://i68.tinypic.com/dlhmys.jpg

Not seeing any pic at that link?

James

4 days ago
5/7/06

Junior is 6th

other names worth mentioning are

Peixothino, Pinduka, Marcio dos Santos

And Marcus Soares has the most evil, straight up abusively brutal jiu-jitsu I've ever experienced.

4 days ago
5/7/06

I've also rolled with Kiko Velloso, who's a red & black belt.

The man is still a death machine.

4 days ago
11/8/09
I agree with the abusive brutality of Marcus's style of jiujitsu. It's awesome.