Revgear League BJJGround Would you use this service?

Edited: 6 days ago
10/12/15

If you knew of a spot with good mat space and charged by the half hour or hour to roll freely, would you use this?

Maybe you couldn't make class, want to roll more than your school has classes...

Maybe you're bored downtown in the city with a bjj buddy and want to get some rolls in to kill time...

You can go in alone in hopes to meet some strangers open to rolling. Maybe you want to teach a private and it's cheaper for you to teach in our private room.

There are gi rentals, snacks, drinks, showers..

Would you use this place?

6 days ago
10/12/15

Yes, no?

Why or why not?

Considering starting a business

6 days ago
3/18/05
I would for sure. I've always wanted to find a neutral mat space that is professionally maintained (not a garage mat set up, though some are nice). I wouldn't mind paying a fee once a week or couple times a month just to have a fun roll session wuth buddies and not do a structured class. Most months out if the year I can't get to a real gym enough times to justify paying full school fees.
I've often thought about this business model as there are a lot of BJJ hobbyist types out there. Its a hobby for me and at this point I just want to do it for the fun and exercise more so than my "bjj development". That mentality of course fades and I do get the it h to improve via instructor guidance.
I do wonder how a place like that could stay open though, most schools with a traditional student payment structure have a tough time as it is. Without guaranteed income via contracts and loyal students etc, it is very difficult to know if you'll be able to pay bills next month.
6 days ago
8/5/13
I would. I have mats in my garage but it gets hot and the sun blinds us sometimes. It would be nice to have a place like that.
6 days ago
4/26/13

I would use it if I was traveling but wouldnt recommend this as a business model.  Who would your customers be?  Travelers and/or people who train without an instructor?  Unless you're in a major tourist destination I can't see it getting many customers and even if it did the rent would be crazy in those places.

6 days ago
3/18/05
Easters -

I would use it if I was traveling but wouldnt recommend this as a business model.  Who would your customers be?  Travelers and/or people who train without an instructor?  Unless you're in a major tourist destination I can't see it getting many customers and even if it did the rent would be crazy in those places.

Thats my thoughts as well. Maybe if you had a large facility and a portion of it was devoted to grappling space for drop ins. You would need to have a section dedicated to contracted cross fit coaches, or some other exercise class type that guaranteed a projected income.
Like some kind of all encompassing fitness facility with a nice mat space. I don't see enough grapplers dropping for a half hour or two to sustain it. Most bjj students will still spend a,majority if their time/money at their home gym.
BUT I would use something like this if it was available.
There is a reason pretty much all bjj schools, gyms, cross fit etc really push long comitted contracts.
6 days ago
8/3/11
I would definitely use it.

I go to my gym pretty often, but there are definitely times when my gym isn't open and I want to get some rolls in. I could also bring a friend who's thinking about trying bjj so I could show them the ropes.

Is it open 24/7? Because there's often times where I can't make it to the gym due to work, but I could make it later in the night if I could find an open mat space.

I can think of plenty more reasons why I would use something like this
6 days ago
10/12/15
ClutchTheBear - I would definitely use it.

I go to my gym pretty often, but there are definitely times when my gym isn't open and I want to get some rolls in. I could also bring a friend who's thinking about trying bjj so I could show them the ropes.

Is it open 24/7? Because there's often times where I can't make it to the gym due to work, but I could make it later in the night if I could find an open mat space.

I can think of plenty more reasons why I would use something like this

It wouldn't be 24 hours but would be like 6am-10pm or something.

I agree with you all of the concerns so far which is why i came here to see how many people would use it.

It would be in Toronto and for a chance at success would need to be downtown. That's what concerns me most because even though tons of people in the GTA roll, the rent is insane.

Edited: 6 days ago
1/1/01

I think the real problem would be finding a partner at the exact same time you want to train.

I can't really imagine a business like this could generate enough revenue to stay open, especially if there are amenities. 

If it's part of a larger BJJ school, SOME people will be turned off because it's like they are going to a"rival" school to train. But if it's completely independent and doesn't offer any classes, then I think it just wouldn't make much money.

I agree there is SOME need for something like this, but is the need great enoughto work as a business? I doubt it is.

I agree if you were to market it as a place to teach privates, that would make sense. I think mutiple smaller private mats would make sense.

You also have to consider for yourself, "How are people going to misuse/abuse this service?" 

Liability would be a concern. You have god knows who rolling with eachother with no supervision and someone gets seriously hurt on your property...

But, then again, I really know nothing about business.