GamerGround Good gaming pc buy?

7 days ago
10/1/12
Sam's club has a tower with 16gb memory, Intel I7, and nvidia gr8 730 for $800. Worth It? I know next to nothing about gaming computers.
7 days ago
10/1/12
Or they have an all in one touch screen with 8 gb memory and 930x graphics for $900. Everything else is virtually identical.
7 days ago
3/21/11

got a link to them? need top read the rest of the specs

7 days ago
3/21/11

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/del-dt-16gb-1tb-intel-core-i7-7700/prod21229712.ip?xid=plp1118-elec:product:1:2

that it?

6 days ago
10/1/12
Link didn't work for me. Couldn't find either on their site. I decided today that I'm going to get one. I'm glad I didn't spontaneously pick the one up from Sam's. Need to just do my research and see what I can get for under 800
6 days ago
8/28/02

If it's the same one that Drunkie linked to I would definitely recommend not buying it. The GPU in that (GT 730) is arguably worse than the PS4's GPU & a PS4 costs $299 or less. Also, it's definitely less powerful than the PS4 Pro's GPU(for $399 total) The CPU in this computer is better, but in terms of gaming, you're really going to notice the videocard/GPU difference.

While building is usually preferable in terms of flexibility and cost, if you really want to get a pre-build, this one from cyberpowerpc is way better https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Syber-Steam-Machine-Pro

Also, if you factor in the prescense/lack of sales tax, the difference in price isn't all that much. the only thing is that it comes with steam's OS instead of windows, so you'll need to get that to have access to a full array of games. I'm sure there are even better deals out there, but that one was from the top of my head, and you can customize it further on the website.

6 days ago
3/21/11
MITman2k -

If it's the same one that Drunkie linked to I would definitely recommend not buying it. The GPU in that (GT 730) is arguably worse than the PS4's GPU & a PS4 costs $299 or less. Also, it's definitely less powerful than the PS4 Pro's GPU(for $399 total) The CPU in this computer is better, but in terms of gaming, you're really going to notice the videocard/GPU difference.

While building is usually preferable in terms of flexibility and cost, if you really want to get a pre-build, this one from cyberpowerpc is way better https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Syber-Steam-Machine-Pro

Also, if you factor in the prescense/lack of sales tax, the difference in price isn't all that much. the only thing is that it comes with steam's OS instead of windows, so you'll need to get that to have access to a full array of games. I'm sure there are even better deals out there, but that one was from the top of my head, and you can customize it further on the website.

get none of the above right now

the gpu on it is 100% shit. hmm well i just looked up gpu prices and they are retarded rigth now. i don't know why. 1060's for  400 bucks? this should be 200. 1070s for 600 that should be 300. so i don't know whats going on that is leading to these price hikes.

i was going to say just get the sams one and add a real gpu but at these prices that would be insane.

steam os is shit that is   a gimped pc. so you prolly looking at 150 just to get a os.

i prolly wouldn't buy any of these options now. prices are to high right now. weight a month or 2 and they will prolly change again.

also  look at frys or microcenter davefu always finds some sick deals that he posts from one of them places

6 days ago
10/1/12
Not having Windows OS would be a deal breaker for sure. It won't be a solely gaming pc. I'm looking for a family pc that packs enough power to run games at settings at or above console. I've already got a ps4.

I'm ok with waiting since I won't really have excessive free time to enjoy it until fall anyhow.
Edited: 6 days ago
8/28/02

^^GPU prices are stupid high right now because of the resurgence of cryptocurrency mining via consumer gpu's(i.e. etherium and others)

AMD cards , (if you can find them at all) are at almost double mark-up prices. This drives up demand for similar mid-range NVIDIA products (like the 1060 or 1070) in-turn increasing prices for those too. So agreed on the market being screwed right now, but that was just meant as a quick-find pre-build suggestion in case Kentoonn really wanted to buy right now. Home version of windows is ~$100 & less if purchased via key reseller (though there are risks to that),

Since he's willing to wait though, that's probably a good idea untill the market gets settled down again.

6 days ago
10/1/12
Appreciate the insight guys. I'll revisit in a couple of months to give prices some time to relax.
6 days ago
1/1/01

Holy fuck. I had heard about the mining resurgence but I didn't realize that the cards were that expensive 

6 days ago
3/21/11
MITman2k -

^^GPU prices are stupid high right now because of the resurgence of cryptocurrency mining via consumer gpu's(i.e. etherium and others)

AMD cards , (if you can find them at all) are at almost double mark-up prices. This drives up demand for similar mid-range NVIDIA products (like the 1060 or 1070) in-turn increasing prices for those too. So agreed on the market being screwed right now, but that was just meant as a quick-find pre-build suggestion in case Kentoonn really wanted to buy right now. Home version of windows is ~$100 & less if purchased via key reseller (though there are risks to that),

Since he's willing to wait though, that's probably a good idea untill the market gets settled down again.

ty for that. i was wondering what was making the price hike. i didn't even think about the mining crap. makes me wonder how long it till take for normal prices to return..i recall rereading about nvidia making special mining cards are they out yet? hopfully once those are repleased prices will settle

Edited: 5 days ago
8/28/02

Yeah, NVIDIA is reportedly making some, which will be gimped on the gaming side but heavy on the compute side, here's a recent article:

https://segmentnext.com/2017/06/15/nvidia-crypto-mining-gtx-1080-1060/

And an article today from PCGamer about the mining issue.

http://www.pcgamer.com/it-looks-like-cryptocurrency-mining-is-driving-up-nvidia-graphics-card-prices-too/

Unfortunately I don't think it's clear as to when prices will go back down. Back in 2013ish, AMD's 200 series cards took several months to get back to reasonable price and stock levels. So we'll see...

It's interesting how much of building a PC comes down to the right timing, whether it's factoring in price volatility in GPU's/RAM(RAM and NAND shortages are making prices pretty crappy now too), or knowing how soon a new product is going to replace an older one