GeekGround Finally read Invincible Iron Man #600

5 days ago
1/1/01

tldr;  Meh.

SPOILERS below

Bendis last issue with Marvel felt really phoned in.

First off, Leonardo da Vinci.  The character doesn't speak at all like the character Jonathan Hickman brought into the Marvel Universe.  Nor does the character act like Hickman's version.  I guess Bendis could be bothered to get the character right.

Then there's everything that Bendis can't be bothered with to explain: 

• How does Tony resurrect Rhodes?
  • Where has Tony been and why?
  • How did Tony's dad survive?
  • How did Leonardo survive?
There's no point in asking because Bendis can't be bothered.  Unfortunately, this is common trope with Bendis.  In Secret War Bendis had Reed Richards figure out how to stop the Skrulls by simply saying "I know what they did!" and left it at that.  It felt cheap then.  It feels very cheap now.

Then there's Bendis' tell instead of show.  There was something like 3-4 pages gushing how awesome Tony's mom was and is.  Screw that.  How about showing us how cool she is.  But Bendis doesn't do this because....well, maybe because he can't.  Showing would require thought and would allow for readers to get a say on if Tony's mom was cool.

The artwork was fine, albeit jarring when we switched form one artist to the next for no good reason as far as I could tell.

Feels like Bendis phoned this in.  Compressing 4+ issues into one comic via quick dictation so he could shut the door and head to DC.  

5 days ago
3/7/05
I tried to stick with Ironman but Mary Jane suddenly being a business genius, Tony's 'mom', nope just couldn't deal with all that garbage.
5 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - I tried to stick with Ironman but Mary Jane suddenly being a business genius, Tony's 'mom', nope just couldn't deal with all that garbage.

I don't blame you one bit.  

4 days ago
8/1/17

You need a "g" at the end of your SN