GeekGround I guess this is really happening.......

10 days ago
1/1/01

Marvel really is going to have another x-man book: X-Men Red, with Jean Grey as the leader.

On the plus side, her costume looks like rubbish.

Expect the rest of the team to be named today or tomorrow

10 days ago
9/27/03

Garbage. Who actually likes this character?

10 days ago
1/1/01

FFS.....

10 days ago
1/1/01
disbeliever - 

Garbage. Who actually likes this character?

Honestly, as I life long x-fan, I really didn't care about Jean.  That is to say while I didn't like her, I didn't dislike her either.  She was just there.

Then Bendis grabbed the original x-men from the timeline and threw them into the modern 616.  And Bendis gave Jean a personality.  And I realized that Jean is a horrible person, and I would very much like to see her dead by page 2.  So, thanks for that Bendis.

10 days ago
1/1/01

paw comments:  Damn it.  I care about Nightcrawler and Gabby.  F*** you, Marvel!!!!  

10 days ago
1/1/01

Full cast

10 days ago
1/1/01

paw comments:  There's eleventy billion mutants, but this book had to create a new one?  I'm thinking the new character will be a Mary Sue.  

Screw you Marvel...you're going to ruin Gabby, Nightcrawler and Laura in this book.  I'm nearly certain of it.

10 days ago
3/7/05
What is the new one?
10 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - What is the new one?

The one with a pony-tail.  I guess she's to be called "Trinary".  Again, dollars to donuts, she's treated like a Mary Sue.

10 days ago
3/7/05
paw - 

The one with a pony-tail.  I guess she's to be called "Trinary".  Again, dollars to donuts, she's treated like a Mary Sue.

If the Ultimates is any guide to new characters, yes. She will be super strong, super smart, nearly invulnerable, good hearted and also have several other high level powers.

They killed off most of the mutants though didn't they?
10 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - 
paw - 

If the Ultimates is any guide to new characters, yes. She will be super strong, super smart, nearly invulnerable, good hearted and also have several other high level powers.

They killed off most of the mutants though didn't they?

Not really.

In broad strokes, all but a handful of mutants were depowered during M-Day. 

After Second Coming - new mutants were discovered, but only a handful (4-5, iirc)

Then after AvX, the ability for mutants to be born were restored.

Then we had Inhumans vs X-Men, which threatened all mutants with death, but that got resolved so mutants are safe.

Where are we now?

Some mutants who were depowered have been re-powered, generally without any explainatiion - literally, characters have just showed up in an x-book with powers and there's no explaination.  There's also a thread in one of the x-book (X-Men:Blue...maybe, I don't remember) that a a cabal is trying to repower mutants.  And writers have also established that you can pull mutants from other timelines/dimensions (again, X-Men: Blue). So, long story short...mutants are a thing again.

10 days ago
1/1/01

Please make it stop!!!

From https://www.cbr.com/marvel-x-men-red-description/

Despite revealing what was believed to be the full roster for X-Men Red, Marvel Comics is teasing the addition of fan-favorite hero.

It was announced earlier today that Jean Grey’s team of X-Men will include the All-New Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Wolverine’s sister Gabby, Wakandan mutant Gentle, Namor the Sub-Mariner and a new hero, Trinary. “We’ve also got one more fan-favorite hero joining the team in this first arc,” said X-Men group editor Mark Paniccia. “As the threat level escalates, Jean needs to build a highly specialized team … not just those she trusts, but allies who can survive the oncoming storm.”

Here’s the new description for Marvel’s X-Men Red:

When one of the most dangerous X-Men villains returns to wreak havoc, Jean’s dreams of peace are threatened…and order starts to turn to chaos. It’s mutant against mutant this February in an all-new adventure that will have X-fans on the edge of their seats, as Jean Grey’s team takes on the Marvel Universe – only in X-MEN RED!

Written by Tom Taylor and illustrated by Mahmud Asrar, with covers by Travist Charest, X-Men Red will launch in February as a companion to the current X-Men Blue and X-Men Gold. 

Jean will return in Phoenix Resurrection, marking the first time fans have seen an adult Jean Grey in the Marvel Universe since her death in New X-Men more than a decade ago. The time-displaced teenage version of the character has been a prominent part of Marvel’s stories the past few years, and stars in her own ongoing Jean Grey series.

Phoenix Resurrection #1, written by Matthew Rosenberg and illustrated by Leinil Francis Yu, is scheduled for release on Dec. 27.
10 days ago
1/1/01

paw comments:  If the returning villain is Emma Frost, I'm going to rage.  And GTFO with a team of "those she trusts" including Namor.

9 days ago
10/27/05
paw - 

paw comments:  If the returning villain is Emma Frost, I'm going to rage.  And GTFO with a team of "those she trusts" including Namor.

I finally got around to reading #1-8 of the current Jean Grey run. It's not bad at all.

If you immediately discount the fact that outside of being close to Prof X, Cyclops Lover, and The Pheonix Force being the only real traits to her character I enjoyed it.

Of course the current run is all about time displaced Jean eventually becoming the Pheonix, which will bring regular 616 JG back, I actually liked it. She's young and doesn't know herself yet so each book had her interacting with other characters, ones who were hosts Colossus, Illayana, Namor, to other big characters, Thor, Dr. Strange, and Psyloche. Then finally the spirit of 616 taking her to battle of course Emma Frost.

Would I recommend it? Eh, if you've got cash to burn.

As someone who currently collects WAY too much it was actually great for it to not be such a horrible book like a few others I have right now.

If X-Men Red is more about the team and get's interesting that will be ok, but not just a second full JG vs the Pheonix style book.

9 days ago
3/7/05
Wolverine has a SISTER now? WTF? Was his cousin busy? What about his uncle Jimmy Jack Logan? Grandma Wolverine has her own book? Seriously Marvel.
9 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - Wolverine has a SISTER now? WTF? Was his cousin busy? What about his uncle Jimmy Jack Logan? Grandma Wolverine has her own book? Seriously Marvel.

Let me 'splain.

In one of the first arcs of "All New Wolverine" (featuring Laura Kinney, aka X-23, aka the female clone of Wolverine), it was revealed that sub-project spun off and tried to clone Laura.  Long story short, most of those clones were killed, although Gabby, the youngest clone, survives.  Although Gabby is a clone of Laura, they refer to each other as sisters.

Gaby is a great character, imo.  Of course, ymmv

On the plus side, I think Taylor has been writing a solid book with "All New Wolverine" and I think it's great that Marvel is giving him another high profile book to write.  But I have no interest in this book and honest think the Marvel Universe would be better served by Jean Grey staying dead.

9 days ago
1/1/01

But yes...there are too f*****in' many Wolverines in the Marvel Universe right now.

• Old Man Logan
  • The original Wolverine, James Howlet is back from the dead
  • Jimmy Hudson, Ultimate Wolverine's son from the Ultimate Universe
  • Laura Kinney, a female clone of James Howlet

If it were up to me, I would kill Jimmy Hudson.  The other characters are fine, although with James Howlet back from the dead, Laura should adopt another super-hero name or something.....
9 days ago
3/7/05
One clone, ONE is all there should be. Logan and Laura, no more. It just gets silly after that.
9 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - One clone, ONE is all there should be. Logan and Laura, no more. It just gets silly after that.

That's a perfectly reasonable position to have.

8 days ago
1/1/01
Whoa, whoa, whoa - wait, WTF - how the fuck is NAMOR in a book about mutants????
8 days ago
3/7/05
None So Blind - Whoa, whoa, whoa - wait, WTF - how the fuck is NAMOR in a book about mutants????

Didn't Bendis make him like an honorary mutant or something? Sounds like a Bendis retcon.
8 days ago
1/1/01
None So Blind - Whoa, whoa, whoa - wait, WTF - how the fuck is NAMOR in a book about mutants????

Namor is not only a mutant, he's regarded as the FIRST MUTANT.

From wikipedia

Marvel has repeatedly identified Namor as "Marvel's first mutant", which is true with regard to the order in which the character appeared in print. He is not the oldest mutant within the fictional Marvel Universe timeline. A number of mutants predate him, including Selene(active since at least 10,000 BC), Apocalypse (born in the 30th century BC), Exodus (born in the 12th century AD), Wolverine (late 19th century AD), Mystique and Destiny (dates of birth unknown, but known to have been active at the "Dawn of the 20th century"), the demonic mutant Azazel, and a group of mutants known as the Externals.

In X-Men #6 (July 1964), X-Men leader Professor Xavier and antagonist Magneto each suspect Namor is a mutant and make efforts to recruit him. Later writers in the 1960s and 1970s described him as a hybrid, not a mutant, in order to distinguish him from the mutant X-Men.[68] When the series was revived in 1990, the series title logo carried the subtitle "Marvel's first and mightiest mutant!".

Namor is actually a hybrid of Atlantean and human physiology, although he has principal characteristics that neither Atlanteans (Homo mermanus) nor humans (Homo sapiens) possess. These include his ability to fly, and possibly his durability and strength (which is several times that of an Atlantean).

In the first issue of the five part Illuminati miniseries, after being experimented on by the Skrulls, it was confirmed that Namor is not only an Atlantean/human hybrid but also a mutant.

8 days ago
3/7/05
The first mutant in a publishing sense, even though he was certainly NOT presented as a mutant and apocalypse is the 'first mutant' in a timeline in story sense even though he sucks eggs.
8 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - The first mutant in a publishing sense, even though he was certainly NOT presented as a mutant and apocalypse is the 'first mutant' in a timeline in story sense even though he sucks eggs.

Yup.  Apocalypse does suck eggs.

It is known.

8 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - 

Didn't Bendis make him like an honorary mutant or something? Sounds like a Bendis retcon.

Stan Lee made him a mutant.

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/12510/uncanny_x-men_1963_6