GeekGround Robert Kirkman's new comic and what he learned

10 days ago
1/1/01
From https://www.cbr.com/robert-kirkman-obivion-song-tv-influence/

When The Walking Dead launched back in 2003, no one could have predicted the massive multimedia success the series would have. So now when Walking Dead franchise creator Robert Kirkman launches a new comic book, he does so with a very different set of experiences than he had back then — which helped shape his approach to he and artist Lorenzo De Felici’s upcoming creator-owned sci-fi series for Skybound and Image Comics, Oblivion Song.

During a recent press conference call for Oblivion Song, Kirkman told CBR how his success in Hollywood — including eight years and counting of The Walking Dead on AMC, Outcast on Cinemax and the in-development Invincible film — affects his new comic book series. Rather than changing the way the creative team tells the story itself, Kirkman says it’s more about applying lessons from Hollywood to the production schedule and marketing strategy; allowing for an opportunity to step away from the internal logic of the comic book industry.

“I think that we in comics do ourselves a disservice at all times by really kind of running and gunning everything that we do,” Kirkman told CBR. “I think people would be surprised to learn that when the vast majority of comics show up in the catalogue to be ordered, they’re not completed, and I think a staggering number of them haven’t even been begun. That’s kind of crazy to me. Television and film — they actually will complete a project, or complete an entire season of television, before they start to market that season of television, before they start to figure out how it is they’re going to position it in the marketplace.”

Kirkman continued by saying it’s “absurd” that movies and television shows are produced further in advance than comic books, given the considerably lower lead time needed, budget requirements and number of people involved. So with Oblivion Song he bucked the trend, as he and De Felici were working on the series for more than a year before it was announced, with multiple issues already completed in advance of the book’s debut.

“That’s something that is absurd to me, because making a movie or a television show is vastly more expensive than making a comic book, and it’s extremely more complicated and takes a lot more moving parts,” Kirkman said. “I thought there was a tremendous opportunity in comics to actually produce a project in secret, work on it for a number of years, get a huge chunk of it done. I’m able to sit back and look at a year’s worth of Oblivion Song issues that are completed and in the can, and decide, ‘Oh, this story aspect from issue #4, I can use that in the marketing. I can take this art from issue #6 and use that here.'”

“It’s given us at Skybound an extreme amount of leeway into how we do this book; from our posters, to our ad campaign, we’ve done a lot of retailer outreach,” Kirkman continued. “We sent out a full trade paperback of #1 through #6 to all the direct market accounts, so that retailers have the first six issues to read before they even place an order. Numbers are starting to come in, and that seems to have been extremely successful. We’re very happy with where things are. If anything, I’ve just learned that taking time with a project and not rushing it to market is a winning formula.”

Oblivion Song #1 is scheduled to debut on March 7. The series stars an agent named Nathan Cole, who works to retrieve former residents of Philadelphia who have been left behind in an alternate dimension named Oblivion.
10 days ago
1/1/01

paw comments:  Pretty crazy that most solicited comics aren't done.  Makes it even more insane when comics fall so far behind.  I think I have 3 series**** that I'm waiting to be completed and they are all several months late.

Switch by Stjepan Sejic

Skybourne by Frank Cho

The Dead and The Dying by Jonathan Hickman

10 days ago
3/7/05
It does suck when you start to like a book and then it doesn't come out for a year or so. Then you lose track, forget about it.

I have read the first bit of Oblivion Song, it's really good.
10 days ago
1/1/01

I hope they, whoever that may be, gets Invincible right.  If done right it could be a bigger franchise than Deadpool in the rated R slot.

10 days ago
10/27/05
paw - 

paw comments:  Pretty crazy that most solicited comics aren't done.  Makes it even more insane when comics fall so far behind.  I think I have 3 series**** that I'm waiting to be completed and they are all several months late.

Switch by Stjepan Sejic

Skybourne by Frank Cho

I picked up a signed Frank Cho copy of Skybourne #1 recently for cheap. Just bought it because I like Cho's work.

9 days ago
1/1/01
Thage - 
paw - 

Switch by Stjepan Sejic

Skybourne by Frank Cho

I picked up a signed Frank Cho copy of Skybourne #1 recently for cheap. Just bought it because I like Cho's work.

No doubt about it, Cho can draw.

9 days ago
3/7/05
Skybourne was fun, of course it comes one what, once a year?
7 days ago
3/7/05
Hilarious I say that and the last issue of Skybourne came out the same day.
7 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - Hilarious I say that and the last issue of Skybourne came out the same day.

Really?  I'll finally get to read the end of the story!  Hurray!!

4 days ago
3/7/05
paw - 
BigWilliam - Hilarious I say that and the last issue of Skybourne came out the same day.

Yeah what was it, 5 issues published at the blistering rate of once every 6 months?
4 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - 
paw - 

Yeah what was it, 5 issues published at the blistering rate of once every 6 months?

LOL.

I want to say it was normal for 1, 2 and maybe issue 3.  Then there was a huge gap...and then a year plus before issue #5.

I'm glad I read the ending...but having to wait that long takes the whole series down a few notches for me.

4 days ago
3/7/05
paw - 
BigWilliam - 
paw - 

LOL.

I want to say it was normal for 1, 2 and maybe issue 3.  Then there was a huge gap...and then a year plus before issue #5.

I'm glad I read the ending...but having to wait that long takes the whole series down a few notches for me.

You kind of lose the thread of the story and any investment in it. You spend half the new issue thinking, why did that matter?
4 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - 
paw - 
BigWilliam - 
paw - 

LOL.

You kind of lose the thread of the story and any investment in it. You spend half the new issue thinking, why did that matter?

Yes.  Exactly!