OtherGround Forums 21 yo dude DEAD from FLU

4 days ago
11/21/05

But dem flew shotz done gave dem kidz the awetism!!

Kyler Baughman seemed to be the face of fitness.

The aspiring personal trainer filled his Facebook page with photos of himself riding motorbikes and lifting weights. The 21-year-old once posted an image of a kettlebell with a skeleton, reading: “CrossFit, hard to kill.”

So when he came down with the flu, his mother said, he possibly assumed he simply needed rest.

“I think he thought, ‘I just got the flu; I’ll be all right,’ ” his mother, Beverly Baughman, told NBC affiliate WPXI.

But days after Christmas, Kyler Baughman was worse — coughing and running a fever, his family told the station.

They said he went to a nearby hospital, in western Pennsylvania — and, from there, was flown to UPMC Presbyterian in Pittsburgh.

Soon after, on Dec. 28, he died of “organ failure due to septic shock caused by influenza,” his mother told WPXI.

Kyler Baughman, from Latrobe, had gone home for the holidays with “a snotty nose,” his mother recalled in an interview earlier this week with WPXI.

“We saw him the 23rd for our family Christmas get-together and we noticed he wasn’t feeling well,” Beverly Baughman told the news station.

The day after Christmas, Kyler Baughman went back to work — he earned a living as a mover at a local furniture store and as an unloader at Walmart, according to his social media accounts.

But he could not make it through the day.

Olivia Marcanio, who was identified by WPXI as Baughman's fiancee, declined to comment to The Washington Post, but told the station that Kyler “just laid down and went about his day, and that was the day he was coughing and said his chest hurt. He had a mild cough.”

Now — not even two weeks after his death — his mother said: “It doesn’t seem real.”8

4 days ago
11/21/05

Each year, as many as 650,000 people die from respiratory illnesses related to influenza — an increase from the previous decade, when that number was 250,000 to 500,000, according to recent data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization.

“These figures indicate the high burden of influenza and its substantial social and economic cost to the world,” Peter Salama, executive director of WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme, said last month. “They highlight the importance of influenza prevention for seasonal epidemics, as well as preparedness for pandemics.”

However, according to the CDC, “most people who get influenza will recover in several days to less than two weeks.” Complications range from sinus and other infections to pneumonia and organ failure.

The CDC reported that 6 percent of deaths in the United States during the week of Nov. 5 resulted from complications from pneumonia and influenza. 2:38

4 days ago
11/21/05

Kyler Baughman's family told WPXI that they do not believe he got a flu shot this year.

Then, when he got sick, “I just think he ignored it and thought it’d go away like most people,” his mother told the station.

According to his obituary, he enjoyed “motocross, reading, and going to the gym.”

That’s one reason his family wants to send this message to others: Listen to your body.

“Try and know your body. Don’t let things go,” Kyler Baughman’s father, Todd, told WPXI through tears. “Whenever you have a fever for multiple days, don’t let it go, get it taken care of.”

4 days ago
11/21/05

FRAT: Healthy kid died from organ failure due to the Flu.

Get a flu shot.

4 days ago
1/1/01
WRONG FORUM ASSHOLE
4 days ago
11/21/05
OldSchoolMike - WRONG FORUM ASSHOLE

WATCH IT, MIKEY!!!

4 days ago
11/3/15

Seems like almost everyone I knew has caught the flu this year. I'm 40 and have had the flu and vever had the flu vaccine since I was a child.

4 days ago
1/1/01
dhughes - 

Get a flu shot.

I did.

I also got the flu.

More important than getting a flu shot is recognizing your symptoms and seeing a doctor before things get out of control.

It's sad that this kid died, but he ignored the symptoms and continued on like business as usual.

4 days ago
11/9/17
dhughes - 

Get a flu shot.

Get a flu shot is the answer eh? How about seek treatment as an illness sets in?

4 days ago
6/27/09
Fuck the flu shot
4 days ago
9/23/07
I got a flu shot for the first time ever this year and then immediately got a cold or flu thing for a couple weeks.
4 days ago
4/13/06
the flu shot can't possibly stop every strain of flu....its still a good idea

who here hasn't fought through a bout of the flu? that's scary...seemingly random....and I hope it never happens to my sons
4 days ago
3/14/12

Just reading the news that a healthy 18 year old girl in Scotland has caught flu and died as a result...... there’s an epidemic here in the uk at the moment

4 days ago
6/7/05
Some people just get really unlucky when it comes to the flu, it just seems to randomly kill someone it seems like it shouldn't every once in a while. It's also hard to know if this kid had anything else weird going on with him or was doing or eating anything weird leading up to it. "Get a flu shot" isn't going to stop this kind of thing.
4 days ago
9/5/12
FETT_Loadin76_TFK - Fuck the flu shot
This.
4 days ago
8/6/06

Fuck, I hate getting sick. I hope I don't get the flu. I have a pretty good immune system, so I rarely get sick, but I'm not sure that has anything to do with the flu. Seems just more like luck that I haven't had the flu in about 8 years. I have chronic saliva stones, though. I usually pass them, with some discomfort, but overall not that big of an issue. In like 2014, one of them got stuck for 10 days. 2 days in, the thing became infected, and the next 5 days were spent in sheer agony. It was like a terrible flu, full body aches, constant fever, can't eat, puking. That definitely felt like I was dying. I went to the doctor and got antibiotics. He shoulda gone to the doctor.

4 days ago
11/21/05
Paramount Donkey -
FETT_Loadin76_TFK - Fuck the flu shot
This.

I’ve got no problem with this. Just stay home for the next 4 months and don’t go anywhere near other people. Simple. 

4 days ago
9/24/12

Fact flu shots are at best a guess of what strain will be spread from year to year, most times they’re off. 

Fuck the flu shot. 

4 days ago
10/22/14

Just to put into perspective.

650,000 people die from influenza and pneumonia(not all pneumonia is caused by the flu so its actually much less than 650,000) every year

18,000,000 people die from heart disease.

So you're 28 times more likely to die from heart disease.

So how well do you eat? Is your diet mostly real food? Are you overweight? Do you have high blood pressure? Are you stressed? 

Stop worrying about the flu, don't worry about muslims and terrorists, don't worry about carrying a gun and people robbing you.

Take care of your body, eat well, eat real food, get rid of the stress in your life, lose weight, exercise. You will live wayyyyyyyyyy longer than taking a stupid flu shot filled with toxic mercury. 

4 days ago
1/1/01
"When I get back from my Flat Earth Society meeting, I am going to learn you about vaxxes and sciences, Hitler!" - Libtards
Edited: 4 days ago
11/20/14

He probably over trained an didn't allow his body to recover properly, which then makes it difficult for the body to properly fight an illness.

For quite a while, my routine included lifting 5 times a week, followed by running, and karate class 4 nights a week.  It got to a point where I was seriously asking myself what I was doing.  Like, wtf, I'm not trying to get in the olympics or anything.

Then, one time I managed to pick up a simple cold and it took 2-3 times the amount of time to get through it and recover than it usually should or would .  I had a few other things that happened and when I started looking into it, I found out that the over training was 99.9% the issue.  I was driving my body too hard, too often without proper time to recover.

When I saw that article, I immediately thought that maybe he did the same thing to himself but got a flu, rather than just a cold.  He probably got sick and, being young and in shape thought he could just go about his routine and tough it out, only to find out too late that he couldn't.

4 days ago
11/21/05
ausgepicht - "When I get back from my Flat Earth Society meeting, I am going to learn you about vaxxes and sciences, Hitler!" - Libtards

Lol wtf? This guy’s a loon!

4 days ago
1/23/06
WASH YOUR HANDS YOU FILTHY FUCKS
4 days ago
3/1/12
My daughter and I both have the flu at the moment. She is taking tamiflu and I opted not to because it's expensive and from what I've read it just helps you get over it about 2 days early. That said I've taken off work all week and have been dating as much as possible and taking time to recover. I feel most people that die from the flu usually over do it or just don't take care of themselves.
4 days ago
1/1/01
dhughes - 
ausgepicht - "When I get back from my Flat Earth Society meeting, I am going to learn you about vaxxes and sciences, Hitler!" - Libtards

Lol wtf? This guy’s a loon!

No one likes a crybaby mod. And you care, because your posting about what I said, libtard.