OtherGround Forums Are Rottweilers as dangerous as pit bulls?

8 days ago
1/1/01
Are Rottweilers as dangerous as American pit bull terriers?

Seems like there are endless cases of pit bulls attacking dogs, animals, children and people. And most noticably not letting go of the bite. Do Rottweilers behave similarly?
8 days ago
2/1/08
While they don't lock on I have found Rots are more likely to bite in general
8 days ago
8/15/14

My wifes cousins parents have two rescues. They killed a cat last year, and just yesterday killed a newly introduced puppy. I'd say, blame the owners. You have to be alpha to get such a dog.

8 days ago
1/1/01
I could actually ask the same about Dobermans.
8 days ago
1/23/06
Yes. Rotts are likely more rare than pitbulls why you see less stories. Pitbulls have to be one of the most bred dogs
8 days ago
12/16/11

No, they are confident dogs, they will fuck you up but their nature is a lot different.

I have Johnson-Scot mix American bulldogsand they are confused with pits a lot, but the larger the dog the more confident they seem to be, you can bait mu dogs into aggression but itvtakes a ton and they rarely bark.

8 days ago
12/16/11
GOAT St. Pierre - Yes. Rotts are likely more rare than pitbulls why you see less stories. Pitbulls have to be one of the most bred dogs

Yep and millions of mutts are called "pit mix" which translates to pitbull on the news.

8 days ago
2/25/06

I have been around a few Rottys and dont get the same feeling around them as I do with Pits. I have seen Pits snap and fuck anything up including their owner, Rottys are like an angry retard, very strong but dumb as shit and can get intimidated if you are confident.

8 days ago
4/13/06
jonpall - I could actually ask the same about Dobermans.

the pitbulls of the 70s and 80s?
8 days ago
12/16/11
player101 -

I have been around a few Rottys and dont get the same feeling around them as I do with Pits. I have seen Pits snap and fuck anything up including their owner, Rottys are like an angry retard, very strong but dumb as shit and can get intimidated if you are confident.

Rottweilers are smart as fuck brother.

8 days ago
2/25/06
trobinson21 -
player101 -

Not the ones I have been around. Granted, I have only been around 2 of them for an extensive period. They were dumb as fuck.

8 days ago
3/9/13

Yea rotties are some of the smartest dogs actually. 

Edited: 8 days ago
12/16/11
player101 -
trobinson21 -
player101 -

Not the ones I have been around. Granted, I have only been around 2 of them for an extensive period. They were dumb as fuck.

Lol roger that.

They were the 9th smartest breed but the use "train ability" as a measure and you can train a Rott to go to work for you if you want to. Lol

You want to see a stupid dog, that retard on the left here could star in Dumb n Dumberer 3.

8 days ago
12/12/16
Caladan -

Yea rotties are some of the smartest dogs actually. 

This. Extremely smart and loyal. But as posted before you have to know how to own them as any large dominant breed. Socialize at an early age.

8 days ago
2/23/05
I had a Doberman for 10 years. So smart and friendly it was almost silly. I had a Rottie for about 6 months. Goofy, not very smart (or at least not a good listener/learner but definitely not unfriendly.

The main difference between Rotties, Dobie's and Pits are that Rotties and Dobies have been bred for generations to be GUARD dogs

Pits have been bred for generations to KILL

There's a difference. If you're unsure of exactly what that is think about the difference between a Mall Cop and an Axe Murderer
8 days ago
10/10/02
Mywife was vomittingcaiseshedu -

My wifes cousins parents have two rescues. They killed a cat last year, and just yesterday killed a newly introduced puppy. I'd say, blame the owners. You have to be alpha to get such a dog.

Now you know why they were rescues. Killing cats and puppies, sound like a wonderful pair that needs to be put down. Rotts aren't game bred hunting dogs.

8 days ago
8/29/08
Im couple years I on my second rotwieller first one died of old age.They are smart and listen well but you need to teach them who's boss from when they are a puppy.At least thats what we did.They have never growled or raised a lip at anyone that have came into my home.
8 days ago
7/15/04
8 days ago
1/1/01
I have had two dogs, a Rottweiler and a rat terrier. Of the two, the rat terrier is the only one that would bite. I tried very hard to socialize that dog and give it confidence so it would not be insecure, but it just seems to be their nature. The Rottie, on the other hand, was the gentlest, sweetest, most obedient dog you could imagine.
8 days ago
2/19/12

Every Rottie I have been around has been awesome, always wanted one but could never afford it, ended up getting a half rott/gsd for 50 dollars, best dog I ever had

8 days ago
4/20/06
holly9000 - I had a Doberman for 10 years. So smart and friendly it was almost silly. I had a Rottie for about 6 months. Goofy, not very smart (or at least not a good listener/learner but definitely not unfriendly.

The main difference between Rotties, Dobie's and Pits are that Rotties and Dobies have been bred for generations to be GUARD dogs

Pits have been bred for generations to KILL

There's a difference. If you're unsure of exactly what that is think about the difference between a Mall Cop and an Axe Murderer

That's a good analogy. Pitts definitely can do more damage with their bites but rotties and dobermans have always looked the scariest to me. 

8 days ago
1/1/01
Thanks.
8 days ago
12/16/11
ghost of KVR -

Every Rottie I have been around has been awesome, always wanted one but could never afford it, ended up getting a half rott/gsd for 50 dollars, best dog I ever had

He looks like an awesome dog!!! 

8 days ago
12/17/11
Rotties have the scariest growl out of the bunch for sure
8 days ago
9/26/10
I've always wanted a dobie. Have met 2 and they were the friendliest most mild mannered dogs I've ever encountered. All anecdotal, of course.

In hs, one of my friends older brothers had a rottweiler that I wrestled with hard, all the time
He fought like hell but never a scratch or a bite