OtherGround Forums Do you spank your children? Yay or Nay?

7 days ago
6/1/16

Title. 

7 days ago
1/1/01
No, I put in time and effort to teach them proper behaviour.

I can't speak for what works for other kids, but I believe in teaching by example. They're not allowed to hit other kids unless hit first. What do I teach them if I don't follow that rule myself?
7 days ago
1/1/01
I sure as shit did.

Not at the drop of a hat, mind you, but sometimes the only thing a kid is gonna listen to is an ass whoopin'.
7 days ago
7/1/09
ziggystardust - No, I put in time and effort to teach them proper behaviour.

I can't speak for what works for other kids, but I believe in teaching by example. They're not allowed to hit other kids unless hit first. What do I teach them if I don't follow that rule myself?

Spanking is not hitting. There is a huge difference.

7 days ago
1/6/10

no, if yiu do you're a pussy and it's the easy route

7 days ago
5/7/08
FaceToFace -

No there isn't, and especially not in the kid's mind

So no, obviously I don't spank my kid. I've never even come close to the point where I couldn't control my child with other means
7 days ago
1/1/01
MayorPickle -
FaceToFace -

So no, obviously I don't spank my kid. I've never even come close to the point where I couldn't control my child with other means
Agree. Difference, sure. But I don't think most kids necessarily agree it's huge.

Regardless, you're teaching getting physical as a conflict resolution. I don't think that's a good lesson.

I also think way too many people use it as a quick fix instead of trying to understand why the kid misbehaves.
7 days ago
6/1/16
ziggystardust -
MayorPickle -
FaceToFace -

Agree. Difference, sure. But I don't think most kids necessarily agree it's huge.

Regardless, you're teaching getting physical as a conflict resolution. I don't think that's a good lesson.

I also think way too many people use it as a quick fix instead of trying to understand why the kid misbehaves.

Never though? 

Cmon, a little hand slap never hurt nobody. Kids be stoopid sometimes namean? 

7 days ago
1/1/01
I don't spank anybody but my gf, but she's asking for it.
7 days ago
10/13/02

1000% yes! I did it when they were young now I don't have to. I would prob went to jail in this pussified society for sure. I love my kids more than anything. That's why I did it, need to correct them. It works great, most all of us have college bound well behaved good kids. All of us spank our kids in my inner circle.

7 days ago
5/7/08
bjtrashman -
ziggystardust -
MayorPickle -
FaceToFace -

Never though? 

Cmon, a little hand slap never hurt nobody. Kids be stoopid sometimes namean? 

Of course kids act out. There are a million ways to deal with things rather than putting your hands on them though
7 days ago
6/5/02

I was spanked - turned out fine. My sister was spnked - turned out to be a cunt

We didn't spank our eldest but our middle one is a nightmare and so we started spanking him but I genuinely don't think it does anything more so than shouting at him to punish him.

So I've stopped as I genuinely don't think it had any incremental impact.

7 days ago
2/23/05
All you pussified non spankers are the reason the world is so fucked up. Kids need a good beating now and then, hell they EXPECT it. When you deny them this simple yet beautiful parental connection they invariably grow up WANTING and DEPRESSED. They will think you never really loved them (maybe that's true). This leads to morbid obesity. Look around you. See all the FAT kids? That's on you
7 days ago
4/18/17
Be warned that all of these forums are filled with trolls. I 100% guarantee that anyone who calls you a pussy and says you just aren't a good enough parent is a troll (and does not have kids). I have grown weary of going to a web forum to get other people's thoughts, too many trolls.
7 days ago
2/23/05
Evolution03 - Be warned that all of these forums are filled with trolls. I 100% guarantee that anyone who calls you a pussy and says you just aren't a good enough parent is a troll (and does not have kids). I have grown weary of going to a web forum to get other people's thoughts, too many trolls.

They are not you pussy
7 days ago
7/2/15

Dont have kids but Every beating I got as a kid, I sure as hell deserved it.(example: lit the newspaper on fire while my dad was reading an article in it about a massive forrest fire)

7 days ago
8/27/08

No. If you parent properly you don't have to abuse your kids. 

7 days ago
12/13/15

You tell your kids to let other kids hit them first?
I definitely spank my kids. If other children try to pick on my kids or other kids, I tell them to knock the fuck out of them.
I remember twice in my childhood there were horible bullies that got their ass kicked and it totally changed their behavior. They instantly turned into cool dudes.
7 days ago
4/11/10

I only swatted my son on the ass once. He was throwing a fit and while I was talking to him, he punched me in the balls. I swatted him on the ass quickly but not hard. Asked him if he liked being hit, he said no, calmed down, and we proceeded with the evening after we talked. It wasn't that it hurt, cause it was light, but that it shocked him. This was about seven years ago and stopped the hitting out of anger. 

7 days ago
5/11/08
There's absolutely no way I could ever hit either of my daughters. It would fucking crush me.
7 days ago
11/17/10

I got spanked when i was a kid by my parents

Spanked his butt once when he was 18 mos old when he ran into the street.  He didnt even see me spank him.

It completely jolted and startled him, and he never ran into the street again.  It was more of an associative corrective measure since you couldnt really talk sense to a little 18 mo old caveman

Other than that, i never spank or hit

7 days ago
1/1/01

I have amazing kids. Much better People than I was at every stage (they turn 19 in December) of their lives. I got spanked / hit as a kid. They didn't. Imo it is 100% unnecessary.

7 days ago
6/10/08

I do not.

I have a 4 year old little girl and as much as Id like to smack her ass I could never do it. She had such a hard time getting into this world, getting healthy, hospitals, surgeries, etc. I could never do it and not feel like a POS.

My son is just 5 months so he doesnt piss me off yet.

My dad spanked. A lot. And yelled. A lot. Now my brother and I turned out pretty well, but Im not going that route. I used to have nightmares about my dad yelling. Now I do yell on occasion but thats my last resort. Usually works. So I will do my best to discipline without hitting. Now if you choose to thats your business. My good friends spank the shit out of their kids (most deserve it the little fuckers), I dont judge.

Im also curious about a correlation of parents that DONT spank their kids and have trained a martial art/combat sport. Would be an interesting study.

7 days ago
7/1/09
MayorPickle -
FaceToFace -

Yes there absolutely is if done properly. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Proper spanking is not hitting nor is it abuse.

7 days ago
10/5/12

I don't spank.

I know some parents that are very disciplined in how they administer it (not while angry, no implements like a belt etc) and if you use spanking, that's the way to go.

I just don't see the point in hitting kids.

I'm sure there's going to be stories of how "in our day, we got the belt" but that's not necessarily a good thing.  It doesn't make a 3 year old tougher when you spank them.