OtherGround Forums Edc Backpack advice? Considering 5.11 Rush12 or 24

8/5/14 8:56 AM
2/3/12
OG bros. anyone have experience with these two packs?

I'm Looking for a tactical style pack for urban edc that will be durable, to replace a POS expensive Targus pack that is shredded after just 9 months.

I Like the idea of the black rush 12 for edc to work/gym, but think i need the bigger 24 for travelling home each weekend, carrying groceries (big city, lots of walking and public transport involved) etc.

So I guess priorities are toughness/quality, practical size and lastly looks ok/not too dorky.

Seeking recommendations as can't "test" any here, shops just seem to stock berghaus/north face etc which seem too flimsy for the price.

Big thanks.
8/5/14 9:00 AM
4/21/10
. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 9:02 AM
7/29/04
I use the 24 for hunting and it's great lots of space and storage. Lots of uses for the molle webbing as well. Even mad a kydex sheath for a Ferber blade on the shoulder strap Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 9:04 AM
11/27/09
Kathmandu make real quality packs if you can get them where you are. I have a 75L (been around the world) a 30L and a 24L. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 9:48 AM
1/1/01
As much as I'm not a fan of 5.11, the packs are one thing they make that I DO like.

See if you can find a local police supply in the area (you don't need to be a piggy to shop there) so that you can see the sizes in person.

They tend to be BIG packs.

The 12 is going to be right for daily use and the gym, and the 24 good for trips. If I were you, I'd get the 12 and then a small rolling carry on for your weekend trips. Keep the pack on the front seat with your laptop, a notepad, camera and other travel items.

The rolling luggage would also work pretty well for the supermarket trips.

REI makes good shit, but he is looking for a tactical style pack. As great as the Traverse is, I don't think it fits the bill.
8/5/14 10:13 AM
3/23/07

Have you looked into the Kelty MAP 3500?

Map 3500
It's a pretty good pack. I think it's 500 denier on most of the pack with the bottom being 1000 denier, so it is pretty rugged (and a few ounces heavier than you might like because of it). They market it as a "72 hour pack", but for me it's more of a day pack. Comes in many color options, and you can get it from Amazon.

8/5/14 12:23 PM
2/3/12
Sagiv Lapkin - 

Have you looked into the Kelty MAP 3500?

Map 3500
It's a pretty good pack. I think it's 500 denier on most of the pack with the bottom being 1000 denier, so it is pretty rugged (and a few ounces heavier than you might like because of it). They market it as a "72 hour pack", but for me it's more of a day pack. Comes in many color options, and you can get it from Amazon.

Thanks man. Looks like a good one. I'll check it out.

Thanks to everyone above too. Going to come back daily and vu everyone for their advices
8/5/14 12:27 PM
9/29/02

I really dislike the tacticool gear. It just stands out too much. Can you get 5.11 in black without the MOLLE?

8/5/14 12:27 PM
2/3/12
Gforce - As much as I'm not a fan of 5.11, the packs are one thing they make that I DO like.

See if you can find a local police supply in the area (you don't need to be a piggy to shop there) so that you can see the sizes in person.

They tend to be BIG packs.

The 12 is going to be right for daily use and the gym, and the 24 good for trips. If I were you, I'd get the 12 and then a small rolling carry on for your weekend trips. Keep the pack on the front seat with your laptop, a notepad, camera and other travel items.

The rolling luggage would also work pretty well for the supermarket trips.

REI makes good shit, but he is looking for a tactical style pack. As great as the Traverse is, I don't think it fits the bill.

Thiis is Quality advice. Thanks a lot brother, I'll get to you with a vote up.
8/5/14 8:55 PM
2/3/12
8/5/14 9:04 PM
6/21/06
Philip Proctor -

I really dislike the tacticool gear. It just stands out too much. Can you get 5.11 in black without the MOLLE?

Came here to say this. There's cops and others who might want to seize your gear. You need to come off as a liberal homo tree hugger animal lover type. REI sounds about right. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 9:49 PM
12/18/03
I have the Rush 24 and I love it.

It's one of the best purchases I have ever made. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 10:21 PM
2/25/12
. Phone Post 3.0
8/5/14 10:29 PM
2/18/09
Grey Ghost Gear "Stealth Operator Pack" or "Lightweight Assault Pack," MSM "Adapt Pack" are all great packs that run around $100-$120, and are perfectly sized for an edc pack imo.

I was going to buy one of those 3 for my edc bag about a month ago, but ended up going with a Marine Corps ILBE assault pack. It's about the same size, but not quite as cool/nice as the others. I went with the USMC assault pack because it came with a complete ILBE ruck for $94.00, and I needed a new ruck anyway. For the money, there is nothing out there that comes close to the ILBE system. Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 3:02 AM
2/3/12
antifret - 
Philip Proctor -

Came here to say this. There's cops and others who might want to seize your gear. You need to come off as a liberal homo tree hugger animal lover type. REI sounds about right. Phone Post 3.0

Hmmm. good point on the cops bit. Reading the og i note the police can be quite 'enthusiastic' in the states. Hopefully not so much be here in Europa. But I can see that could apply though at airports here and when wearing normal clothes not my work clothes.

But i dont want to have to come off as a liberal homo everyday! ..... the dilemma. At least in all black it not too ott military/attention grabbing. 5.11 make a Covert range which look more like normal campus style backpacks.... for when your being covert, but they just don't appeal like the Rush series. Thanks man.
8/6/14 3:19 AM
2/3/12
MarsMan - I have the Rush 24 and I love it.

It's one of the best purchases I have ever made. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks Mars. Will get to u with a vu in due course.

Couple of questions if you have a minute? when half packed and on ur back, roughly how far does it extend out backwards. Im constantly accidentally cold clocking people on plain, train, bus anywhere if im not careful or paying attention or packed into a standing room only packed tin can carriage or bus .... as my current one stretches out so far and with my height is a recipe for disaster. Drives the wife nuts, and is pretty dickish albeit entirely accidental.

How tall are you? Ive seen a review of the 12, but reckon at 6'3" the 24 is a feasible option and wont be too big as an edc pack walking around

Have you added any Molle or other additions?

Do you just take it basically truck to office to home etc or wear it for long periods in urban or outdoors settings?

Thank heaps.

8/6/14 11:04 AM
12/18/03
Joey,

I think the 24 is a good compromise between size and capacity..even more so if you are 6'3".

It extends about 25cm (not fully loaded but still with a lot of stuff in it), so you have to be mindful of your personal space when in a crowd, but it's not huge by any means....I didn't add any MOLLE extensions (although I do have a MOLLE first aid kit that I keep inside).

Before I bought mine I saw a review on youtube where the guy shows all the stuff that he can fit in it and how the pockets help keep things organized...I don't remember which one I saw but there are quite a few of them there.

8/6/14 11:08 AM
9/14/12
I love my rush 72! Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 12:01 PM
2/3/12
MarsMan - Joey,

I think the 24 is a good compromise between size and capacity..even more so if you are 6'3".

It extends about 25cm (not fully loaded but still with a lot of stuff in it), so you have to be mindful of your personal space when in a crowd, but it's not huge by any means....I didn't add any MOLLE extensions (although I do have a MOLLE first aid kit that I keep inside).

Before I bought mine I saw a review on youtube where the guy shows all the stuff that he can fit in it and how the pockets help keep things organized...I don't remember which one I saw but there are quite a few of them there.

Hey Mars, Thanks a lot man for coming back with answers.

Thats all really helpful. I think you've sold me on the 24. I think its about 150usd on amazon shipped from Germania.

Yep i saw a few youtube reviews but a little hard to scale size from them. 25 cm sounds better than my current pos pack.

Im getting it for its practicality and durability, but just a small cosmetic thing i like is the velcro for morale patches. Going to pick up a blacked out flag for it.

Thanks dude. Still waiting for my damn vu's to recharge.
8/6/14 1:03 PM
12/18/03
^
Glad to help man...

I have a blacked out flag of my state on mine.
8/6/14 1:49 PM
5/18/12
Check out the Vanquest trident. It has great organization.
http://www.vanquest.com/categories/backpacks.html Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 2:47 PM
12/18/03
SealTeam69 - Check out the Vanquest trident. It has great organization.

Oh man, why did you have to post that?

Now I want one too!
8/6/14 3:38 PM
1/1/01
Phone Post 3.0
8/6/14 5:48 PM
2/3/12
MarsMan - 
SealTeam69 - Check out the Vanquest trident. It has great organization.

Oh man, why did you have to post that?

Now I want one too!

Wow, nice. Thanks SealTeam.

You have one? Any thoughts?

Looks like a contender. SCIENCE cocksuckas!

https://m.soundcloud.com/powerfuljre/get-your-freak-on-thats-the
8/6/14 5:53 PM
2/21/06
ebersol….