OtherGround Forums Flipping your bat in Baseball....

5/18/17 1:26 PM
7/26/07
Is the equivalent of holding a submission too long in MMA

Douchebag zone
5/18/17 1:35 PM
2/4/11

completely disagree.

holding a submission too long can cause real physical damage.  bat flipping causes no damage to anyone (maybe except hurt feelings).

i am biased though.  i'm korean.  bat flipping is a big part of our baseball culture and it is not seen as an insult.

5/18/17 1:35 PM
6/1/10

you can do it, but you better be prepared to get plunked the next time up or the next batter up will. All it would take would be a Nolan Ryan/Robyn Ventura situation to sort that shit out.

I am friends with Brad Radke who pitched for the Twins for over a decade.  He said when guys pulled shit like that, the next batter up knew he was going to get plunked, esp in the minor leagues. 

Both pitcher and hitter would look at each other with resignation, lol.

5/18/17 1:37 PM
7/26/07
If you didn't see it, Jose Bautista flipped his bat again against the Braves and the benches cleared.

It's a D-Bag move in baseball. Completely disrespectful imo, but then I'm a baseball purist. I believe in the unwritten codes in baseball.

They were losing by 5 runs when he did it, BTW

Someone needs to punch that guy in the beard again
5/18/17 1:38 PM
11/11/13
UGCTT_mojodmonky -

completely disagree.

holding a submission too long can cause real physical damage.  bat flipping causes no damage to anyone (maybe except hurt feelings).

i am biased though.  i'm korean.  bat flipping is a big part of our baseball culture and it is not seen as an insult.

Agree with the above. 

* Note * - I am not Korean, as I have a massive dong.

Edited: 5/18/17 1:41 PM
11/11/13
Chimonos Revenge - If you didn"t see it, Jose Bautista flipped his bat again against the Braves and the benches cleared.

It"s a D-Bag move in baseball. Completely disrespectful imo, but then I"m a baseball purist. I believe in the unwritten codes in baseball.

That terrorist looking bastard that knocked Bautista silly (Roughned Odor) is one of the biggest bat flippers in baseball.

5/18/17 1:41 PM
6/1/10
Chimonos Revenge - If you didn't see it, Jose Bautista flipped his bat again against the Braves and the benches cleared.

It's a D-Bag move in baseball. Completely disrespectful imo, but then I'm a baseball purist. I believe in the unwritten codes in baseball.

He needs to stop that shit, I would charge him too. 

Let him take an ass whoopin on national tv a few more times

5/18/17 1:43 PM
11/16/08

Edited: 5/18/17 1:44 PM
7/26/07

5/18/17 1:44 PM
11/29/11

If you hit a  home run you can do whatever the fuck you want you just made that pitcher your bitch 

5/18/17 1:45 PM
7/26/07
2breath2feel - 

If you hit a  home run you can do whatever the fuck you want you just made that pitcher your bitch 

Better expect to get drilled on your next at bat then
Edited: 5/18/17 1:47 PM
7/26/07
quiksilver101 - 
Chimonos Revenge - If you didn"t see it, Jose Bautista flipped his bat again against the Braves and the benches cleared.

It"s a D-Bag move in baseball. Completely disrespectful imo, but then I"m a baseball purist. I believe in the unwritten codes in baseball.

That terrorist looking bastard that knocked Bautista silly (Roughned Odor) is one of the biggest bat flippers in baseball.

Lol Bautista looks like a terrorist too

Looks like Al Qaeda wearing a BlueJays hat

Or

5/18/17 1:48 PM
9/29/10

Lol baseball can be so lame sometimes. I figure it's hard enough to hit a homer off of a pro - so why not bat flip if you crush one? If you get that pissed off then you're probably just a little bitch.

side note - unwritten rules and superstition is bullshit too

5/18/17 1:50 PM
11/11/13
Chimonos Revenge -
quiksilver101 - 

Lol Bautista looks like a terrorist too

Looks like Al Qaeda wearing a BlueJays hat

Or

Oh I agree.

Ugly looking fucks, the two of them. Not to mention between the two of them there ears have the wing span of a 747.

5/18/17 1:50 PM
10/15/13
Chimonos Revenge -

That was great as Bautista is a Grade A dick

5/18/17 1:52 PM
10/15/13

Huge fan of Ventura (when he was a Met) but this was such a huge mistake on his part lol

5/18/17 1:55 PM
7/26/07
Al Cappucino - 

Huge fan of Ventura (when he was a Met) but this was such a huge mistake on his part lol

Lol, I remember that.

It's like he ran directly into a headlock and got punched in the face for his effort
Edited: 5/18/17 1:58 PM
7/26/07

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/05/18/nl-home-run-leader-freddie-freeman-takes-pitch-to-the-hand-will-have-mri-exam/?utm_term=.2f115d276965.

MLB investigating Kevin Pillar’s outburst during eventful Blue Jays-Braves game

What didn’t happen during the Braves’ 8-4 win over the Blue Jays on Wednesday night?

To start, Braves first baseman and National League home run leader Freddie Freeman left the game in the fifth inning after he was hit on the left hand by a pitch from Blue Jays reliever Aaron Loup. X-rays taken at the ballpark were inconclusive, and Freeman will have an MRI exam and CT test done Thursday to determine the severity of the injury.

Freeman not only leads the NL in home runs with 14, but he ranks second in on-base percentage (.457), third in slugging percentage (.754), fifth in walks (26) and sixth in batting average (.343). The two-time all-star also suffered a right wrist injury in 2015 and needed multiple stints on the disabled list. Wednesday night’s injury was to the inside of Freeman’s left hand, just above the wrist.
“When the best hitter in the game goes out and he’s on our team, it really sucks,” Braves pitcher Mike Foltynewicz told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution after his team’s 8-4 victory.
No one on the Braves is saying Loup’s inside pitch was intentional, but that doesn’t mean the game didn’t generate any bad blood. After Atlanta’s Jason Motte struck out Blue Jays outfielder Kevin Pillar to end the seventh inning, Pillar appeared to direct a homosexual slur toward Motte because he felt he had been quick-pitched, causing both benches and bullpens to empty.

After the game, Pillar was apologetic and said he was merely frustrated at Toronto’s third straight loss to Atlanta.

“It was immature, it was stupid, it was uncalled for,” Pillar told the Toronto Sun. “It’s part of the game, it’s just I’m a competitive guy and (it was) heat of the moment.

“Obviously I’m going to do whatever I’ve got to do to reach out and apologize and let him know he didn’t do anything wrong. It was all me.”

Major League Baseball confirmed to USA Today on Thursday that it is investigating the Pillar incident as a possible violation of its workplace code of conduct.

The benches and bullpens weren’t done clearing. One inning after Pillar’s outburst and with his team down 8-3, Toronto’s Jose Bautista hit a solo home run and followed it with a stare-down of Braves pitcher Eric O’Flaherty and his trademark bat flip.

“That’s something making the game tough to watch,” O’Flaherty said via the AP. “It’s turned into look-at-me stuff. He hit a home run with [the Braves holding] a five-run lead and throws the bat around. I’m just tired of it. I’ve seen it from him enough.”

Bautista said the bat flip was somehow appropriate.

“I understand why (the Braves) would be upset in that situation and I just told them how I felt,” he told the Sun. “Basically just let them know that I wasn’t trying to show up anybody and hopefully it’s in the past. It has nothing to do with (frustration) but it was definitely not something that was fitting for the moment.”

The two teams finish their four-game home-and-home series Thursday night.
5/18/17 1:56 PM
6/9/16

I'll admit, when he flipped the bat after hitting the crucial dinger to help close out the playoff series against the Rangers in 2015, I thought that shit was cool.

But this is 2017 and Bautista is struggling to hit .200. Not only that, but the Jays have been getting their asses handed to them the entire series. Maybe Bautista thought such swagger would help inject some confidence and help turn things around. Final score: Atlanta 8, Toronto 4. 

5/18/17 1:59 PM
2/4/11
Chimonos Revenge -
2breath2feel - 

even if bat flipping is perceived to be disrespectful or insulting, its a bitch move to retaliate with physical harm.  its no different than someone trying to physically assaulting another person for calling them a bad name.

its even more of a bitch move if you're an AL pitcher who throws at a hitter when they dont have to step in the box.

(* i know it didnt happen on an intentional throw) but look at what happened to Freeman in the same game.  His MVP caliber season is getting derailed because he got plunked on the wrist.  What if that did happen on a payback bean ball?  Can you imagine the outrage?

5/18/17 2:04 PM
5/4/14
Chimonos Revenge - If you didn't see it, Jose Bautista flipped his bat again against the Braves and the benches cleared.

Last nights bat flip was stupid and selfish given the circumstances. That being said I had zero issue with his game winning bat flip in the playoffs last year. There is a big difference between the two in my opinion. 

I disagree with the comparison with the submission for the same reasons previously stated. 

5/18/17 2:04 PM
7/26/07
UGCTT_mojodmonky - 
Chimonos Revenge -
2breath2feel - 

even if bat flipping is perceived to be disrespectful or insulting, its a bitch move to retaliate with physical harm.  its no different than someone trying to physically assaulting another person for calling them a bad name.

its even more of a bitch move if you're an AL pitcher who throws at a hitter when they dont have to step in the box.

(* i know it didnt happen on an intentional throw) but look at what happened to Freeman in the same game.  His MVP caliber season is getting derailed because he got plunked on the wrist.  What if that did happen on a payback bean ball?  Can you imagine the outrage?

That's why the threat of being plunked, or having a team mate plunked, has been baseball's way of policing on field D-bag behavior like that over the years.

Since Baseball has cracked down on retaliatory beanings, I feel stuff like Bautista's behavior has increased.

Some people think it's great because it makes baseball more interesting, but for me it's just douchebag behavior and disrespectful to the game.
5/18/17 2:05 PM
1/1/01
Most of the bat flips look pretty stupid, but if a guy did this one, I'd be cool with it

5/18/17 2:07 PM
7/26/07
jkd_guy - Most of the bat flips look pretty stupid, but if a guy did this one, I'd be cool with it

Especially if he hit the ball doing it
5/18/17 2:07 PM
5/4/14
Chimonos Revenge -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/05/18/nl-home-run-leader-freddie-freeman-takes-pitch-to-the-hand-will-have-mri-exam/?utm_term=.2f115d276965.

MLB investigating Kevin Pillar’s outburst during eventful Blue Jays-Braves game

What didn’t happen during the Braves’ 8-4 win over the Blue Jays on Wednesday night?

To start, Braves first baseman and National League home run leader Freddie Freeman left the game in the fifth inning after he was hit on the left hand by a pitch from Blue Jays reliever Aaron Loup. X-rays taken at the ballpark were inconclusive, and Freeman will have an MRI exam and CT test done Thursday to determine the severity of the injury.

Freeman not only leads the NL in home runs with 14, but he ranks second in on-base percentage (.457), third in slugging percentage (.754), fifth in walks (26) and sixth in batting average (.343). The two-time all-star also suffered a right wrist injury in 2015 and needed multiple stints on the disabled list. Wednesday night’s injury was to the inside of Freeman’s left hand, just above the wrist.
“When the best hitter in the game goes out and he’s on our team, it really sucks,” Braves pitcher Mike Foltynewicz told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution after his team’s 8-4 victory.
No one on the Braves is saying Loup’s inside pitch was intentional, but that doesn’t mean the game didn’t generate any bad blood. After Atlanta’s Jason Motte struck out Blue Jays outfielder Kevin Pillar to end the seventh inning, Pillar appeared to direct a homosexual slur toward Motte because he felt he had been quick-pitched, causing both benches and bullpens to empty.

After the game, Pillar was apologetic and said he was merely frustrated at Toronto’s third straight loss to Atlanta.

“It was immature, it was stupid, it was uncalled for,” Pillar told the Toronto Sun. “It’s part of the game, it’s just I’m a competitive guy and (it was) heat of the moment.

“Obviously I’m going to do whatever I’ve got to do to reach out and apologize and let him know he didn’t do anything wrong. It was all me.”

Major League Baseball confirmed to USA Today on Thursday that it is investigating the Pillar incident as a possible violation of its workplace code of conduct.

The benches and bullpens weren’t done clearing. One inning after Pillar’s outburst and with his team down 8-3, Toronto’s Jose Bautista hit a solo home run and followed it with a stare-down of Braves pitcher Eric O’Flaherty and his trademark bat flip.

“That’s something making the game tough to watch,” O’Flaherty said via the AP. “It’s turned into look-at-me stuff. He hit a home run with [the Braves holding] a five-run lead and throws the bat around. I’m just tired of it. I’ve seen it from him enough.”

Bautista said the bat flip was somehow appropriate.

“I understand why (the Braves) would be upset in that situation and I just told them how I felt,” he told the Sun. “Basically just let them know that I wasn’t trying to show up anybody and hopefully it’s in the past. It has nothing to do with (frustration) but it was definitely not something that was fitting for the moment.”

The two teams finish their four-game home-and-home series Thursday night.

Although Pillar's actions after the strikeout were completely uncalled for he acknowledged it, took responsibility for it and admitted to handling it completely innapropriately. He also stated he would offer a sincere apology. I respect that.