OtherGround Forums Germany: The Rise of Islam

8 days ago
8/18/13

Germany: The Rise of Islam

8 days ago
8/18/13

A demographic decline is also involved in this religious crisis. "Christianity is literally dying in Europe," said Conrad Hackett, head of the researchers who drafted a Pew Forum report a few months ago. In Europe, between 2010 and 2015, Christian deaths outnumbered births by nearly 6 million. In Germany alone, there were about 1.4 million more Christian deaths.

This decline also apparent from the recruitment crisis for the priesthood. The official website of the German Catholic Church, noted in May that the dioceses of Osnabrück and Mainz did not receive any new priests this year. The archdiocese of Munich last year drew only one candidate. Throughout the Archdiocese of Munich today, there are only 37 seminarians in the various training stages, for about 1.7 million Catholics. In comparison, the American diocese of Lincoln, Nebraska, currently has 49 seminarians for about 96,000 Catholics. In the U.S., Christianity is strong; in Germany it is literally dying.

A German architect, Joaquim Reinig, told Die Tageszeitung that to integrate Muslim immigrants better, churches should be demolished and replaced with "highly visible mosques". It might sound a bit crazy, but it contains a dramatic truth. In his book The Last Days of Europe, the historian Walter Laqueur wrote that "Germany had some 700 little mosques and prayer rooms in the 1980s, but there are more than 2,500 at the present time". If, in Germany, Christianity is evaporating, Islam is proliferating.

The Turkish-Islamic Union for Religious Affairs (DITIB) just opened a new mega-mosque for worship in the German city of Cologne. The new German mega-mosque has a 1,200-person capacity and the tallest minaret of Europe. According to Deutsche Welle, "Christian leaders bristled at the idea of Cologne's famed Dom cathedral sharing the skyline with minarets". When the mosque was planned in 2007, a citizens' initiative was launched to say that "we want the cathedral here, not minarets". The Muslim authorities then announced the plan to "double" the number of mosques.

The new mega-mosque in Cologne, Germany has a 1,200-person capacity and the tallest minaret of Europe. (Image source: Raimond Spekking/Wikimedia Commons)

The Turkish authorities not only wanted to build a mega-mosque in the city hosting the largest cathedral of Germany, but these also had the sense of irony to commission architect Paul Böhm to design the mosque. Böhm's father and grandfather were in fact the two most radical and admired church architects of their generations. In the "new Germany", nobody had asked Böhm to design a new cathedral.

8 days ago
8/18/13

Since he took power in Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdogan has built 17,000 Islamic prayer sitesthere. The Turkish president is committed to the construction of mosques in European capitals as well. Turkey controls 900 mosques in Germany and feels free to say that a "liberal mosque" in Germany is "incompatible" with Islam, according to the daily Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. That is why the 57 percent of Germans fear the rise of Islam in their country.

When Chancellor Angela Merkel opened her country to mass migration in 2014, she apparently did not see any cultural problem in accepting more than another million Muslims.

In the words of Erdogan, however, "Our minarets are our bayonets, our domes are our helmets, our mosques are our barracks". Islamic regimes are, in fact, offering to fill the empty spaces in Germany's religious landscape. Saudi Arabia proposed building 200 new mosques in Germany, "one for every 100 refugees".

Can you imagine Germany offering Iraq, Syria and Egypt to build "200 new churches" to reconstruct the derelict and dispossessed Christian communities there? No, because in the Middle East, Christians have been eradicated in a forced de-Christianization. In Europe, Christians are also becoming extinct by a process of "self-secularization". We risk losing not only our churches, but more importantly, our cultural strength and even confidence in the values of our own civilization.

Giulio Meotti, Cultural Editor for Il Foglio, is an Italian journalist and author.

© 2017 Gatestone Institute. All rights reserved. The articles printed here do not necessarily reflect the views of the Editors or of Gatestone Institute. No part of the Gatestone website or any of its contents may be reproduced, copied or modified, without the prior written consent of Gatestone Institute.

8 days ago
11/5/03
Ttt
8 days ago
11/10/09

In the words of Erdogan, however, "Our minarets are our bayonets, our domes are our helmets, our mosques are our barracks".

This fucker thinks he's a rapper now too!

8 days ago
7/14/08

Believe in nothing, stand for nothing.

8 days ago
1/1/01

it's an interesting progression.  it shows that the liberal, post-modern, secularism is going the way of the dodo. atheism will probably be wiped out in the next few centuries as any countries that renounce their religions (buddhism, hinduism, christianity), will be overwhelmed by the tide of islam eventually.  

look at even in the states, harris, dawkins, paglia, etc have taken a backseat to victimization, with trans and islam at the top of the hierarchy.  as the jacobian reign of terror in france proved, movements against the norm will eventually turn on themselves, until an existing norm will fill the vacuum. 

christianity-liberalism-atheism-death or islam

christianity----------------------------------no islam

8 days ago
3/15/15
in
8 days ago
1/1/01
Germany sealed its fate already. Let this be a lesson. Japan and korea aren't pandering to the Muslim infiltration but everyone else seems to be
8 days ago
1/4/14
How else will we end Christian white supremacist rule in Germany?

(/sarcasm, for those that can't tell)
8 days ago
1/1/01
"Christians in Germany will become a minority in the next 20 years, according to Die Welt."

Because of the refugee influx?

"An estimate made in 2015 calculated that there are 4.4 to 4.7 million Muslims in Germany (5.4–5.7% of the population).[4] Of these, 1.9 million are German citizens (2.4%).[5] As of 2006, about 15,000 Muslims are converts of ethnic German ancestry."
8 days ago
8/14/17
This is why one should never feel afraid to be judged for their opinions. Germany knows exactly how much chaos they have invited onto themselves. People are crazy enough to call me a Nazi for my beliefs, I could only imagine how bad the pressure must be on the German populace.

They are ruining themselves in order to not be judged for their mistakes of the past. We are doing the same with a certain race in this country. I'm not saying start rounding people up but Jesus self preservation has to kick in eventually.

I feel sorry for the future generations of Germans that will have to deal with the consequences of the liberal state.
8 days ago
10/16/10
yusul - 

it's an interesting progression.  it shows that the liberal, post-modern, secularism is going the way of the dodo. atheism will probably be wiped out in the next few centuries as any countries that renounce their religions (buddhism, hinduism, christianity), will be overwhelmed by the tide of islam eventually.  

look at even in the states, harris, dawkins, paglia, etc have taken a backseat to victimization, with trans and islam at the top of the hierarchy.  as the jacobian reign of terror in france proved, movements against the norm will eventually turn on themselves, until an existing norm will fill the vacuum. 

Very well said. Not religious but I'm slowly coming to the same realization.
8 days ago
4/3/16
Who gives a fuck about religion anyway...
8 days ago
11/28/03

so ironic, coming from the country who tried to exterminate jews

8 days ago
6/5/03
snoggla - Who gives a fuck about religion anyway...
Go back to lurking.
Edited: 8 days ago
7/21/12
Scary shit. Eventually there will be a tipping point and its a bit frightening thinking about what would follow. It's not racist, nor does it make you a fucking nazi to want to preserve the face anf culture of your country. Of all people to import en mass, its shocking they picked the people most unlikely to ever integrate. It's so hilariously stupid that it has to be done on purpose, knowing full well what would happen. Look at how crimes such as rape have EXPLODED in European counties letting the....i mean literally paying them to be there.
8 days ago
1/1/01
Super lefty liberals can't see the danger ? Or what I just don't get that.
8 days ago
7/14/08
Stache -
yusul - 

Very well said. Not religious but I'm slowly coming to the same realization.

People are hardwired to believe in things. Even Dawkins talks about this. In Europe, Islam is rising and religious beliefs of non-Muslims are falling. If you believe in nationalism, you're a xenophobic/racist. So you have people who don't believe in their country, religion or anything else.

The Hard Left thinks the state can replace those things. Not the nation but the state apparatus. It can't because it's a fuck up. Environmentalists believe in their messianic "save the earf" stuff. But they are pacifists who will never breed or be in sufficient numbers to offset anything. 

So their hope is that their replacements will adapt to European style life and values. But that ain't gonna happen, either. Islam has a built in tripwire against apostasy. There will be quiet non-believers but the vocal believers will outnumber and silence them. 

8 days ago
7/14/08
rhino x2 - Super lefty liberals can't see the danger ? Or what I just don't get that.

The left sees the right against Muslims and thinks "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". They don't realize, to paraphrase Churchill, they would feed the crocodile in the hope it eats them last. 

8 days ago
1/1/01
All the world wars come out of Europe. But who knew that the 3rd would be imported?
8 days ago
6/24/16

I never thought I would ever have thought I wished Hitler was still alive. 

8 days ago
3/16/10

Germany is more worried about being labeled Nazis again I guess.

8 days ago
7/14/08
Banchan -
Letsputasmileonthatface -

I never thought I would ever have thought I wished Hitler was still alive. 

Hitler prefered Muslims to Jews tho

Hitler held Islam in high regard. He thought it was ingenious to combine religion with allegiance to state authority. He tried to emulate some of it in Germany.

The Man in the High Castle show has some examples of this in the weird state meeting halls that are converted churches. The writers took that from Nazi ideas. 

8 days ago
5/31/07
snoggla - Who gives a fuck about religion anyway...

Muslims. They give many, many fucks. All the fucks, in fact.