OtherGround Forums Hotel etiquette: how hotel workers wish you acted

Edited: 2/16/17 7:42 AM
9/19/14

I'm a front office supervisor at a hotel in a top 40 city with over 250 rooms. We have 2 hours of free booze and a free breakfast including omlettes, bacon, pancakes, etc. I've worked in hospitality for almost 3 years and in my short time I've almost seen it all. Trashed rooms, hookers, drugs, shootings, and of course race issues. So I decided to post this for others to tell you. It only ways to not be a dick, but also how to get things you want by staying at a hotel.

1) The front desk is your friend. And everything that goes right or wrong leads back to them.

It can be awesome working at the front desk. You meet really cool, funny people. You meet celebrities. You meet hot chicks. And you meet general cool people. A front desk agent has the job of being the first person you see when you walk in the door. We are asked to dress nice and have a smile. We are also the person that has to listen to you bitch about housekeeping, or that your room is to cold, or your breakfast experience was ruined because of the election(I actually had to answer a survey on this. Fucking dick gave us a 3/10 because trump won.)  We are also the people that can upgrade you because you made us laugh. Or because it's your birthday. Or cut your rate be a use a family member died. We can also put you In a  room that is next to the highway or make so you have to keep coming to the desk so your keys will work. The thing I hate most is when I'm having a shitty day being yelled at for not having 6 towels in a room is. So don't come to check in with an attitude because you are next to an elevator.  Treat the front desk person right and your stay will go well. I can be really bias at times to those that joke along with me at check in and try to give out free stuff or do free upgrades just for a person being cool when they walk in.

2) Tip housekeeper who give you good stay over service. Not only am I friends with housekeepers, I've also had to do stayovers and check outs. Cleaning after people fucking sucks. What can be worse is cleaning after someone coming back to the hotel. I've walked into rooms where people leave watches, money, jewelry, electronics, etc in the room and I always fear someone will lie and say I took something from them (I'll get into more of this later). aside from that in my hotel like I said there are 250 rooms and typically on a busy day when we are almost full one housekeeping could have to clean 30 rooms in less than 7 hours. That included me stay overs and people checking or. On top of even that, they are grossly underpaid. Be nice. Leave a dollar or two out with a note and not only will your housekeeping clean the shit out of your room, they'll ask to come back and do that room over and over. I had one housekeeper spent 30 minutes cleaning one of our two-room suites because they went and got extra sheets to make the kids bed into swans for them to come back to.

2/16/17 4:51 AM
6/15/04

Good post, OP! This holds true for many service-based employees who work hard and earn their pay as well.

2/16/17 4:59 AM
9/19/14

3) if something is wrong. Don't leave without giving the hotel a chance to fix it. Before I was a supervisor I was the driver/bellman that would take people to the airport after their stay. I would hear all the things that went wrong and I would ask the guest "did you tell anyone?" I got no a lot of the time. Now coming from management my first job is to make money. However , working at a HILTON property we have a standard to hold onto and those surveys get people fired LEGIT. So you may think giving an 7 or 8 on a survey is good, the GM is getting chewed out and mangers are getting write ups. I'm not saying if you had a good stay you HAVE to give a 9/10 or 5 stars. Not at all. But if things went great with the staff but the room was dated leave a comment on how great the staff was. At the same time point out a bad employee BY NAME. Saying "the person at the front desk" does jack shit. The reason I'm telling you to tell someone if something isn't right isn't so you can get a free stay (although their are buzz situations that when we hear it we will do that) but so that you legit have a great stay. We CAN fix shit. We CAN compsentate where we fucked up. We CAN offer goodies. But when I see a survey that gives us a 6,7, or 8 with no comments it pisses me off. I have no idea what we did wrong and can't possibly improve for the next guest.  This leases me to #4

4) don't be a dick or a smart ass on surveys. Quick story. We had a guest that lives in the area of the hotel stay with us. I mentioned earlier we have free booze for 2 hours. All my front desk agency's mention the times because it's a amentity exclusive to us. Along with free drinks we also offer we snacks. This guest checked in and said that they only neede one key because it was just them. They invited 30 people LEGIT to come to the hotel and get free drinks and snacks. We caught on an hour in and told the guest they could only have 4 people get free drinks (it should have just been one but whatever) they wrote in on a survey that our FREE snacks were terrible and that we made up the fact that they had a lot of people to cut them off from drinks. Also had a guest say our rooms "claimed to be suite but could only be described as sour" ( made me laugh the first time...at the 60th time it's not funny.  Don't be a wiseass. We do keep track of douchbags.

5) do the surveys. They can make or break people. I started off as a driver making $9.25. I make it my mission to believe every guest is a guest in my house. I bent over backwards for any and everyone. I had guest saying I was the best part of my stay and would tell management.....and then nothing. It made me not want to keep trying. Thankfully for every 10 guest that loved me 1 would do a survey and mention me by name. Within 6 months the CEO of the company emailed me stating how well I was doing and flew in just to see me. 2 months after that I got bumped to $12 and was featured I. The company sight. 4 months later I'm front office supervisor making $16 an hour and doing weekly meetings with the guys making a mili

2/16/17 5:21 AM
9/19/14

I went from a guy with a felony doing shit work to barely enough to get by. To being able to move my kids to the best school in the state and my wife got to stop working for 6 months to follow her dream(she just landed her dream job in January and make more money than me -_-) all this from people taking the time to recognize my hard work making them happy. I have one guest who stayed with us a few times in 2015 that liked me so much he changed the whole company of 30,000 employees travel plans to stay with us. He spends 200+ nights a week with me and is legit one of the biggest reasons for my raise. So he pays half the normal rate to stay with us. And even averages Joe's Who I remember giving me surveys get discounts and free upgrades. And it's not just me. I have other agents, or restaurant workers, and even housekeepers tell me an guest mentioned them so can they get something g extra. I grant it 90% of the time. I'm not saying to lie about having a great experience. But if you do mention it. It makes a difference. 

6) don't fucking trash rooms. I'll keep this quick. It maybe funny to you to throw confetti in a room, or to shit in the whirl pool (I'm not making that up....it's happen multiple times) but not only does it fuck withhousekeeping and  the front desk. It fucks with the next guest. ( I have a serious of pictures I'll upload with a story you have to hear) which leads to 

7) Check in time in not guareteed. So check in is at 3 and you booked a whirlpool suite. Guess what. It's not guranteed to be ready because joe son of a bitch thought It's funny to stuff the jets with lube. The front desk is already pissed, housekeeping is pissed, and here you are yelling at me. Can I tell you the room is covered in pizza sauce and cake? No!!! Am I sorry you had plans that are now fucked? YES!!! I'm a consumer too. Not saying you have to smile about your room being ready. But if you're not a dick about it and give housekeeping time to clean it right your room will look spotless (cause housekeeping feels bad) and you stay will be taking care of (reduced rate, free dinner or movie, or other goodies) the front desk will basically be your bitch the rest of the night. Chill the fuck out.

8) stop asking to speak to a manager. This is personal for me. All managers work in the mornings. It's a benefit of being a ducking manager. So jnstead of asking to see the general manager at 1am in a Saturday night comb your fucking beard and talk to the person in front of you. Even if they can't get you what you feel you actually want/deserve they don't want to be in the shift where shit went wrong. Tell them so when a manager does here the story they have all the facts and can get to you quickly. Also sometimes it pays to tell the lowly front desk person or housekeeper what's wrong because at my hotel even the guy skimming the pool can give you a free night without thinking about it. My manager happens to be one of my better friends so you comingmto the desk and not telling me your problem will lead me to telling him to tell you to fuck off. And HIS boss is under the guy that is the CEO who I have in my back pocket. So again stop with thinking a manager is going to fix everything.

9) WATCH YOUR FUCKING KIDS!!!! I'm not a fucking babysitter. And to others it's not my job to keep little bobby from running down the fucking halls or to keep Jamaal from pressing all the god damn elevator buttons. I'll do what I can but in a 250 hotel there can be 6 people to a room and only 10 employees. Fuck off thinking I can control 1k people.

Edited: 2/16/17 7:49 AM
9/19/14

10) bedbugs are a guest problem not a hotel problem. In 2 years I've 2 cases of bed bugs. They were close to each other and where both from guest coming from or from foreign countries. GUEST BRING IN BUGS. Ticks, fleas, roaches, are bought in by guest through travel, being nasty as fuck, or because its the season. Everytime you come to the desk and claim you had a bed bug there is a whole process my hotel goes through. To spare you the details it takes 3 weeks to go from " I had a bed bug to the room" to being used again. We hire people that cost the hotel A LOT of money to come in and "treat" the room. That fucks with food  of the mouths of housekeepers that make $8 an hour. Also google images is not fucking perfect. There are 6.3k types of insects that look like bedbugs but can be in the air when you walk in the door. Without an exact figure (which I could give out but eh fuck that) we've had around 150 cases of guest claiming bed bugs in my 2 years with only two cases actually being the case. And one of those guest were with us for 10 months straight. It cost a hotel anywhere from $300-$2500 to treat a ALLEGED case of bed bugs. Yes it can cost more than 20 nights of stays for someone bringing in a tick to the hotel. Now if you believe it's a bedbug.  DONT FUCKING YELL AT THE FRONT DESK! We take that shit serious and the last thing we want is you hoping on TripAdvisor saying we have bedbugs. 90% of the time we will take care of your rate once it's verified by our house experts that we need to call a professional. Now if our inhouse professional writes it off sorry (but they are paid more than anyone outside of the GM so there isnt really a reason to lie) give the hotel a chance to fix it. TRUST ME.

2/16/17 5:39 AM
10/8/13

Let it all out buddy, we're here for you. *Hugs*

2/16/17 5:40 AM
9/19/14
MMA Promoter1 -

Let it all out buddy, we're here for you. *Hugs*

Thanks. Had a rough night at work.

Edited: 2/16/17 5:47 AM
9/19/14

Fuck just realized I posted this in the UG. My bad guys. I'll tak all imaginary VDs . I will say to those needing rooms in my area PM me and I get you a killer deal. Anyway someone move this to the OG

2/16/17 5:42 AM
12/9/13

it seems this job is not your passion, find your passion.

2/16/17 5:49 AM
9/19/14
Morpheus1976 -

I really like working with people though. Yeah I have a felony holding me back but 9/10 days I love my job

2/16/17 5:55 AM
12/9/13
commonsense517 -
Morpheus1976 -

I really like working with people though. Yeah I have a felony holding me back but 9/10 days I love my job

would you like to link to a blank survey?, hotel details erased, would like to try to improve it

2/16/17 5:56 AM
9/19/14

Oh I did promise pics of a trashed room. blue please:

https://s14.postimg.org/bu3tq3u7l/IMG_0089.jpg

https://s14.postimg.org/bvdrjiw1d/IMG_0090.jpg

https://s14.postimg.org/dbpa1nyy9/IMG_0088.jpg

https://s14.postimg.org/3sfl87bg1/IMG_0091.jpg

https://s14.postimg.org/m99zz0re9/IMG_0092.jpg

https://s14.postimg.org/6qck1wj3l/IMG_0094.jpgi

https://s14.postimg.org/97td6a9bl/IMG_0095.jpg

2/16/17 5:57 AM
1/14/17
2/16/17 6:06 AM
10/15/16

In for pics

2/16/17 6:08 AM
9/19/14
Morpheus1976 -
commonsense517 -
Morpheus1976 -

would you like to link to a blank survey?, hotel details erased, would like to try to improve it

Fuck yes 

2/16/17 6:09 AM
9/19/14
MacReady - .

Well what else are we going to talk about? GSP? Holm's appeal?  Conor. Gotta change it up

2/16/17 7:19 AM
9/1/15

Good post. I suggest you post this on reddit as well to reach more audience. Everyone can benefit from this. 

2/16/17 7:46 AM
5/26/14
What area are you in?
2/16/17 7:50 AM
9/19/14
0hi0direct - What area are you in?

Not saying all that sorry.

2/16/17 7:53 AM
12/28/04
commonsense517 - 

Oh I did promise pics of a trashed room. blue please:

https://s14.postimg.org/bu3tq3u7l/IMG_0089.jpg

https://s14.postimg.org/bvdrjiw1d/IMG_0090.jpg

https://s14.postimg.org/dbpa1nyy9/IMG_0088.jpg

https://s14.postimg.org/3sfl87bg1/IMG_0091.jpg

https://s14.postimg.org/m99zz0re9/IMG_0092.jpg

https://s14.postimg.org/6qck1wj3l/IMG_0094.jpgi

https://s14.postimg.org/97td6a9bl/IMG_0095.jpg

2/16/17 7:53 AM
5/26/14
Well how the fuck am I supposed to get a deal
2/16/17 8:00 AM
10/15/13

2/16/17 8:02 AM
3/23/07
commonsense517 - 

Fuck just realized I posted this in the UG. My bad guys. I'll tak all imaginary VDs . I will say to those needing rooms in my area PM me and I get you a killer deal. Anyway someone move this to the OG

commonsense517 - 
0hi0direct - What area are you in?

Not saying all that sorry.

We're not psychic bro.

2/16/17 8:04 AM
11/7/07
geez man, doesnt looked to trashed
2/16/17 8:21 AM
8/29/03
Good post