OtherGround Forums John Oliver confronts Hoffman over allegations

8 days ago
6/25/17

Dustin Hoffman got into a heated war of words with HBO host John Oliver on Monday night during a public Q&A session after Oliver questioned the actor about recent sexual harassment allegations that were made against him.

“You’ve made one statement in print — does that feel like enough to you?” Oliver asked in reference to an apology Hoffman made after he was publicly accused by a former production assistant in The Hollywood Reporter last month.

“First of all, it didn’t happen, the way she reported,” the actor said, according to Deadline.

To which Oliver replied, “It’s that part of the response to this stuff that pisses me off. It is reflective of who you were. You’ve given no evidence to show that it didn’t happen. There was a period of time when you were creeping around women. It feels like a cop-out to say, ‘Well, this isn’t me.’ Do you understand how that feels like a dismissal?”

Hoffman fired back, “You weren’t there.”

“I’m glad,” Oliver said.

The event — which was held to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Hoffman’s film “Wag the Dog” — lasted roughly an hour and was filled with heated exchanges, Deadline reports.

“You’ve put me on display here,” Hoffman told Oliver at one point. “You have indicted me … That’s not ‘innocent until proven guilty.’”

The actor repeatedly tried to blame the time period for his actions, saying the atmosphere was different back then when the alleged abuse occurred. This prompted Oliver to go back on the offensive.

“I don’t love that answer either,” the British comedian said.

“What response do you want?” Hoffman asked.

“It doesn’t feel self-reflective in the way it seems the incident demands,” replied Oliver.

“I get no pleasure from this conversation,” he added. “But you and I are not the victims here.”

Referencing reports in THR and Variety, Hoffman said: “Do you believe this stuff you’re reading?”

In response, Oliver flat-out said he did “because she would have no reason to lie.”

Moments later, a person in the crowd shouted: “Thank you for believing women.”

https://pagesix.com/2017/12/05/john-oliver-dustin-hoffman-have-heated-exchange-over-sexual-harassment-claims/

8 days ago
9/11/14
I hope Hoffman knocks his teeth out.
8 days ago
2/5/06
Oliver is a pitiful fuckstick
8 days ago
2/5/05

That was a douchey way to handle it but he’s also not entirely wrong. I do love that Hollywood is eating its own most of all. Fuck these idiots. 

8 days ago
9/26/10

i want to say he should just talk about the culture, and how he has changed and the culture needs to continue to change. But then, does that increase the chances of him completely losing his career? 

8 days ago
10/15/13
CaptainWoody - Oliver is a pitiful fuckstick

This.....

8 days ago
7/15/02

LOL at Oliver saying that Hoffman hasn’t provided evidence that it didn’t happen. That’s real retarded, sir. 

8 days ago
1/1/01
Oliver is awesome and the snowflakes in this thread salivate at the sound of the bell every time.
8 days ago
10/15/13
Yossarian -

LOL at Oliver saying that Hoffman hasn’t provided evidence that it didn’t happen. That’s real retarded, sir. 

How in the fuck do you prove that you didn't do something??

These late night hosts/fake news comedians are really fucking going off the deep end lately.

8 days ago
1/1/01
Yossarian -

I have to say I'm with you on that part.
8 days ago
12/1/03
Al Cappucino - 
Yossarian -

How in the fuck do you prove that you didn't do something??

These late night hosts/fake news comedians are really fucking going off the deep end lately.

Yep
8 days ago
6/13/15

Hoffman was right whether some like to hear it or not. Times were different back then. It's a bit unfair to judge the standards of that time to the standards in place today. I am also glad to see Hollywood and Washington eat their own.

8 days ago
8/18/13

"What reason would she have to lie"

The same reason girls lie about footballers raping them presumably, money to be made and a lack of a moral compass? The sooner we remember the phrase innocent until proven guilty, the better. Has there been one arrest in Holllywood yet? And if not why the fuck are people losing their lives and careers??

Don't get me wrong, bunch of egotistical elite wankers I don't give a fuck about. But it sucks that an accusation is now enough to wreck a life, it simply shouldn't be 

8 days ago
4/22/17

As much as I enjoy seeing hollywood get theirs I don't like seeing people convicted in the court of public opinion like this. It's setting a bad precedent. 

8 days ago
9/14/04

The fact is people joked and said shit in the work place that was a lot different back then. And as far as I know women and people in general were way more tolerant  of it. It was just the culture. You can’t fault someone for 180° attitude shift 20 or 30 years later. 

Of course if it was actual physical assault that is different. 

8 days ago
10/15/13

Whenever i see one of these holier than type assholes like Oliver act like a moral know-it-all and trash someone like he did to Hoffman....I pray to god some dirt on him comes out.

8 days ago
10/21/09

Cockblocking prick.

8 days ago
12/2/05

You’ve given no evidence to show that it didn’t happen. 

---

And this is where we are now. 

Edited: 8 days ago
11/11/11

While I agree that it's not fair to condemn Hoffman completely, or anyone else, based on the word of a single person. And cleary there's some genuine OG hate for Oliver which automatically positions some of you in Hoffman's defense, but do at least consider the fact that Hoffman's first accuser was 17 years old at the time that he groped and propsitioned her for sex.

That's not "how things were back then" is to wrongly deflect blame: Sex with a minor has never been accepted or, to the best of my knowledge in most states, legal.

However, if these two women are the only two who have had an inappropriate proposition from Hoffman in all the years he's been in Hollywood (and considering the culture of the film industry), I'd say he's done pretty well considering. That's not to excuse his actions but we all know that if every woman who was every abused, harrassed, groped, pressured, etc. by a film industry heavyweight came forward the industry would be shattered.

8 days ago
12/2/05
kevsh -

While I agree that it's not fair to condemn Hoffman completely, or anyone else, based on the word of a single person. And cleary there's some genuine OG hate for Oliver which automatically positions some of you in Hoffman's defense, but do at least consider the fact that Hoffman's first accuser was 17 years old at the time that he groped and propsitioned her for sex.

That's not "how things were back then" is to wrongly deflect blame: Sex with a minor has never been accepted or, to the best of my knowledge in most states, legal.

However, if these two women are the only two who have had an inappropriate proposition from Hoffman in all the years he's been in Hollywood (and considering the culture of the film industry), I'd say he's done pretty well considering. That's not to excuse his actions but we all know that if every woman who was every abused, harrassed, groped, pressured, etc. by a film industry heavyweight came forward the industry would be shattered.

Age of consent is 16 in half or close to half of the states (I'm not going to count right now). It was even more skewed back then. 

8 days ago
1/2/15
Prove it didn't happen!

Liberals
Edited: 8 days ago
7/5/12
"In response, Oliver flat-out said he did “because she would have no reason to lie.”"

I really hate this line of reasoning. Everyone who lies says they "have no reason to lie". Just because YOU can't think of a reason doesn't mean the person didn't lie. Sometimes people lie for crazy reasons or no reason at all.
8 days ago
12/2/05
Here's a thought experiment. John Oliver is accused of groping a 17 year old tomorrow. He remembers meeting her and remembers that night 100%. He is 100% sure he did not touch her. How should he respond?

It didn't happen that way!

That's dismissive John!!!

That's not me, I wouldn't have acted that way.

Unsatisfying John! That was you until you show evidence it wasn't John!

---

It's completely impossible to respond to if you actually didn't do it.

Now of course Hoffman could be lying. But what does Oliver want him to say if he really didn't do it? He is giving him no options.
8 days ago
7/26/07
The Ghost Of Swayze - "In response, Oliver flat-out said he did “because she would have no reason to lie.”"

I really hate this line of reasoning. Everyone who lies says they "have no reason to lie". Just because YOU can't think of a reason doesn't mean the person didn't lie. Sometimes people lie for crazy reasons or no reason at all.

There are obvious reasons to lie

Money and Notoriety being two of the biggest in relation to Celebrities
8 days ago
7/12/15
lol of course the OG would attack Oliver over this

ignore Hoffman talking about how things were different then