OtherGround Forums Kingston Penitentiary - HELL closeth come Monday!!

9/27/13 9:57 PM
8/31/10

In several instances I am one degree of separation from this gates of hell, otherwise known as The Kingston Penitentiary. This miserable whithole for a maximum security prison will officially close come Monday (September 30th 2013), but the many legends that make up the horrifying history of the joint will never go away.

My father, uncle and brother have all served time in The Kingston Pen, and while I have heard some great stories from them, it is the stories I have read about in books and newspapers that make this a place where nightmares are born for me.

This place housed some of the biggest shitbags Canada has ever had the misfortune of producing. Although nothing good is synonamous with this place, I do feel a strange sense of disappointment at the thought that this old landmark may be torn down for some modern development, though that remains uncertain at this point.

9/27/13 10:10 PM
8/31/10

Infamous Canadian bank robber Roger Caron wrote two best selling books, the second one being BINGO, about the historic 1971 prison riot at the Kingston Penitentiary. This book details the four day standoff in which inmates overtook the prison and held several guards hostage. They also were able to get the inmates out of the protective custody 'D' wing and drag them out to the dome where they held a kangaroo court amongst themselves, resulting in a couple of brutal deaths and some savage, torturous beatings to those who deserved it most.

My Dad and uncle being just a couple years removed knew most of the fellas responsible for this kangaroo court, and "knew them well," and it is their belief that had they still been there they would have been right in the middle of that shit. I was born in 1970, therefore it is safe to say that I would not be typing this post had the old boy still been inside.

9/27/13 10:13 PM
1/25/04
In Phone Post 3.0
9/27/13 10:15 PM
8/31/10

Here are a few pictures from the resulting aftermath of the riot in 1971.

and the party is over........

9/27/13 10:21 PM
1/26/12
You live in Kingston? I'm from Tyendinaga and whenever I drive by the pen when I was little I thought it was a castle haha Phone Post
9/27/13 10:22 PM
8/31/10

I may post some redundant material from a past thread I did about my father, but it is a new thread, and the material is relevant, such as this photo which was taken right after they both got out of the Kingston Pen in 1968. According to my uncle Bill (in the background) this was the first ever photo they had seen taken with a polaroid camera. It's a great pic which lead to some amazing stories when I came across it last March.

9/27/13 10:28 PM
8/31/10
rMar89 -  You live in Kingston? I'm from Tyendinaga and whenever I drive by the pen when I was little I thought it was a castle haha Phone Post

No way man, fuck that town! Nothing but shit memories of driving up there as a kid from Toronto to visit the old man. I actually hate Kingston..........with the exception of Don Cherry, Doug Gilmour, Kirk Muller and the Tragically Hip, there is nothing good about that town for me.

I'm in BC now.

Edited: 9/27/13 11:58 PM
8/31/10

Here are some of the sickest shitbags, and most infamous inmates ever to reside in this place.

EDIT: The test I copy and pasted is not visible under each POS. I will try to fix, but have to run to the store for some more wine, says the old lady.

Schoolgirl killer Paul Bernardo is one of Canada's most vilest criminals. In 1995, Bernardo was sentenced to life in prison without parole for a least 25 years for the heinous murder and rape of Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy. He also played a role in the death of his wife Karla Homolka's sister, Tammy.

Mohammad Shafia and his son Hamed in January 2012, along with Shafia's wife Tooba were found guilty of first degree murder in the killings of their three daughters, ages 19, 17 and 13, along with the death of Mohammad's first wife. The father and son were imprisoned in Kingston for the honour killings last year.

Kingston Pen is home to Christopher Little, the Markham, Ont., man who killed his ex and her boyfriend's former wife and then tried to make it look like a murder suicide.

Also once a resident of KP is Michael Briere, who abducted and raped a 14 year-old Holly Jones in Toronto before strangling her and dismembering her body.

Wayne Clifford Boden was responsible for a two year reign of terror in Montreal starting in 1969. He was responsible for the murders of four women, including one in Calgary and was sentenced to three life sentences. He was labelled the vampire rapist because he bit the breasts of his victims. His case was also significant as forensic evidence from the bite marks was used for the first time in Canada to get a conviction. Boden began his sentence in 1972 (fucking lucky he wasn't there for the riot), and he died of cancer in 2006.

Russell WIlliams is one of the most sadistic murderers in Canadian history. Once a member of KP, he is serving his life sentence in a Quebec prison now. He was convicted in October 2010 of sexually attacking two Tweed women in their homes and the first degree murders of Cpl. Marie Comeua, 37 of Brighton, and Bellevilles Jessica Lloyd, 27. He was also convicted in dozens of break-ins and thefts of underwear ind intimate items in Belleville, Tweed and Ottawa.

Michael Rafferty was found guilty in the sexual assault and murder of 8-year-old Victoria Stafford in Woodstock, Ont., in 2009. The girl was abducted by Rafferty's girlfriend as she walked home from school and was caught on surveillance camera.

Kigston Pen is home to Christopher Little

AG

9/27/13 10:35 PM
1/23/13
Awesome pic of your dad!

Where is Harper building new pens? I'm Canadian, i know the conservatives are making more prisons, but i have no idea where...
9/27/13 10:43 PM
9/5/12
Don't know if you feel comfortable talking about it or if you have before, but what was your family in for? Phone Post
9/27/13 10:45 PM
8/31/10
Fighting - 

Can you bump your 20,000 th thread? I wish to check out your dad and your story again/

Here you go. I have made some edits and removed some posts lately, but most of the original material is still there. I recently made some adjustments because a very important older lady in my life was going to have a peak at it.

LINK:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2188454

9/27/13 10:50 PM
1/26/12
Man the Russell Williams stuff was crazy, happened 15mins away from me. Phone Post
9/28/13 12:08 AM
8/31/10
Paramount Donkey -  Don't know if you feel comfortable talking about it or if you have before, but what was your family in for? Phone Post

At the time, my Dad was in for robbery, while my uncle was in for highjacking a tractor trailor full of liquor. Bill (my uncle was the youngest inmate in Kingston at 17-years-old at the time.

9/28/13 12:17 AM
8/31/10

9/28/13 12:39 AM
11/2/11
Disney Land!

Used to live right across the street from the place. Phone Post
9/28/13 12:51 AM
1/1/01
Wow. ..crazy stuff.....why do you have so many criminals in ur family? Have you served time? Phone Post
9/28/13 1:03 AM
8/10/11
sgotwalks -
rMar89 -  You live in Kingston? I'm from Tyendinaga and whenever I drive by the pen when I was little I thought it was a castle haha Phone Post

No way man, fuck that town! Nothing but shit memories of driving up there as a kid from Toronto to visit the old man. I actually hate Kingston..........with the exception of Don Cherry, Doug Gilmour, Kirk Muller and the Tragically Hip, there is nothing good about that town for me.

I'm in BC now.

That's bullshit. I live in kingston and am about 10 minutes away from the pen. Everyone I have ever talked to loves kingston and says how beautiful it is. Phone Post 3.0
9/28/13 1:04 AM
2/28/10
rMar89 -  Man the Russell Williams stuff was crazy, happened 15mins away from me. Phone Post

^ this:

RW was also a LtCol in the Canadian Air Force, a distinguished pilot, and commander of the base in Afghanistan, fucked up story, especially the photos of him wearing women's underwear ...

9/28/13 1:06 AM
8/10/11
Bman15 -
sgotwalks -

I'm in BC now.

That's bullshit. I live in kingston and am about 10 minutes away from the pen. Everyone I have ever talked to loves kingston and says how beautiful it is. Phone Post 3.0
Sorry. Read your post wrong. Thought you said kingston is a shit city Phone Post 3.0
Edited: 9/28/13 1:16 AM
8/31/10

Here is a link to an  interesting article from a 1971 edition of the Ottawa Citizen shortly after the riot. My uncle has spoken of several of the guys mentioned in this article..........I will follow up vid a clip (audio) of him speaking about it in a moment.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2194&dat=19711109&id=07oyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=wOwFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4110,2779513

Brian Beaucage who is mentioned in the article was in business with my Pops inside, as were the Oag brothers and Ernie Bugler. These were some scary dudes.

Edited: 9/28/13 1:30 AM
8/31/10

This is a little tacky trying to post some material that was already shared elsewhere, but this thread just struck me as something new and different than my other one, as it is tribute to a legendary hellhole that has played a role in my life on varying ways.

With that, I will temporarly post these audio clips of my uncle talking to me last March about some of his and my Dad's experience in Kingston. Sorry, it begins mid-story about a near beef that took place with my Dad and some fellow named Buddy Smith. If you want to skip ahead to somewhere after the seven minute mark, I beliebve it is there that he talks about the riot. He also goes on a great diatribe about "That Fuck" Clifford Olson.

Link for iphones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNueuk38ZFY

Edited: 9/28/13 1:30 AM
8/31/10

In the second part of the audio, my Dad walks into the condo and they both tell some good stories. You need to skip ahead a few minutes, as they are talking about attending Corny's (another serious dude who is like an uncle to me) birthday. There is some entertaining dialogue after that.

Link for iphones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rX009obKIM

9/28/13 1:32 AM
8/31/10
GSP24 - 
sgotwalks -
Paramount Donkey -  Don't know if you feel comfortable talking about it or if you have before, but what was your family in for? Phone Post

At the time, my Dad was in for robbery, while my uncle was in for highjacking a tractor trailor full of liquor. Bill (my uncle was the youngest inmate in Kingston at 17-years-old at the time.

I bet they were skinners, no? Phone Post 3.0

Not sure what you mean, so likely not.

9/28/13 1:38 AM
8/31/10

The worst of the worst right here. Clifford Olson, a motherfucking, murdering, pedophile monster!

Canada's most notorious serial killer, Clifford Olson was once a member of KP. He was transferred to Prince Albert in Saskatchewan after he was caught with a handcuff key in his rectum. He was transferred to a Quesbec prison where he died in 2011.

9/28/13 1:41 AM
8/31/10
GSP24 - 
sgotwalks -
GSP24 - 
sgotwalks -

I bet they were skinners, no? Phone Post 3.0

Not sure what you mean, so likely not.

You do time? Phone Post 3.0

I did, but not in Kingston, so I am going to leave my story oout of this thread. Never heard the term skinner though.