OtherGround Forums NAACP President racially profiled by Cop

5/14/18 7:10 PM
12/23/08

...or so he claimed.

TIMMONSVILLE, S.C. – A man identified as the president of the Timmonsville NAACP chapter said in a Facebook post that he was racially profiled by a Timmonsville police officer. A body cam video provided by the Timmonsville Police Department contradicts his claims. 

The Rev. Jerrod Moultrie, whose Facebook page says he is still the chapter’s president, posted on April 13 that he was racially profiled by a Timmonsville officer because he was “driving a Mercedes Benz and going home in a nice neighborhood.” It is unclear what Timmonsville neighborhood he was referring to.

In the post, Moultrie recapped his conversation with the officer during a traffic stop that occurred on April 12. He said the officer stopped him for failure to use a turn signal and then asked if he had drugs in his car.

After being asked for his license and registration, Moultrie said in the post, he opened the “glove box” in his car and told the officer, “This is a new car I just purchased and all I have is bill of sale insurance card and registration from car I am transferring tags.”

According to Moultrie’s post, the officer then says “Ok, where you work and who car is this and why you in this neighborhood.” Moultrie tells the officer where his house is located and that he is a pastor, the post said. The officer responds by saying, “And I am the Bill Gates,” according to Moultrie’s Facebook post.

Moultrie continues his recount of the interaction by saying the officer again questions him about why he is in that specific neighborhood in Timmonsville. And after reviewing his information, the officer supposedly tells Moultrie that his tags are registered to another vehicle and he should not drive the car until he gets the situation straightened with the DMV. Moultrie said the officer told him he was doing him a favor for not taking him to jail or writing him a ticket.

“This officer thought he had some drugs or something cause since when 2 patrol car stops one car on a turn signal issue,” Moultrie said in the post. “Guess I can’t be a pastor and can’t drive a Mercedes Benz and live in a nice neighborhood. Well you know as president of Timmonsville NAACP he stop the wrong car tonight cause someone needs to answer for this behavior…”

Moultrie’s post was later removed from Facebook.

In the body cam video, Officer Chris Miles tells Moultrie that the reason he came in contact with him is due to him not signaling when he made a right turn.

“That’s the only reason I’m coming in contact with you, OK?” Miles said in the video. There was no mention of drugs in the body cam video.

Miles did not question Moultrie about why he was in that particular neighborhood or make any mention of Bill Gates. He did suggest for Moultrie to not drive the car until he gets proper documentation because the registration came back to a 1992 GMC truck instead of a Mercedes car.

Timmonsville Police Chief Billy Brown said he was surprised when he heard of Moultrie’s allegations, as they were not of Miles’ character. Brown said he was out of the office when he heard of the allegations but immediately got his captain to look at the body cam video to see what happened.

“And my captain called me back and pretty much said chief, what he (Moultrie) said happened didn’t happen at all,” Brown said.

He said he accepted what the captain said but needed to see the video for himself, too.

Brown said Moultrie’s false allegations of racial profiling need to be made public.

“But I think by him being the president of NAACP for the Timmonsville area, that it needs to be out to the public for the simple reason, if and when something else happens, they need to be able to look at the credibility of who’s presenting it,” Brown said. “I mean, if he lied about this to us, he’ll lie about anything to anyone. I just don’t think we need his type of representation.”

Miles has chosen not to comment on the situation. Moultrie did not return a call to the Morning News.

Timmonsville Councilman Curtis Harris, who is also affiliated with the NAACP, said he did not believe Moultrie’s allegations “have any basis of truth in it.” He said he is very disappointed.

According to Harris, the Timmonsville community did not vote to have Moultrie lead the NAACP chapter. He was instead “anointed” by the South Carolina NAACP President Dwight C. James Sr. after the Timmonsville chapter became defunct, Harris said.

“The way they rigged it, they wouldn’t let anybody else vote, closed vote,” Harris said.

James should take full responsibility for his mistake, according to Harris. “Prior to that (Moultrie becoming president), all of the leadership for the NAACP was from the community, by the community and of the community,” Harris said. “He (Moultrie) is not from the community. He was not recommended by the community.

And he is not a part of the community.” Harris said he would like to see an open, fair election for a new local NAACP president who is a reputable person.

http://www.scnow.com/news/local/article_023a88d4-563a-11e8-9448-e37f81cc3ad5.html

5/14/18 7:11 PM
12/23/08
5/14/18 7:16 PM
12/23/08

5/14/18 7:36 PM
12/2/05
LOL he thought he could just put tags from one car on another car and call it a day?
5/14/18 7:39 PM
12/2/05
Dude was so nice, didn't say shit about doing him a favor. Who could possibly be mad about that interaction?
5/14/18 7:43 PM
4/21/09
Fake Pie - LOL he thought he could just put tags from one car on another car and call it a day?

Lol that shit will get your a serious fine in my neck of the woods. 

5/14/18 7:44 PM
12/17/06
Hocky -

What backwoods country ass fucked up kind of Anglish is this?

2/4/06

Body cameras are racist.

5/24/03
Is it weird to have 2 cruisers for a traffic stop about a turn signal?
5/14/18 7:45 PM
12/17/06

Seriously, why is anyone who has such a tenuous grasp of the language appointed to represent anybody?

Or even worse, elected? *cough*Maxine*cough*

5/14/18 7:48 PM
12/10/16

Is English his second language? 

Jesus Christ it looks like a 4 year old wrote that transcript. 

5/14/18 7:48 PM
6/26/17

Did this guy graduated kindergardens?

5/14/18 7:49 PM
8/16/11

Ok.

5/14/18 7:49 PM
12/23/08
Altofsky -
Hocky -

What backwoods country ass fucked up kind of Anglish is this?

You’re clearly not the Bill Gates.

5/14/18 7:50 PM
12/10/16
RicGillespie - Is it weird to have 2 cruisers for a traffic stop about a turn signal?

Atypical probably, but not weird. Probably just nearby and bored. 

5/14/18 7:54 PM
2/2/12
RicGillespie - Is it weird to have 2 cruisers for a traffic stop about a turn signal?

Depends on the area. I used to work in Greenwich, CT and anytime I saw someone pulled over, multiple cars would show up pretty quick since they must have been pretty bored most of the time. 

5/14/18 7:55 PM
1/12/10

Not if one is in the area and not currently preoccupied. 

As a white guy, I have had two cops pull me over for a cracked windshield. Just happens sometimes. 

As for this guy, he needs to be exposed for the lying bastard he is. It’s quite telling when someone ACTUALLY affiliated with the NAACP denounces a “leader” of the orginization and basically says that chapter is corrupt. 

5/14/18 7:56 PM
4/3/08

Must’ve been coming up short for the monthly hate crime/profiling quota. 

5/14/18 7:59 PM
12/2/05

3min stop. Didn't ticket him though could have. Didn't even verify he owned the vehicle. Let him head off anyhow. Could not be any less profiling 

5/14/18 8:00 PM
3/16/15

I am shocked that someone from the NAACP would intentionally lie about racism.

Edited: 5/14/18 8:01 PM
6/3/03

I absolutely love that body cams are completely destroying the “I was profiled by a racist cop” narrative that keeps getting regurgitated by non-white public officials. 

Are there racist cops? Absolutely! Are black public officials harassed by racist cops every time there is an interaction with law enforcement? Absolutely not!!!

Body cams are an incredible tool to protect both cops and public alike. Only thing I would say is that every time some scummy public official complains that they were harassed by cops and the body can footage shows differently every fucking news org should show that and make sure it comes out because when a cop does some shady shit that’s caught on tape that shit is broadcast on every news org for weeks! Turnabout should be fair play.   

5/14/18 8:20 PM
6/12/13

The pastor business must be good now a days.  MAGA.  Errabody doin well it seems

Edited: 5/14/18 8:59 PM
7/15/04

What an absolute piece of shit. Trying to ruin another mans career and life so you can have your 15 minutes of internet "I'm a victim" fame? 

Throw this bitch in jail and let him think about his sins for a bit.

5/14/18 8:29 PM
1/17/03

Scum

5/14/18 8:39 PM
6/23/12

As soon as cops realize that body cams will only protect them, they'll never shut them off. Unless they're shitty cops.