OtherGround Forums Official Premier League 2018-19 Season thread

5/17/18 4:27 PM
8/14/02
Dravenlives - 

I think what poch has turned spurs into with no money or huge wages is far more impressive 

Yep, that's fair.  He's a very impressive manager. But there is something of a house of cards feeling there.  If Kane goes this summer, they're in trouble

5/17/18 5:35 PM
2/23/12
Dravenlives -

I think what poch has turned spurs into with no money or huge wages is far more impressive 

Then pep or in general? I'd agree with simeone although I can probably only appreciate it from a distance and don't want to see him in the premiership. I wonder how familiar with him fans are who want him, particularly united fans who criticise mourinhos tactics in the same post they suggest he be the replacement
5/17/18 7:22 PM
2/25/12
Jored1990 -
Dravenlives -

Then pep or in general? I'd agree with simeone although I can probably only appreciate it from a distance and don't want to see him in the premiership. I wonder how familiar with him fans are who want him, particularly united fans who criticise mourinhos tactics in the same post they suggest he be the replacement

Than pep...its hard to look past pep given the season he's had but could he build a team up with no insane transfer fees and wages....guess we'll never know 

5/17/18 7:35 PM
2/23/12
Pep will only manage big clubs, after city it will probably be juve or psg so we'll never see him operate on a limited budget. I think at a point in a career like his he's earnt that, I don't agree with people who say mourinho should take a more challenging job either, he doesn't need to but at least jose has porto

Simeone contending with big egos who don't want to run themselves into the ground or play his style of football would be interesting. It's been rumored for a while that he'll eventually go to inter, I could see him at chelsea though
5/18/18 4:29 AM
2/25/12

I can't believe Arsenal aren't in for Simeone 

He'd sort out their weak mentality

5/18/18 5:07 AM
2/23/12
He would, but you'd probably have a situation like at united where some fans are happy that they're on a better course than under moyes or van gaal, but also fans who hate the football. Arsenal are known for their attacking football, if they were playing like atletico I guarantee a decent percentage of their fans wouldn't like it

I hope they hire arteta just for the immediate fallout
5/18/18 8:37 AM
1/1/01
Mencken -
Dravenlives - 

Yep, that's fair.  He's a very impressive manager. But there is something of a house of cards feeling there.  If Kane goes this summer, they're in trouble

What’s the amount they’re talking about getting for Kane?

Spurs came out saying yesterday they’ll match any offer for Pulisic, and I think the last number Dortmund threw out was €40M..

5/18/18 9:06 AM
2/23/12
Hasn't pulisic had a poor season? I know klopp rates him and Liverpool have been linked with him persistently since klopp took over. I've never seen him play, I could see him being like eriksen as far as being a player liverpool were reliably linked to alot and must regret not signing

I don't know why liverpool don't seem to be interested in alderweireld
5/18/18 9:19 AM
5/10/08

A super league would destroy domestic football.

Personally, I think it would be terrible for the sport.

5/18/18 11:05 AM
8/14/02
Jored1990 - Hasn't pulisic had a poor season? I know klopp rates him and Liverpool have been linked with him persistently since klopp took over. I've never seen him play, I could see him being like eriksen as far as being a player liverpool were reliably linked to alot and must regret not signing

I don't know why liverpool don't seem to be interested in alderweireld

Pulisic will be the best American player to date. I'm kind of surprised FSG hasn't pushed to get him

5/18/18 11:06 AM
8/14/02
Dravenlives - 

I can't believe Arsenal aren't in for Simeone 

He'd sort out their weak mentality

They couldn't get him with the model their board wants. They want a weaker manager that is a caretaker and focused on that, while someone else handles the transfers. 

5/20/18 9:26 AM
2/25/12

One of the worst cup finals I've ever seen

5/20/18 10:56 AM
2/23/12
Dravenlives -

Are you getting tired of Mourinho and his 'The press only criticize me' bullshit? People always say he's good at mind games but I think he's just a legit narcissist. Ferguson would say things that were obviously hypocritcial and it would get under other managers skin which seemed calculated, Mourinho just fucking whines and pouts

Edited: 5/20/18 12:17 PM
5/19/17

awful.  normally when a game like that is tight , i usualy like it to go to extra time - just because its more.  but here i just wanted chelsea to win and it to end.

5/20/18 12:25 PM
5/10/08
Mencken -

Who would you guys say is the best manager in the game today?  Guys like Pep are undeniably good, but he spent an absolute shitload to get City the PL trophy. 

My vote is for Simeone. What he's done with Atletico is really impressive, especially considering he's been up against two of the greatest teams in history.  

Simeone for sure.

A younger Mourinho.

A younger Arsene Wenger

5/20/18 4:09 PM
2/25/12
Jored1990 -
Dravenlives -

Are you getting tired of Mourinho and his 'The press only criticize me' bullshit? People always say he's good at mind games but I think he's just a legit narcissist. Ferguson would say things that were obviously hypocritcial and it would get under other managers skin which seemed calculated, Mourinho just fucking whines and pouts

I agree with him that he does face more scrutiny than say conte but the difference is he's at United...conte can get away with that performance at Chelsea 

Can you imagine the reaction if we played like Chelsea and won 1-0 with a penalty....admittedly we were pretty dire too

But yes my patience is wearing very thin more so with his failure to get performances from Martial pogba Rashford and Shaw...they should be the future of our club

He signed Sanchez and turned him into bendtner

5/22/18 6:18 AM
2/23/12

So Emery is taking the Arsenal job, I wondered why he hadn't been linked to them, it had been common knowledge for months that Tuchel was taking over at PSG and he makes alot more sense than Arteta

It's funny to see Arsenal fans act like Emery is some big get, he had two seasons at PSG and won the league once. He has a good record and will most likely improve Arsenal, but he probably barely makes the top 5 of the names that Arsenal fans were floating around like Simeone, Allegri and Ancelotti

5/22/18 7:15 AM
2/25/12

Arsenal board just want a yes man that will get them top 4 every year

Apparently they told Arteta the transfer budget is 50 million LOL

That should be Southamptons budget not Arsenal

5/22/18 7:52 AM
5/19/17

If you look at Emerys record its not fantastic.  Its good, but......

When in spain, where he made his name, he never finished in the top three.

i would have tanken ancelotti over him.

I read a quote from Kroenki a few years ago which said, something like, - I didnt buy Arsenal to win Trophies.

It really is awful for Arsenal fans to have an owner who really just wants to make the top four, as a financial interest.  Whose motives are different from those of the the fans.

It makes a mockery of the sport, and there is even something slightly sinister about it.  

But its capitalism, so what can you do?

5/22/18 8:11 AM
2/23/12

I don't think Arsenal fans have got used to adjusting their no-champions-league transfer window expectations yet, they'll be helped by being in London but some of the names they throw around like Oblak, Allison, Fekir and Jorginho just aren't likely to happen. Liverpool had years of signing Charlie Adam, Fabio Borini and Joe Allen or players who were unknown and only recently have started attracting quality players again since the Benitez days. Arsenal got Mkhitaryan at 29 and Aubameyang will be 29 by the start of next season, players with alot of options probably aren't picking Arsenal

5/22/18 8:13 AM
11/2/06
He finished 3rd with Valencia in 3 of his 4 years (finished 6th in his first year whilst steadying the ship).

You also need to look at what he was working with, he had nothing to spend at Valencia or Seville and regularly had to sell his best players.

Not sure I'd go as far as to say it was fantastic, but within the structure that Arsenal are setting up, I think he's a pretty good fit
5/22/18 9:53 AM
2/23/12
JeffMcFluffy - He finished 3rd with Valencia in 3 of his 4 years (finished 6th in his first year whilst steadying the ship).

You also need to look at what he was working with, he had nothing to spend at Valencia or Seville and regularly had to sell his best players.

Not sure I'd go as far as to say it was fantastic, but within the structure that Arsenal are setting up, I think he's a pretty good fit

It's one thing to do well at a club with manageable ambitions, it's another at a big club. He's had one big job where the league title in recent years is meant to be a certainty and he finished second in his first season, that's like failing to win the SPL with Celtic. He did manage it a year later though after they brought Neymar and Mbappe in

People are also talking about a 'masterclass' he put on in the 2016 Europa League final, Sevilla deserved to win but I didn't realise one of the opposing players completely shitting the bed on 2 of the 3 goals and the referee not giving two penalties for two blatant handballs constitutes a tactical masterclass. He's a good manager with a good record who surely can't do worse than Wenger in the last couple of years, but the only reason Arsenal fans are happy about his appointment is because they'd been hearing about Arteta for weeks, if Emery were the prime target from the moment Wenger confirmed he was stepping down then people would have been underwhelmed. They spent all of that time talking about Simeone, Lowe and Allegri, Emery isn't in that class, he could prove to be or he could be the next Juande Ramos

5/22/18 10:28 AM
11/2/06

Valid points, but I think there were a combination of things that led to Emery being chosen. Sure, some of the managers wouldn’t want to leave for a club outside of the champions league, but another is the director of football style setup. There were rumblings of Arteta even wanting more control over things. All that on top of following on from Wenger, who for whatever anyone thinks of him recently, has his fingerprints on every element of the club for good or bad.

Emery might be the best choice to fit the structure, be willing to work within it, not spend silly money and still (hopefully) get us competing for 4th.

I’m not saying he’d of been my first choice, but as a realist he might be the best fit for now.

I think a lot of Arsenal fans would have been disgruntled with anyone we’d of signed outside of Allegri (not all, but the arsenal fan tv type fans). Simeone too defensive, Lowe not done it at club level, Arteta no experience, Ancelotti a bit of a mercenary etc

Edited: 5/22/18 11:02 AM
2/23/12

I think Emery is a good appointment, but it depends on what people are expecting of him. I don't think Arsenals team is too bad tbh, it doesn't need as much of an overhaul as Liverpool did after Rodgers, that team had alot of dead wood. If you were a new manager looking at Arsenals team you would see quite abit to work with and there are a few players like Bellerin who will probably look alot better under a new manager. Arsenal need to replace Mustafi, Cech and probably Welbeck though. Jonny Evans is about £3m and would be an upgrade on Mustafi at this point

Edited: 5/22/18 11:31 AM
5/19/17
JeffMcFluffy - He finished 3rd with Valencia in 3 of his 4 years (finished 6th in his first year whilst steadying the ship).

You are correct.   my memory failed me.  I remembered they were 4th for some reason.   And then not finishing 3rd with sevilla also.