OtherGround Forums Probiotics, TME

5/7/16 4:00 PM
6/29/05
I've been dealing with indigestion, acid reflux, and general stomach discomfort and it was suggested that I try a probiotic.

I started doing some research on it and found out Dr Rhonda Patrick is huge advocate of them, and there are a host of other "experts" that believe health begins with your gut.

So now I'm getting excited, sounds like I stumbled onto some very cool stuff. I now start researching different brands, and this is where things go haywire. I'm reading about all kinds of different strains, culture counts, refrigerated vs non refrigerated, etc, etc.... Now I'm spinning, and say fuck it and just bought some random brand off the shelf at my local drug store.

So now I turn to the OG. Anyone schooled in probiotics that could help a brother out? Anybody use them? Recommendations? Brands? Phone Post 3.0
5/7/16 4:15 PM
6/9/10
Not probiotics exactly, but a diet high in fibre is great for your microbiome.When it comes to health/food stuff I try not to buy into marketing hype/brands. You can get what you need from natural unprocessed foods.Here are some good foods: http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/features/tim-spectors-top-ten-list-of-gut-friendly-foods
5/7/16 4:16 PM
6/29/05
As far as what I bought from the drug store, still not if its doing anything. I will say I haven't had any bad heartburn or reflux lately, but I've also cleaned up my diet and drink a shot of wheatgrass daily now. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/16 5:46 PM
6/29/06
Probiotics fixed my stomach problems. You gotta get a good one though. I swear by vsl3... Pretty sure that's the brand. It's $60 a bottle but worth it. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/16 5:49 PM
4/11/10
INdigestion Phone Post 3.0
5/7/16 5:57 PM
3/16/15
http://www.procapslabs.com/Products/Details/268447403/Ultimate-Friendly-Flora

This is what I take. Very happy with it. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/16 6:17 PM
9/7/04
https://freetheanimal.com/2013/12/resistant-primer-newbies.html
5/7/16 6:18 PM
1/25/04

Make your own for cheap. Kraut & milk Kefir are easy as hell to make and contain not 5-50 billion per serving, but up to trillions per serving.

5 billion bacteria is really nothing. Your gut contains over 100 Trillion.

5/7/16 6:28 PM
9/8/10
find someone with good digestive health and eat their shit.
5/7/16 6:37 PM
1/1/01
This is the one I usually use and I'm very happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/Renew-Life-Probiotic-50-Billion/dp/B001LIW11Q/

I get it local from Vitamin Shoppe when they have a sale.

I'm very happy with that one, but I'm going to try this one out for a little bit: www.amazon.com/Multi-Strain-PROBIOTIC-InnovixLabs-Broad-Spectrum/dp/B00X4U2NDK/

No real reason for the switch, just going to try a different one for a little bit.

Last year there was a cold/flu going around my office. Once by one everyone got knocked out and had to take time off work. I was one of the few who didn't get touched. I have no way of proving it, but I think the probiotic helped me.

Also, when I take the probiotics regularly, my shits are so regular you can set your watch by them
5/7/16 9:11 PM
6/29/05
Granpa - Probiotics fixed my stomach problems. You gotta get a good one though. I swear by vsl3... Pretty sure that's the brand. It's $60 a bottle but worth it. Phone Post 3.0
I was looking at that one on Amazon, but a lot of the reviews were people talking about how they received it at room temp when it needs to be refrigerated.

Does it need to refrigerated? Where do you buy yours from? Phone Post 3.0
5/7/16 9:21 PM
6/29/05
sicko - This is the one I usually use and I'm very happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/Renew-Life-Probiotic-50-Billion/dp/B001LIW11Q/

I'm very happy with that one, but I'm going to try this one out for a little bit: www.amazon.com/Multi-Strain-PROBIOTIC-InnovixLabs-Broad-Spectrum/dp/B00X4U2NDK/

No real reason for the switch, just going to try a different one for a little bit.

Last year there was a cold/flu going around my office. Once by one everyone got knocked out and had to take time off work. I was one of the few who didn't get touched. I have no way of proving it, but I think the probiotic helped me.

Also, when I take the probiotics regularly, my shits are so regular you can set your watch by them
Those sound good too. When you buy it from your brick and mortar is it refrigerated? When I was looking at the Q and A on Amazon the refrigerated vs non-refrigerated debate was on again. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/16 9:34 PM
2/3/07
https://labdoor.com/rankings/probiotics
5/7/16 9:35 PM
3/8/13
Jack Carter -

Make your own for cheap. Kraut & milk Kefir are easy as hell to make and contain not 5-50 billion per serving, but up to trillions per serving.

5 billion bacteria is really nothing. Your gut contains over 100 Trillion.

This. Kefir and sauerkraut have helped so much, in addition to eating healthy and minimally processed foods. Both are cheap to make and are way more effective than anything you'll buy. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/16 9:37 PM
6/29/05
Willie Makitt - https://labdoor.com/rankings/probiotics
Wow the Wal-Mart house brand is top15 Phone Post 3.0
5/7/16 10:10 PM
11/5/13
In Phone Post 3.0
5/7/16 10:50 PM
1/7/04

undisputed top dog of pro biotics.  there are alot of good ones and tons of shitty ones, but this exact one is the top dog

5/8/16 12:47 AM
1/25/04
5/8/16 10:10 AM
1/1/01
WillyMaunawili - 
sicko - This is the one I usually use and I'm very happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/Renew-Life-Probiotic-50-Billion/dp/B001LIW11Q/

Those sound good too. When you buy it from your brick and mortar is it refrigerated? When I was looking at the Q and A on Amazon the refrigerated vs non-refrigerated debate was on again. Phone Post 3.0

Yes, Vitamin Shoppe has it in the small refrigerator that's on their sales floor. It's on the more expensive side as far a probiotics go, which is why I'll usually pick it up when Vitamin Shoppe is having one of their sales
5/8/16 10:12 AM
1/1/01
kylethasnizake - 

undisputed top dog of pro biotics.  there are alot of good ones and tons of shitty ones, but this exact one is the top dog

With so man different strands an variation of probiotics, and so many different manufacturing and delivery methods, I've never heard of any probiotic being an undisputed best. I'm a fan of Garden of Life products, but what makes this one such a good probiotic, and what puts it above the other ones listed here
5/8/16 2:19 PM
6/29/05
Jack Carter -
Wow that seems simple enough lol. Thanks Jack, might give it a shot soon Phone Post 3.0
Edited: 5/9/16 2:10 PM
1/25/04

Willy, you might have an H. Pylori infection.

A blood test can find out. I'm getting tested today because I have the same general problems. It's to the point where I can't lay down with out severe discomfort or diarrhea. It makes sleeping next to impossible.

5/9/16 2:29 PM
7/10/02
"With so man different strands an variation of probiotics, and so many different manufacturing and delivery methods, I've never heard of any probiotic being an undisputed best. I'm a fan of Garden of Life products, but what makes this one such a good probiotic, and what puts it above the other ones listed here"

Yep. Same opinion here. GofL products are great, but for probiotics, buy different brands/strains and you'll be covered. Buy 3 at one time and alternate. More cost upfront but same for the 3 months it covers.

And probably good idea to add Kefir and sauerkraut.

And have at least one probiotic that you can keep at room temperature for when you travel.
5/9/16 2:31 PM
9/7/04

Highly recommend this product:

Elixa logo

Improve the health of your gut.

Improve the health of your entire body.

Small Green Tick Elixa delivers 50x more beneficial bacteria per dose compared to the average probiotic supplement – Half a Trillion CFUs per dose!

Small Green Tick Our powerful blend takes effect within 3 days

Small Green Tick All made possible with the new standard in probiotic technology; Fortress-5

learn-morebuy-now

PNG Learn more arrow with shadow thinner

www.elixa-probiotic.com/

5/14/16 3:46 PM
6/29/05
ttt

Going shopping today, gonna see what my local shops have in stock Phone Post 3.0