OtherGround Forums Purposely not paying at self checkout Walmart?

3/19/17 1:27 PM
1/30/10

Have you ever purposely not paid for an item at the self checkout lanes ?

I did today ....i had always wondered why stores (Walmart) would do this, since it's so easy for people to steal stuff , and since a bunch of scum people shop at Walmart (no I am not part of the problem since I never do this and I will never do it again and I don't shop at Walmart)

today I scanned item and placed it in the plastic bag, but then realized it hadnt scanned correctly and I didn't see it on the screen ...I just continued scanning other items and never paid for it  

have you ever done this? My item was a bottle of gel 

3/19/17 1:28 PM
1/20/08
I'm not a thief, so no.
3/19/17 1:31 PM
8/15/07
If you attempt to scan and attempt to scan and attempt to scan, and it doesn't work, I feel like the responsibility lies with them at that point. You did what you could to legitimately pay for the item.

No, I'm not flagging down an employee (where are they all when you need them?) and no, I'm not moving back to a regular checkout line and no, I'm not standing around waiting on someone to show up to help me (an associate has been notified to assist you).
3/19/17 1:32 PM
11/2/16
Soul Gravy - If you attempt to scan and attempt to scan and attempt to scan, and it doesn't work, I feel like the responsibility lies with them at that point. You did what you could to legitimately pay for the item.

No, I'm not flagging down an employee (where are they all when you need them?) and no, I'm not moving back to a regular checkout line and no, I'm not standing around waiting on someone to show up to help me (an associate has been notified to assist you).

there is always an employee at the self checkout before the door. So, keep stealing and rationalizing it.
3/19/17 1:32 PM
10/13/08

If you put something on the scale without scanning it normally sends a warning.

3/19/17 1:34 PM
1/1/01
dios mio!
3/19/17 1:34 PM
8/15/07
Fujkm - 
Soul Gravy - If you attempt to scan and attempt to scan and attempt to scan, and it doesn't work, I feel like the responsibility lies with them at that point. You did what you could to legitimately pay for the item.

there is always an employee at the self checkout before the door. So, keep stealing and rationalizing it.

I'm not rationalizing anything other than the value of my time and the convenience to which I, as an American, am entitled.

You mean the person up front with the vacant expression? Who wanders off repeatedly? Yes, if that person is there then you may approach them for assistance. And when they're not?
3/19/17 1:35 PM
5/23/12
dios -

Have you ever purposely not paid for an item at the self checkout lanes ?

I did today ....i had always wondered why stores (Walmart) would do this, since it's so easy for people to steal stuff , and since a bunch of scum people shop at Walmart (no I am not part of the problem since I never do this and I will never do it again and I don't shop at Walmart)

today I scanned item and placed it in the plastic bag, but then realized it hadnt scanned correctly and I didn't see it on the screen ...I just continued scanning other items and never paid for it  

have you ever done this? My item was a bottle of gel 

sounds like the machine was not working properly. It is supose to detect when you put something in the bag without scanning it.

3/19/17 1:36 PM
3/15/06

Those scanners are terrible, I don't even try to scan the merchandise that's stuffed under my clothes.

3/19/17 1:37 PM
11/19/05
Soul Gravy - If you attempt to scan and attempt to scan and attempt to scan, and it doesn't work, I feel like the responsibility lies with them at that point. You did what you could to legitimately pay for the item.

This. I'm no theif and I don't feel good about it.  But one 3 occasions now over the years I have tried to scan and rescan and scan again.  If after the third try it doesn't scan, in the bag it goes. 

That doesn't make what I did right.  I do know that.  But it's a 3. item and I tried goddamn it.

3/19/17 1:41 PM
1/11/12

Generally there's loss prevention monitoring that area hard with video or in person 

3/19/17 1:56 PM
9/14/02
I watched a couple take around 40 items through so they had to keep putting the bags back into the cart with the unscanned merch. Then they just conveniently forget to scan some of it. The monkeys at the door have no right to even look at your receipt, and even if they do it's not like they really look at it and check your shit anyway.

Stealing is wrong. So is shopping at Walmart.
3/19/17 1:59 PM
3/19/04
Fighting -
Soul Gravy - If you attempt to scan and attempt to scan and attempt to scan, and it doesn't work, I feel like the responsibility lies with them at that point. You did what you could to legitimately pay for the item.

This. I'm no theif and I don't feel good about it.  But one 3 occasions now over the years I have tried to scan and rescan and scan again.  If after the third try it doesn't scan, in the bag it goes. 

That doesn't make what I did right.  I do know that.  But it's a 3. item and I tried goddamn it.

Another option would be to leave the item there and not steal it.
3/19/17 2:03 PM
6/8/10
false
3/19/17 2:08 PM
1/1/01

Not even sure how this would work at my grocery store. You have to scan the item and put it on scale or it won't continue. I suppose if you just leave it in your cart you could 

3/19/17 2:09 PM
2/4/07
I too steal from Walmart all the time and find ways to rationalize it. The more I steal, the more they have to raise prices to compensate for my theft. Higher prices at Walmart gives mom and pop shops the ability to be competitive on prices. Therefore, stealing from Walmart is the moral thing to do.
3/19/17 2:10 PM
1/1/01
I just used self check out there yesterday, and got stopped at the door and asked for my receipt.
3/19/17 2:12 PM
3/19/04
Sandy Pantz - I too steal from Walmart all the time and find ways to rationalize it. The more I steal, the more they have to raise prices to compensate for my theft. Higher prices at Walmart gives mom and pop shops the ability to be competitive on prices. Therefore, stealing from Walmart is the moral thing to do.

We need more people like you.
3/19/17 2:14 PM
3/1/10

I'm not a broke faggot, so no.

3/19/17 2:17 PM
4/10/16
Soul Gravy -
Fujkm - 

I'm not rationalizing anything other than the value of my time and the convenience to which I, as an American, am entitled.

You mean the person up front with the vacant expression? Who wanders off repeatedly? Yes, if that person is there then you may approach them for assistance. And when they're not?
You're mistaken douchebag. You're not entitled to anything in this world other than the air you breathe.
12/25/15
Sandy Pantz - I too steal from Walmart all the time and find ways to rationalize it. The more I steal, the more they have to raise prices to compensate for my theft. Higher prices at Walmart gives mom and pop shops the ability to be competitive on prices. Therefore, stealing from Walmart is the moral thing to do.

Now thats a good way to justify it. I usually wont rescan if the scale does not send the warning.

8/19/16
I have, it was a small night ize s binder that wouldn't scan and the employee want helping me. I tossed that thing in the bag and continued scanning
3/19/17 2:18 PM
1/1/01
When I was go too Fry's I'll use the self checkout and get organic veggies and enter the code for non organic or for sale items.
3/19/17 2:19 PM
1/1/01
Not really.

I just shove shit into my pockets and walk out.
3/19/17 2:24 PM
10/22/14

Lol I love how in the usa Walmart is the good guy. Capitalism at its finest.