OtherGround Forums Purposely not paying at self checkout Walmart?

3/19/17 2:29 PM
3/7/08
Sometimes I'll leave my daughter in her car seat and put the entire thing in the cart. I'll let her play with stuff as I get it and usually check to make sure I have everything but there have been times I forgot or didn't see something and just walked out without scanning it.
3/19/17 2:30 PM
8/7/12
I don't steal but I did manage to talk a manager at Wally World into selling me a $179 external hard drive for half the price. Their stupid ass machine would not read my card, I asked for the lady to put it in manually. She said she would have to get her manager. Manager comes over and gives it the good old try and says the machine won't take my card. Ask if i have another or I could use the atm. I'm not using your highway robbery of an atm because your shit don't work. I just look at her. Go to leave and half way to my truck decide fuck it I need that hard drive and this is last minute I'll use my other card. Go up to the cashier and ask if she still has my shit. Says the manager took it so I head to customer service. Now I've already waited in line once, now I have to wait in line again. Finally get up to the front and she rings my shit up. I tell her the shelf label said its was half the price of what it rang up as. She gives me a look and then over rides the price to half. Guess at that point she didn't give any fooks either.
3/19/17 2:36 PM
3/1/10
Jayn200 -

Lol I love how in the usa Walmart is the good guy. Capitalism at its finest. 

I don't see anyone saying Walmart is "the good guy".

Laughing at plebs who shoplift doesn't equate to defending the store they shoplift from.

3/19/17 2:40 PM
4/8/10
They know that you're stealing and don't care.

They have done the research on self-checkouts and how much they lose to theft vs what it costs to hire a person to work that job. It's cheaper to not hire anyone to run a till and have people do the self-checkout on the honour system. The 99cent made in china bullshit that you are stealing is worth almost nothing to Walmart, it's barely even worth it to hire some minimum wage worker to watch the exit.
3/19/17 2:43 PM
8/15/07
Canooke - 
Fighting -
Soul Gravy - If you attempt to scan and attempt to scan and attempt to scan, and it doesn't work, I feel like the responsibility lies with them at that point. You did what you could to legitimately pay for the item.

No, I'm not flagging down an employee (where are they all when you need them?) and no, I'm not moving back to a regular checkout line and no, I'm not standing around waiting on someone to show up to help me (an associate has been notified to assist you).

This. I'm no theif and I don't feel good about it.  But one 3 occasions now over the years I have tried to scan and rescan and scan again.  If after the third try it doesn't scan, in the bag it goes. 

That doesn't make what I did right.  I do know that.  But it's a 3. item and I tried goddamn it.

Another option would be to leave the item there and not steal it.

By gathering my items, carrying them to the front and participating in the process of self-checking out, I am entitled to said items in a manner of logical convenience. This is my right as a modern American consumer and one which I fully embrace.

For example:

I want this item. The seller charges a price for this item.

I attempt to pay for said item. Through no fault of my own, the seller interrupts, or makes difficult, or otherwise impedes the transaction.

I am entitled to said item at this point in the process. It is not my fault the seller did not follow through on their end. My obligation is only in the attempt to pay; if the seller cannot or will not accept the payment, that is their fault and their responsibility. The item is still mine.
3/19/17 2:43 PM
8/15/07
skullrivet - 
Soul Gravy -
Fujkm - 
Soul Gravy - If you attempt to scan and attempt to scan and attempt to scan, and it doesn't work, I feel like the responsibility lies with them at that point. You did what you could to legitimately pay for the item.

No, I'm not flagging down an employee (where are they all when you need them?) and no, I'm not moving back to a regular checkout line and no, I'm not standing around waiting on someone to show up to help me (an associate has been notified to assist you).

there is always an employee at the self checkout before the door. So, keep stealing and rationalizing it.

I'm not rationalizing anything other than the value of my time and the convenience to which I, as an American, am entitled.

You mean the person up front with the vacant expression? Who wanders off repeatedly? Yes, if that person is there then you may approach them for assistance. And when they're not?
You're mistaken douchebag. You're not entitled to anything in this world other than the air you breathe.

Incorrect.
3/19/17 2:44 PM
12/29/06

Did it once by accident. Scanned for apples and it didn't recognize the barcode so picked 'apples' from the screen. The first apples shown were the cheapest and these were more expensive.

I was just watching as my friend did it and didn't feel like hassling her to pick a different one.

Oh well. Self-checking is better than just walking out.

Will -actual- thieves try to scan and forget things? Seems unlikely overall.

3/19/17 2:50 PM
12/7/09

If you're a thief you're a pos it doesn't matter who you are stealing from. 

3/19/17 2:50 PM
9/8/10
Soul Gravy - If you attempt to scan and attempt to scan and attempt to scan, and it doesn't work, I feel like the responsibility lies with them at that point. You did what you could to legitimately pay for the item.

You can usually just key in the number of it doesn't scan. 

3/19/17 2:55 PM
1/11/12

Once I put in the code for those small cheap ass avacados when I in fact had some nice organic ones. Probably going to hell for that

3/19/17 2:57 PM
6/10/10

"I am not part of the problem since I never do this"

except for the part where you are and you did it?

3/19/17 3:05 PM
10/14/12
Jayn200 -

North America is also the greatest place to live in the world by a long shot, so.
3/19/17 3:05 PM
1/12/12
Soul Gravy - 
Fujkm - 
Soul Gravy - If you attempt to scan and attempt to scan and attempt to scan, and it doesn't work, I feel like the responsibility lies with them at that point. You did what you could to legitimately pay for the item.

there is always an employee at the self checkout before the door. So, keep stealing and rationalizing it.

I'm not rationalizing anything other than the value of my time and the convenience to which I, as an American, am entitled.

You mean the person up front with the vacant expression? Who wanders off repeatedly? Yes, if that person is there then you may approach them for assistance. And when they're not?

You ever shop at a grocery store around 12 or 1 in the morning? Self check outs are not operational at that time and the cashier is normally stocking shelves so no one is at the register.

Using your rationalization, everyone should shop at midnight, 1 or 2 in the morning. That way, you can simply steal a shopping cart full of groceries rather than hunting down the cashier and wasting valuable time.

Bottom line, your judgement is off. Your time really isn't that valuable and spending an extra 5 or 10 minutes to pay for an item is ultimately your responsibility.

Btw: Why would any one who has the ability to get a decent job risk getting a criminal record for a bottle of cheap gel? I don't know if you fit this category but it seems like an unnecessary risk.

3/19/17 3:06 PM
1/1/01
Soul Gravy -
Canooke - 
Fighting -

This. I'm no theif and I don't feel good about it.  But one 3 occasions now over the years I have tried to scan and rescan and scan again.  If after the third try it doesn't scan, in the bag it goes. 

That doesn't make what I did right.  I do know that.  But it's a 3. item and I tried goddamn it.

By gathering my items, carrying them to the front and participating in the process of self-checking out, I am entitled to said items in a manner of logical convenience. This is my right as a modern American consumer and one which I fully embrace.

For example:

I attempt to pay for said item. Through no fault of my own, the seller interrupts, or makes difficult, or otherwise impedes the transaction.

I am entitled to said item at this point in the process. It is not my fault the seller did not follow through on their end. My obligation is only in the attempt to pay; if the seller cannot or will not accept the payment, that is their fault and their responsibility. The item is still mine.
Lol what in the fuck?
3/19/17 3:07 PM
5/3/07

Yes. I got a riding lawn mower and only scanned a candy bar. 

3/19/17 3:08 PM
8/15/07
keithws2 - 
Soul Gravy - 
Fujkm - 

You ever shop at a grocery store around 12 or 1 in the morning? Self check outs are not operational at that time and the cashier is normally stocking shelves so no one is at the register.

Using your rationalization, everyone should shop at midnight, 1 or 2 in the morning. That way, you can simply steal a shopping cart full of groceries rather than hunting down the cashier and wasting valuable time.

Bottom line, your judgement is off. Your time really isn't that valuable and spending an extra 5 or 10 minutes to pay for an item is ultimately your responsibility.

Btw: Why would any one who has the ability to get a decent job risk getting a criminal record for a bottle of cheap gel? I don't know if you fit this category but it seems like an unnecessary risk.

If there's no one at the checkout, and the self-checkout areas aren't functional, why are they open that late?

We're not talking about breaking into somewhere that is obviously not open for business, we're talking about attempting to pay and seller being unwilling to accept our payment. In that case, there's not much we can do.
3/19/17 3:13 PM
6/13/15

I won't use the self checkout any more. I must be tarded but sometimes I can't get the damn plastic bags to separate. I also get annoyed when an item doesn't scan properly. Home Depot never a problem. Walmart seems to be an issue everytime I have used it. 

3/19/17 3:15 PM
1/30/10
keithws2 -
Soul Gravy - 
Fujkm - 

If you get in trouble (arrested or charged) then you're a complete moron...all you have to say is "I thought it had scanned, my bad" 

even if you're a retard and admit that you stole the item, you're not going to get in trouble ...no one is going to prosecute you for stealing a .99 cent bottle of gel 

3/19/17 3:17 PM
1/11/12
Soul Gravy -
Canooke - 
Fighting -

For example:

Yeah that's not how reality works . Or the law. Or common sense. 

3/19/17 3:23 PM
12/15/16

It's theft but if you can get away with it more power to you. Just don't pretend like you are above another thief 

If a cop chokeslams you don't complain 

3/19/17 3:25 PM
1/1/01
Sticking ot to the man!
3/19/17 3:28 PM
1/12/12
Soul Gravy - 
keithws2 - 
Soul Gravy - 
Fujkm - 

If there's no one at the checkout, and the self-checkout areas aren't functional, why are they open that late?

We're not talking about breaking into somewhere that is obviously not open for business, we're talking about attempting to pay and seller being unwilling to accept our payment. In that case, there's not much we can do.

I didn't mention breaking in. Safeways in my neck of the woods are open 24 hours. skeleton crews during the late hours.
3/19/17 3:29 PM
10/22/14
Wanderpage -
Jayn200 -

North America is also the greatest place to live in the world by a long shot, so.

Really? Why? Because they taught you that in school? The usa has some of the worst food quality in the world, limited access to healthcare, one of the highest murder rates from a 1st world country, a large percentage of your population living in poverty.

Usa is only a great place to live if you come from Africa or south america. 

America hasn't been a great country for decades. 

3/19/17 3:30 PM
1/12/12
Lindsay PhDDD - 

It's theft but if you can get away with it more power to you. Just don't pretend like you are above another thief 

If a cop chokeslams you don't complain 

Are you the same guy that keeps responding on the women shoplifting/cop/van thread?

LOL.
3/19/17 3:32 PM
1/12/12
dios - 
keithws2 -
Soul Gravy - 
Fujkm - 

If you get in trouble (arrested or charged) then you're a complete moron...all you have to say is "I thought it had scanned, my bad" 

even if you're a retard and admit that you stole the item, you're not going to get in trouble ...no one is going to prosecute you for stealing a .99 cent bottle of gel 

good points. I say risk it every time you shop....