OtherGround Forums Purposely not paying at self checkout Walmart?

3/19/17 3:32 PM
3/19/04
Soul Gravy - 
Canooke - 
Fighting -
Soul Gravy - If you attempt to scan and attempt to scan and attempt to scan, and it doesn't work, I feel like the responsibility lies with them at that point. You did what you could to legitimately pay for the item.

No, I'm not flagging down an employee (where are they all when you need them?) and no, I'm not moving back to a regular checkout line and no, I'm not standing around waiting on someone to show up to help me (an associate has been notified to assist you).

This. I'm no theif and I don't feel good about it.  But one 3 occasions now over the years I have tried to scan and rescan and scan again.  If after the third try it doesn't scan, in the bag it goes. 

That doesn't make what I did right.  I do know that.  But it's a 3. item and I tried goddamn it.

Another option would be to leave the item there and not steal it.

By gathering my items, carrying them to the front and participating in the process of self-checking out, I am entitled to said items in a manner of logical convenience. This is my right as a modern American consumer and one which I fully embrace.

For example:

I want this item. The seller charges a price for this item.

I attempt to pay for said item. Through no fault of my own, the seller interrupts, or makes difficult, or otherwise impedes the transaction.

I am entitled to said item at this point in the process. It is not my fault the seller did not follow through on their end. My obligation is only in the attempt to pay; if the seller cannot or will not accept the payment, that is their fault and their responsibility. The item is still mine.

I'm gonna go with:

C) Negatory. You must actually pay for the item for it to become yours.
3/19/17 3:33 PM
10/28/14
Soul Gravy -
Canooke - 
Fighting -
Soul Gravy - If you attempt to scan and attempt to scan and attempt to scan, and it doesn't work, I feel like the responsibility lies with them at that point. You did what you could to legitimately pay for the item.

No, I'm not flagging down an employee (where are they all when you need them?) and no, I'm not moving back to a regular checkout line and no, I'm not standing around waiting on someone to show up to help me (an associate has been notified to assist you).

This. I'm no theif and I don't feel good about it.  But one 3 occasions now over the years I have tried to scan and rescan and scan again.  If after the third try it doesn't scan, in the bag it goes. 

That doesn't make what I did right.  I do know that.  But it's a 3. item and I tried goddamn it.

By gathering my items, carrying them to the front and participating in the process of self-checking out, I am entitled to said items in a manner of logical convenience. This is my right as a modern American consumer and one which I fully embrace.

For example:

I attempt to pay for said item. Through no fault of my own, the seller interrupts, or makes difficult, or otherwise impedes the transaction.

I am entitled to said item at this point in the process. It is not my fault the seller did not follow through on their end. My obligation is only in the attempt to pay; if the seller cannot or will not accept the payment, that is their fault and their responsibility. The item is still mine.
Who came up with these rules? You sound like a complete asshole.
3/19/17 3:36 PM
11/9/13
Sandy Pantz - I too steal from Walmart all the time and find ways to rationalize it. The more I steal, the more they have to raise prices to compensate for my theft. Higher prices at Walmart gives mom and pop shops the ability to be competitive on prices. Therefore, stealing from Walmart is the moral thing to do.
Should change screen name to Robinhood .
3/19/17 3:38 PM
12/15/16
keithws2 - 
Lindsay PhDDD - 

It's theft but if you can get away with it more power to you. Just don't pretend like you are above another thief 

If a cop chokeslams you don't complain 

Are you the same guy that keeps responding on the women shoplifting/cop/van thread?

LOL.

yup in that thread people are saying thieves should be shot in the head, in this one they are saying it's alright to steal 

3/19/17 3:40 PM
3/19/04
King of Pain -
Soul Gravy -
Canooke - 
Fighting -

For example:

Who came up with these rules? You sound like a complete asshole.
This is also an acceptable answer. Full marks.
3/19/17 3:45 PM
3/17/03
CuddleBug -

Those scanners are terrible, I don't even try to scan the merchandise that's stuffed under my clothes.

You've actually stumbled upon a great idea. What if you put your items wherever you want, cart, pockets, wherever, then stepped into an airport style scanner. Put in your card then leave.
3/19/17 3:45 PM
1/1/01
dios -

Have you ever purposely not paid for an item at the self checkout lanes ?

I did today ....i had always wondered why stores (Walmart) would do this, since it's so easy for people to steal stuff , and since a bunch of scum people shop at Walmart (no I am not part of the problem since I never do this and I will never do it again and I don't shop at Walmart)

today I scanned item and placed it in the plastic bag, but then realized it hadnt scanned correctly and I didn't see it on the screen ...I just continued scanning other items and never paid for it  

have you ever done this? My item was a bottle of gel 

Learn how to make the scan sound like the police academy guy. Scan the cheap shit and make the beeping sound with your voice as you dake scan the expensive shit.

Bring a scale and weigh stuff in the aisles, find something cheap and expensive that weigh the same, then print fake upc codes on them.

If it all goes to shit run!
3/19/17 3:52 PM
3/19/04
Tim Duncan - 
dios -

I did today ....i had always wondered why stores (Walmart) would do this, since it's so easy for people to steal stuff , and since a bunch of scum people shop at Walmart (no I am not part of the problem since I never do this and I will never do it again and I don't shop at Walmart)

today I scanned item and placed it in the plastic bag, but then realized it hadnt scanned correctly and I didn't see it on the screen ...I just continued scanning other items and never paid for it  

Learn how to make the scan sound like the police academy guy. Scan the cheap shit and make the beeping sound with your voice as you dake scan the expensive shit.

Bring a scale and weigh stuff in the aisles, find something cheap and expensive that weigh the same, then print fake upc codes on them.

If it all goes to shit run!

This is an unbecoming use of Police Academy Sound Guy skills. Use them for fun, and for good, hell, even a little mischief, but never evil.
3/19/17 3:52 PM
10/28/14
Mr Feet -

I "steal" from Home Depot's self checkout nearly every trip. Never hassled a single time. What's more important to the staff? Getting the long lines of people out the door or someone tossing a box of nails in their bag that won't scan that makes no difference in their paychecks?

Great justification dirtbag.
3/19/17 4:03 PM
1/1/01
Jayn200 -
Wanderpage -
Jayn200 -

Lol I love how in the usa Walmart is the good guy. Capitalism at its finest. 

North America is also the greatest place to live in the world by a long shot, so.

Really? Why? Because they taught you that in school? The usa has some of the worst food quality in the world, limited access to healthcare, one of the highest murder rates from a 1st world country, a large percentage of your population living in poverty.

Usa is only a great place to live if you come from Africa or south america. 

America hasn't been a great country for decades. 

I think you have choices here. You can choose to eat crappy or you could eat expensive organic food, or a nice steak dinner.

You could choose to live in a shitty house in detriot or you could work your ass off and live in paradise.
3/19/17 4:11 PM
9/13/06
dios -

OP, if you are buying gel at Walmart, you are probably viewed as a less than savory character by a large portion of society.  Sorry playa

3/19/17 4:19 PM
1/30/10
TheOGs#1RoyalsFan -
dios -

OP, if you are buying gel at Walmart, you are probably viewed as a less than savory character by a large portion of society.  Sorry playa

I'm on vacation and that is the only place where they sell gel 

3/19/17 4:25 PM
10/28/16
keithws2 - 
Soul Gravy - 
Fujkm - 
Soul Gravy - If you attempt to scan and attempt to scan and attempt to scan, and it doesn't work, I feel like the responsibility lies with them at that point. You did what you could to legitimately pay for the item.

there is always an employee at the self checkout before the door. So, keep stealing and rationalizing it.

I'm not rationalizing anything other than the value of my time and the convenience to which I, as an American, am entitled.

You mean the person up front with the vacant expression? Who wanders off repeatedly? Yes, if that person is there then you may approach them for assistance. And when they're not?

You ever shop at a grocery store around 12 or 1 in the morning? Self check outs are not operational at that time and the cashier is normally stocking shelves so no one is at the register.

Using your rationalization, everyone should shop at midnight, 1 or 2 in the morning. That way, you can simply steal a shopping cart full of groceries rather than hunting down the cashier and wasting valuable time.

Bottom line, your judgement is off. Your time really isn't that valuable and spending an extra 5 or 10 minutes to pay for an item is ultimately your responsibility.

Btw: Why would any one who has the ability to get a decent job risk getting a criminal record for a bottle of cheap gel? I don't know if you fit this category but it seems like an unnecessary risk.

this dumb muthafucka right here
i only shop after 2am an only use self checkout in at least 10 diff states every yr for the past 5 & self checkout has never been closed/unavailable so wat tf mang?
3/19/17 4:26 PM
1/1/01
Walmarts usually have cameras, theft prevention teams and cops on hand. I was pondering if stealing from Dollar Tree might be more suitable.
Edited: 3/19/17 4:30 PM
5/10/08
Soul Gravy - 
I'm not rationalizing anything other than the value of my time and the convenience to which I, as an American, am entitled.

Ha!!!

This line made my day.

Very funny stuff...

3/19/17 4:36 PM
4/28/15
ABCTT_SENNIN - I'm not a thief, so no.
First post nails it per usual
3/19/17 5:19 PM
8/15/07
Canooke - 
Soul Gravy - 
Canooke - 
Fighting -

For example:

I'm gonna go with:

C) Negatory. You must actually pay for the item for it to become yours.

The attempt to pay be should be tantamount to actually paying.
3/19/17 5:23 PM
8/12/03
What kind of lube was it?
3/19/17 5:50 PM
9/13/06
TheOGs#1RoyalsFan -
dios -

Replace "buying gel" with "vacationing in a local that only had a Walmart", and use the rest.

3/19/17 5:53 PM
9/8/10
Jayn200 -
Wanderpage -
Jayn200 -

Lol I love how in the usa Walmart is the good guy. Capitalism at its finest. 

North America is also the greatest place to live in the world by a long shot, so.

Really? Why? Because they taught you that in school? The usa has some of the worst food quality in the world, limited access to healthcare, one of the highest murder rates from a 1st world country, a large percentage of your population living in poverty.

Usa is only a great place to live if you come from Africa or south america. 

America hasn't been a great country for decades. 

LOL, ok.

3/19/17 5:55 PM
1/1/01

I'm pretty sure they racially profile on who gets stopped to have their purchases and receipts viewed at my local Wal-mart. So being an average white guy with a 10-month old girl lets me usually go unnoticed after I used self check out.

That said, I don't steal. Get a job.

3/19/17 5:59 PM
8/18/10

I mark all my organic produce as regular/non-organic. That's because you have to select the type or enter a code. Anything that needs to be scanned I keep legitimate. 

3/19/17 6:06 PM
1/1/01
lol I rarely shop lift and this was kind of an accident the other day I'm at the pharmacy getting some Allegra D. The stupid bitch is taking for ever. The process is ridiculous , I goto leave & remember that Mr.Whiskers needs some cat food, and then I see a double pack of nasal spray for 44.99$ I grab it and put it with my prescription and pay for catfood at self check lane. Oh shit I totally forgot to pay for the nasal spray. Blame it on my add or the cold / sinus infection or the fresh dose of THC in my system.

I didn't notice I forgot to pay for the 50$ nasal spray till I was eating my peanut buster parfait with chocolate ice cream from DQ

I went home got the bike out took some Allegra d and Flonase and rolled a doob. 20 mile bike ride
Good day
3/19/17 6:07 PM
12/7/06

A few trolls here, but there are definitely a handful of scumbag thieves in this thread. Scumbags don't limit themselves to stealing from WalMart or other retail stores, either.  The rationalizations don't stop there.  They are the reason shit comes up missing in the workplace, at school, from your car, and elsewhere in public.   

3/19/17 6:08 PM
1/1/01
Moist Gracie - 

I mark all my organic produce as regular/non-organic. That's because you have to select the type or enter a code. Anything that needs to be scanned I keep legitimate. 

I've done this myself by mistake though...