OtherGround Forums Purposely not paying at self checkout Walmart?

3/20/17 8:59 AM
6/18/16
Chris -

I'm pretty sure they racially profile on who gets stopped to have their purchases and receipts viewed at my local Wal-mart. So being an average white guy with a 10-month old girl lets me usually go unnoticed after I used self check out.

That said, I don't steal. Get a job.

Lol, this!
3/20/17 9:32 AM
6/28/10
Lol @ the guy stealing nails @ HD....fuckin loser.

Strange thread...
3/20/17 10:26 AM
11/13/14
Walmart Hack: I purposely cover the Barcode with my thumb and attempt to scan 3 times. After the third time I am now inconvenienced so I put the item in the bag. After doing this for every item, free shopping spree!
3/20/17 10:50 AM
1/28/12
Fighting -
IgnorantDeadline -

The hypocrisy of the og never ceases to amaze. Wow.

Chodebaskets in here just outright stealing and saying they DESERVE that item for simply walking their fat ass in the store. Holy fuck.

I think I've seen some of you clowns say "all thieves deserve to die" on many n occasion. I believe Fighting has voiced such an opinion in the thread where the old man killed the teenagers as he waited for them.

I hope the og comes in here and calls for soul faggot's life. He is clearly a self professed thief. Along with half of the rest of this thread.

You are all shit human beings. The op is also hilarious. I NEVER STEAL EXCEPT WHEN I DO STEAL SO IT IS OK I'M NOT THE PROBLEM :D

That old man thing is deeply disturbing!  It really broke my heart.  I think it was murder.  The chilling transcripts haunt me to this day. 

Ok. I misremembered. There were people in that thread who were happy the teens died because "all thieves must die".

3/20/17 10:52 AM
1/1/01
Fujkm -
Soul Gravy - If you attempt to scan and attempt to scan and attempt to scan, and it doesn't work, I feel like the responsibility lies with them at that point. You did what you could to legitimately pay for the item.

No, I'm not flagging down an employee (where are they all when you need them?) and no, I'm not moving back to a regular checkout line and no, I'm not standing around waiting on someone to show up to help me (an associate has been notified to assist you).

there is always an employee at the self checkout before the door. So, keep stealing and rationalizing it.

This guy gets it. If there is someone there I either find someone or I don't by the item. IMO it's a juvenile mindset to say "well it's difficult to buy so therefore I should get it for free"

3/20/17 10:52 AM
1/28/12
dios -
IgnorantDeadline -

The hypocrisy of the og never ceases to amaze. Wow.

Chodebaskets in here just outright stealing and saying they DESERVE that item for simply walking their fat ass in the store. Holy fuck.

I think I've seen some of you clowns say "all thieves deserve to die" on many n occasion. I believe Fighting has voiced such an opinion in the thread where the old man killed the teenagers as he waited for them.

I hope the og comes in here and calls for soul faggot's life. He is clearly a self professed thief. Along with half of the rest of this thread.

You are all shit human beings. The op is also hilarious. I NEVER STEAL EXCEPT WHEN I DO STEAL SO IT IS OK I'M NOT THE PROBLEM :D

You might not be a thieve , but I'm sure you're a scumbag as well....or are you saying you're a saint ?

Are you suggesting that since you are a thieving piece of shit, that everyone is as well?

Must be nice to constantly be able to justify any of your actions with bullshit.

You're a thief. I am not.

3/20/17 11:17 AM
1/1/01

I was going to type "LOL@ all the rationalizing" but it's actually not funny.  It's a sad narrative of how theft is made to be "ok" in people's heads.

3/20/17 12:24 PM
1/25/04
VTCO -
Jayn200 -

Lol I love how in the usa Walmart is the good guy. Capitalism at its finest. 

I don't see anyone saying Walmart is "the good guy".

Laughing at plebs who shoplift doesn't equate to defending the store they shoplift from.

This. 

Thieves always rationalize why they're criminals. 

3/20/17 12:24 PM
1/25/04
Samoa -

I was going to type "LOL@ all the rationalizing" but it's actually not funny.  It's a sad narrative of how theft is made to be "ok" in people's heads.

3/20/17 1:29 PM
4/22/07
I think it can tell when you have too much shit in the bagging area. Then again, I am not willing to steal to find out. If having those gay little lines helps Wally keep the prices low I am fine with it.
3/20/17 3:22 PM
1/12/11
Polaris - I just used self check out there yesterday, and got stopped at the door and asked for my receipt.

I always walk right past them like i don't see/hear them and continue out to my car. Never had one catch me yet or loss prevention chase me down either.

But unlike dirtbag OP, i also don't steal things.

3/20/17 3:30 PM
7/7/10

Everything is bananas when I use the self check out 

.49 lb is super cheap lol 

3/20/17 3:32 PM
1/12/11
Soul Gravy -
keithws2 - 
Soul Gravy - 
Fujkm - 
Soul Gravy - If you attempt to scan and attempt to scan and attempt to scan, and it doesn't work, I feel like the responsibility lies with them at that point. You did what you could to legitimately pay for the item.

No, I'm not flagging down an employee (where are they all when you need them?) and no, I'm not moving back to a regular checkout line and no, I'm not standing around waiting on someone to show up to help me (an associate has been notified to assist you).

there is always an employee at the self checkout before the door. So, keep stealing and rationalizing it.

I'm not rationalizing anything other than the value of my time and the convenience to which I, as an American, am entitled.

You mean the person up front with the vacant expression? Who wanders off repeatedly? Yes, if that person is there then you may approach them for assistance. And when they're not?

You ever shop at a grocery store around 12 or 1 in the morning? Self check outs are not operational at that time and the cashier is normally stocking shelves so no one is at the register.

Using your rationalization, everyone should shop at midnight, 1 or 2 in the morning. That way, you can simply steal a shopping cart full of groceries rather than hunting down the cashier and wasting valuable time.

Bottom line, your judgement is off. Your time really isn't that valuable and spending an extra 5 or 10 minutes to pay for an item is ultimately your responsibility.

Btw: Why would any one who has the ability to get a decent job risk getting a criminal record for a bottle of cheap gel? I don't know if you fit this category but it seems like an unnecessary risk.

If there's no one at the checkout, and the self-checkout areas aren't functional, why are they open that late?

We're not talking about breaking into somewhere that is obviously not open for business, we're talking about attempting to pay and seller being unwilling to accept our payment. In that case, there's not much we can do.

You should try that tonight with something nice like a new vehicle. Go to your bank, take everything you have out in pennies. Take said pennies to the auto dealership. Attempt to purchase vehicle with pennies. When/if they refuse to accept your legal U.S. currency you take the car and drive away. 

You attempted to pay. If they didn't accept your form of payment you got a free car. Brilliant idea. 

Home mortgage is also another excellent idea. Maybe try to pay off your home online and then if when you are about to make the transaction there is a technical glitch that prevents the payment from going through you get the house for free. 

This is a winning strategy. 

3/20/17 3:42 PM
1/12/11
TheOGs#1RoyalsFan -
dios -

Have you ever purposely not paid for an item at the self checkout lanes ?

I did today ....i had always wondered why stores (Walmart) would do this, since it's so easy for people to steal stuff , and since a bunch of scum people shop at Walmart (no I am not part of the problem since I never do this and I will never do it again and I don't shop at Walmart)

today I scanned item and placed it in the plastic bag, but then realized it hadnt scanned correctly and I didn't see it on the screen ...I just continued scanning other items and never paid for it  

have you ever done this? My item was a bottle of gel 

OP, if you are buying gel at Walmart, you are probably viewed as a less than savory character by a large portion of society.  Sorry playa

I always struggle with this sterotype.

My wife and i are considered upper middle class by income:

http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0912/which-income-class-are-you.aspx

We are both respected professionals. College educated. Great neighborhood. Great schools. 

We also shop at Wal-Mart all the time. Household cleaning items, personal hygiene, toys for the kids, things we know the kids would ruin or break but need for a period of time, hell even groceries if we are already there and need something. I know the President of my company is well into the upper class and brags about his $500 dinners and I've run into him at Wal-Mart. I just don't get the association. 

3/20/17 3:47 PM
1/1/01
Rantuckjr - 
TheOGs#1RoyalsFan -
dios -

I did today ....i had always wondered why stores (Walmart) would do this, since it's so easy for people to steal stuff , and since a bunch of scum people shop at Walmart (no I am not part of the problem since I never do this and I will never do it again and I don't shop at Walmart)

today I scanned item and placed it in the plastic bag, but then realized it hadnt scanned correctly and I didn't see it on the screen ...I just continued scanning other items and never paid for it  

OP, if you are buying gel at Walmart, you are probably viewed as a less than savory character by a large portion of society.  Sorry playa

I always struggle with this sterotype.

My wife and i are considered upper middle class by income:

http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0912/which-income-class-are-you.aspx

We are both respected professionals. College educated. Great neighborhood. Great schools. 

We also shop at Wal-Mart all the time. Household cleaning items, personal hygiene, toys for the kids, things we know the kids would ruin or break but need for a period of time, hell even groceries if we are already there and need something. I know the President of my company is well into the upper class and brags about his $500 dinners and I've run into him at Wal-Mart. I just don't get the association. 

It's the "in" thing to do to hate Walmart and it's shoppers.  In reality it's the biggest retailer in the world so it's actually a bigger piece of the American shopping pie than any other company and most representative of "America".

People go where there is value.  Walmart has amazing value no matter how you slice it.

3/20/17 3:48 PM
1/12/11
Samoa -

Have i ever told you i like you Samoa? 

Even in threads where we disagree you are always at least calm and rational. Have an imaginary VU. 

3/20/17 3:48 PM
12/15/00

Have not done this, but had a streak of like 3 grocery store visits when my oldest daughter was a toddler where we would get home and see her walking around with something she snagged (we would actually hand it to her in the cart to hold on to and forget to scan it when we left.)

3/20/17 4:02 PM
11/28/03

i wont give u any shit for doing it once

3/20/17 5:11 PM
10/11/11

Bunch of silly entitled people in this thread. You are not entitled to operational self-checkout scanners. You are not entitled to an item because you walked in the store and picked it out. You are not entitled to an easy and speedy checkout process.  It is stealing. It doesn't make Walmart the good guy. It might make you a bad guy. Once again, this forum reminds me most in this world are either trolling or dumb. Probably both. 

3/20/17 5:23 PM
6/4/07
dios -

Weird. They are EXTREMELY weight sensitive in Safeway local grocery, if you put anything on them it notices, even the reusable fiber bags I bring with me, one of them can't weigh more than a half an ounce or so and the machine always notices, I have to take it off and put it on the floor and have the attendant enter the code to override.

3/20/17 5:43 PM
1/1/01
MMARAIDER - 

You're doing their job for them. It's only right you get compensated 

Interesting, but checking out your own groceries is the premium you pay for not having to wait in line.

The Randall's stores in my area actually did away with all their self-checkout stations and the lines are ridiculous now!

They also had a person monitoring the stations and knew exactly what you rung up, etc... Walmart doesn't have that. They may have a person directing traffic, but they're usually too busy hanging out and talking to their co-workers to care about what you're doing.
3/20/17 5:54 PM
5/3/07
Rantuckjr - 
Samoa -

Even in threads where we disagree you are always at least calm and rational. Have an imaginary VU. 

Samoa and I are both Loss Prevention people.

Stealing by mistake happens.

Stealing on purpose is stealing.

Blaming the scanner is the same as hiding something from a cashier.

3/20/17 6:08 PM
4/5/09

sometimes.   especially certain items.  like there's this expensive sesame oil that comes in a black bottle.  the cart is black.  so i leave it in there and it's near invisible.  i don't see a problem with it because i deserve a modest credit for BAGGING MY OWN GROCERIES.  fuck that i don't work there and i'm paying the same price assholes pay that have their shit bagged for them

3/20/17 6:26 PM
1/1/01
Rantuckjr -
Samoa -

Back at ya. We do banter a lot but it's arguing points not ad hominem styled attacking. This is an odd thread. The entitlement is........really fucking confusing. 

3/20/17 6:28 PM
3/21/12
Really odd that people with good jobs would do something like this. If I get caught shoplifting and reported to the state I could lose my license to work.