OtherGround Forums Rogan and Callen fall flat around real comedians.

4 days ago
6/2/14

I listen to all of Rogan's podcasts, and I even the work he does as a UFC commentator.  I listen to the Big Brown Breakdown, and Fighter and the Kid as well.

Does anyone else notice how flat Joe's attempts at humor or carrying on a funny premise fall when someone like Bill Burr is on?  Same thing with Callen.  

Most recently, Theo Von and Schaub were riffing on some topics and it was pretty damn funny.  Callen on the other hand was so out of his element, and the topics he brings up just bomb.

I guess this might be his MO, but it doesn't seem like it's a good way to go.

What do you guys think?

4 days ago
1/7/08

Theo Von is the funniest man in comedy right now.  Tough to ask anyone to live up to that right now.

He can do no wrong.

He has the right mix of political incorrectness and personal experience where you don't know when he is making shit up, or speaking from direct experience (like neighbors trying to molest him as a kid, his sister stripping, etc).

4 days ago
10/29/14
evil veiled -

Theo Von is the funniest man in comedy right now.  Tough to ask anyone to live up to that right now.

He can do no wrong.

He has the right mix of political incorrectness and personal experience where you don't know when he is making shit up, or speaking from direct experience (like neighbors trying to molest him as a kid, his sister stripping, etc).

Nope. Colin Quinn is the best now.

4 days ago
12/29/10
CDavidBlackburn -
evil veiled -

He can do no wrong.

I'm sticking with Cosby here

4 days ago
6/26/17

Dane Cook is the best

4 days ago
3/11/14

Andrew Dice Clay is the hottest comic out

4 days ago
1/1/01

I remember when Joe had Dave Attell on.  It was surprising because neither one of them seemed to be interested in saying anything funny.  It was more of a serious talk about comedy.

4 days ago
3/4/03
Paula Poundstone FTW!
4 days ago
11/16/08
CDavidBlackburn -
evil veiled -

He can do no wrong.

Colin Quinn is comedy antimatter

4 days ago
1/24/07

Callen's a comedian? I thought he was like a wannabe actor/pseudointellectual

Edited: 4 days ago
4/1/10
Dr Violence - 

Callen's a comedian? I thought he was like a wannabe pseudointellectual

I thought that was Rogan?

4 days ago
1/7/08

Theo Von: "Just fuck a lil"

4 days ago
3/20/12
His fanbase for comedy is mostly there because he is a character and a celebrity from UFC and Fear Factor...they want to see rogan...his stand up and riff comedy is average...he has moments on JRE but they are sparse

Callen has riff comedy gold sometimes...more than rogan IMO, but callen is so close minded on real topics it is kinda cringe.

Theo Von and Shaub? ....ya if that was funny it was all Theo...TFAK is a shitty podcast unless they get a good guest on...I will download the Theo one, but no others

Theo on the other hand is funny 95% of the time and the other 5% he is unintentionally LOL
Onward
4 days ago
6/20/11
Dr Violence -

That's like 3/4 of comedians. 

4 days ago
11/4/10

If you've never heard Theo on Rogans podcast, I highly recommend it. It's hilarious 

4 days ago
1/29/12

Rogan is witty in normal conversation. But he’s just not funny as a comedian.  Never thought he was. 

4 days ago
1/24/07
shaqitup -
Dr Violence -

That's like 3/4 of comedians. 

I think it might be 3/4 of Los Angeles

4 days ago
1/1/01
Trifive -

Rogan is witty in normal conversation. But he’s just not funny as a comedian.  Never thought he was. 

His most recent netflix special and his old shit are some of the funniest fucking things ever.....he did another special a while back that i hated. Saw him live in buffalo a while back and was dissapointed....bit joey diaz stole the show
4 days ago
12/22/10
Zned -
Dr Violence - 

Callen's a comedian? I thought he was like a wannabe pseudointellectual

I thought that was Rogan?

It's both of them. 

I don't know how anyone can listen to either of those nitwits pontificate for longer than a minute and a half. 

4 days ago
7/11/12

Rogan isn't a comedian to me, hes more like an entertaining conversation guy, but lately the podcast is going downhill.

And Callen....yeah... no comment

4 days ago
11/15/04
evil veiled -

He can do no wrong.

It's weird to think of the kid from Road Rules or the Real World (can't remember which one) is a success in the entertainment world. 

3 days ago
11/24/07

I haven’t listened to much of rogans stand up but one thing I notice is the guys who are natural comedians never really turn it off. Even in normal conversations they’re still cracking jokes because they can’t help it. Just constantly firing off witty comments and jokes no matter what topic. 

3 days ago
7/4/03
I think Rogan is hilarious when he has the academic guests on... gets them out of their comfort zone with his "internet is for dick pics" jokes... loosens them up...

but I cannot tolerate his show at all when he has friends or comedians on... don't find him funny at all and the effort he puts into laughing at his own jokes puts my workouts to shame...
3 days ago
1/24/07
Donoghue88 -

Rogan isn't a comedian to me, hes more like an entertaining conversation guy, but lately the podcast is going downhill.

And Callen....yeah... no comment

It's hard to evaluate him because his output is so high. Is there anyone else who puts like 6-8 hours of themselves out per week? The TV talk show hosts are maybe the closest thing, but obviously with them it's all prerehearsed they have an army of writers and production staff.

3 days ago
10/16/07
Rogan isn't a standup guy anymore...although i laughed my ass off at his last special.

he still has it...but it's not what he does the same way it is for the straight up stand up guys.

never heard of this theo von guy, i'm going to look him up. I spent the weekend mourning Patrice O'neil and going down that youtube rathole so hopefully Theo is a viable replacement.