OtherGround Forums Saving Private Ryan interesting fact

2/15/17 11:07 PM
4/14/12

Should start at 13:31

Saw this on reddit earlier and thought it was pretty cool. For those who don't care to watch the video, it address the 2 "Germans" who surrendered during the D-day scene.

The 2 surrendering soldiers actually aren't German, they are Czech. The video goes into detail how many European countries who fell to the Germans were forced to fight for them. 

There are no subtitles in the movie, but the two soldiers are saying:

"Please don't shoot me!"

"I am not German, I am Czech, I didn't kill anyone! I am Czech!"

(then they are killed)

2/15/17 11:13 PM
2/25/03
That is interesting. Thanks.
Edited: 2/15/17 11:16 PM
2/11/16
Interesting find!

Believe it or not, many foreign soldiers supported the German effort against Bolshevism. Towards the end, many fought because they saw Bolshevism as a severe threat to Europe.

Croatians, Czech, Finnish, Belgians, French, Dutch, Danish etc.
2/15/17 11:16 PM
6/27/05

Matt Damon was intentionally kept out of training with the other actors to form a feeling of how he (Ryan) doesn't belong...

2/15/17 11:21 PM
4/14/12
Stu Cazzo -

Matt Damon was intentionally kept out of training with the other actors to form a feeling of how he (Ryan) doesn't belong...

This is also true. I imagine it worked as intended lol.

2/15/17 11:24 PM
4/3/08
Wölfie66 - Interesting find!

Believe it or not, many foreign soldiers supported the German effort against Bolshevism. Towards the end, many fought because they saw Bolshevism as a severe threat to Europe.

Not too hard to believe considering the damage it did throughout the 20th century and its effects even today.
2/16/17 12:43 AM
2/3/10
Cpt. Dale Dye (USMC) was the military instructor on set. Fun fact: I met him during our 10 year deployment reunion.
2/16/17 12:45 AM
1/27/14
Thats some shit
2/16/17 1:31 AM
9/8/13
Sub
2/16/17 1:31 AM
7/15/04
Cool
2/16/17 2:37 AM
8/5/03
cool. I saw an "interesting facts" thing about Band of Brothers as well.
It was really cool. I'll see if I can find it
2/16/17 8:49 AM
5/29/09
The Higgins boat coxswain always sounded like a Brit to my American ears. Guess I heard wrong.
2/16/17 8:54 AM
3/14/09
MartialArtsM1xed - Cpt. Dale Dye (USMC) was the military instructor on set. Fun fact: I met him during our 10 year deployment reunion.

He's worked on shit loads of war movies. 

2/16/17 8:54 AM
10/15/13

My only issue with the movie, more of the way they protrayed Damon's role.

He didn't seem like a puissy, yet during the fire fight Tom Hanks looks over and Damons character has his knees curled up to his chest and he's bawling like a baby?

There was nothing previous to this scene that would indicate he's a scared lil child. He wanted to stay with his unit and fight for that town/bridge. Pissed me off a bit. Why?

2/16/17 9:13 AM
1/1/01
Beninger -
Wölfie66 - Interesting find!

Not too hard to believe considering the damage it did throughout the 20th century and its effects even today.
There were two Koreans captured at the D day invasion. They were originally captured by the Russians and pressed into service on the Eastern European front where they were captured by the Germans and pressed into manning the guns in Northern France.
2/16/17 9:16 AM
1/1/01
That story about the girl in the barn....that was a horrible story. The only bad part of the movie IMO.
2/16/17 9:33 AM
3/5/14

Wait, so I was lied to.  That one dude said he said, "Look, I washed for supper."

I'll never trust that liar again!

2/16/17 9:42 AM
4/18/06
Al Cappucino -

He didn't seem like a puissy, yet during the fire fight Tom Hanks looks over and Damons character has his knees curled up to his chest and he's bawling like a baby?

There was nothing previous to this scene that would indicate he's a scared lil child. He wanted to stay with his unit and fight for that town/bridge. Pissed me off a bit. Why?

I'm curious if you've ever been subject to incoming explosives? It's overwhelming and when the ground starts shaking and you feel the pressure waves, your knees get a little weak to say the least. I've never seen a man do exactly that but it wouldn't surprise me.
2/16/17 9:45 AM
6/12/13
Al Cappucino -

I think he and others were out of ammo.   ??

2/16/17 9:48 AM
1/1/01

Good watch. Just reminds me of how fucking awesome that movie is

2/16/17 9:51 AM
3/5/14
Spider Rico -
Al Cappucino -

I think he and others were out of ammo.   ??

And terrified that they were most likely about to die.  I feel like its hard to judge someone who's about to die on how they should be acting.  Especially if they have no ammo to fight back with.  I guess he could have been hurling rocks in their general direction.

2/16/17 10:02 AM
10/15/13
Surgeon308 -
Al Cappucino -

I'm curious if you've ever been subject to incoming explosives? It's overwhelming and when the ground starts shaking and you feel the pressure waves, your knees get a little weak to say the least. I've never seen a man do exactly that but it wouldn't surprise me.

Not one other person on the film acted this way. Even the POS Upham didn't react that way. And it wasn;t as if Ryan had just started fighting the day before.

Look, i am not questioning how some men would react to being in war. It just didn't fit the narrative of the movie to make him act that way.

2/16/17 10:08 AM
4/29/09
Rumblefish - cool. I saw an "interesting facts" thing about Band of Brothers as well.
It was really cool. I'll see if I can find it
Sub for this
2/16/17 10:09 AM
11/17/10

love how they shot in on old private ryan's crying face , then that epic intro battle scene

i remember seeing it in the theaters and so many WW2 vets with teary eyes

2/16/17 10:10 AM
3/5/14
Al Cappucino -
Surgeon308 -
Al Cappucino -

Not one other person on the film acted this way. Even the POS Upham didn't react that way. And it wasn;t as if Ryan had just started fighting the day before.

Look, i am not questioning how some men would react to being in war. It just didn't fit the narrative of the movie to make him act that way.

That's a fair point I guess. It was kind of out of character based on how he had acted before I suppose.