OtherGround Forums Seattle soda tax LOL!!!

10 days ago
6/3/03

Seattle going full libtard yet again... 

.  $26.33 instead of $15.99 a case? Costco shows Seattle customers just how much soda tax costs them

Getty Images

Costco is telling customers in Seattle just how much a new tax on sugary drinks will cost them.

Costco has adopted a novel way to show its objection to a new soda tax in Seattle: It’s telling customers just how much the tax will cost and encouraging them to buy soft drinks outside the city.

The city recently enacted a tax of 1.75 cents an ounce on surgary beverages. The result: A case of Gatorade that used to cost $15.99 now costs $26.33 — a 65% markup

And a case of Dr. Pepper now costs $17.55 instead of $9.99, according to Costco. That’s a 76% surcharge

The Costco COST, -0.47%   store in Seattle was also kind of enough to let customers known the tax did not apply in the company’s stores outside the city.

Seattle is one of a handful of cities whose liberal governments have raised taxes on surgary drinks to discourage people from drinking them. Studies have linked excessive soda consumption to health problems such as obesity.

So far the effects of higher soda taxes have been limited. In some cities such as Berkeley, Calif., stores barely raised prices and consumption was little changed. Keeping soda prices on the lower side helps bring customers into stores.

In other cities like Philadelphia, prices have risen and consumption appears to have declined. But it’s also possible that shoppers made more soda purchases outside the city.

Soda-tax supporters in Washington state are trying to pass a statewide levy to prevent shoppers from getting around it, but it failed to pass in 2017 and is unlikely to do so this year, either

10 days ago
8/29/09

Matt Serra

Edited: 10 days ago
8/25/09

"A new tax on sugary drinks"

What about diet soda? Soft drinks made w stevia?

10 days ago
9/27/03

Lol

10 days ago
1/1/01
Ron Swanson - "Ah, Councilwoman. In honor of your never-ending quest to personally babysit each and every American citizen, I went to Paunch Burger and got myself a Number Two - Double Bacon Grenade Deluxe, Hash Browns, Chili Cheese Fries, and one poached egg."

Ann Perkins - "Ugh, number two is right."

Ron Swanson - "I also picked up a 64 oz Sweetums Sugar Splash. Dammit, I love this country so much."
10 days ago
9/4/08
Gov Co knows best!

Robbing companies and telling adults how to live.
Nice work comrades.
10 days ago
2/23/05
Dam what a pathetic place. No wonder KC killed himself. He probably saw this coming
10 days ago
1/1/01
Just saying, if this goes nationwide I will giving hand jobs in the park to cover my soda addition
10 days ago
6/3/03
kungfugrip - Just saying, if this goes nationwide I will giving hand jobs in the park to cover my soda addition

Shit, with that kung fu grip, if you’re in NY hit me up!

10 days ago
12/27/12

They tried it here in the Chicago area/Cook County, it was repealed in a few months.

10 days ago
8/25/09

Seattle will tax sugary soda — but not diet.

The Seattle City Council on Monday approved a new tax on distributors of soda pop and other sugary drinks.Diet soft drinks were exempted. The tax is expected to take effect in early July and add about $1.18 to the cost of a 2-liter bottle of soda. Jun 5, 2017

10 days ago
2/16/09
Not only is this a MAJOR cash grab that will bring countless money into the local govts pockets but they tell the people of the city they are working in their interest while they butt fuck them. Also slippery slope because almost any product can be bad for you and the local govt will not want to give up all that new free money.
10 days ago
11/15/04

They’ve done that here on the east coast. I think it’s a nickel per can/bottle. 

10 days ago
6/23/12
I'm torn. On the one hand, fuck government. On the other hand, fuck fat people. If that soda tax money is specifically earmarked for Healthcare stuff, I don't hate it. Smokers and obese people cost us healthier people a ton in shared medical costs due to their choices.
10 days ago
12/10/11
Philly already have this. Good thing i live literally 1 block outside the boundaries of Philly and the acme right next to me doesn't have the tax. But it doesn't bother me since I rarely drink soda.
10 days ago
11/13/14
It is sad when there are so many dumb fucks eating poorly and causing major expense to taxpayers through healthcare costs.
10 days ago
11/20/13
RockTheVote - I'm torn. On the one hand, fuck government. On the other hand, fuck fat people. If that soda tax money is specifically earmarked for Healthcare stuff, I don't hate it. Smokers and obese people cost us healthier people a ton in shared medical costs due to their choices.

Who knew hating people could be so hard?
10 days ago
1/25/12

Who drinks that shit anymore? 

10 days ago
3/28/17

MURICA!

10 days ago
1/17/12
lessthanzero -

"A new tax on sugary drinks"

What about diet soda? Soft drinks made w stevia?

Good question.

A case of Pepsi is $18 and a case of diet $9?
Edited: 10 days ago
1/1/01
RockTheVote - I'm torn. On the one hand, fuck government. On the other hand, fuck fat people. If that soda tax money is specifically earmarked for Healthcare stuff, I don't hate it. Smokers and obese people cost us healthier people a ton in shared medical costs due to their choices.

From what I've read, any health benefits are expected to take decades to manifest and will be marginal at best.  The negative economic impact will be more immedate, however.

So, I'm very inclined that policies like this are not the way to try to solve a health problem, but you should do your own research and such....

10 days ago
1/1/01

Isn't this the same thing that happenned to cigarrettes?

10 days ago
5/13/05

This is already going on in Philly. The politicians passed it as a way to keep people healthy and for those who drink soda to pay for free citywide Pre-K (in reality a portion of this went to the city pension fund but they used Pre-K as a way to pull on people's heartsrings and emotions to get them to support the tax).

They projected to have millions of revenue per month from the tax and it is already falling short because people are buying outside of city limits. The politicians were arguing that they expect the revenue to pick up (LOL; why would it pick up if they already changed consumer behavior to purchase outside of city limits). 

http://www.phillyvoice.com/city-controller-soda-tax-shortfalls-creating-multimillion-dollar-burden-philadelphia/

10 days ago
12/22/15
OJTT_Wiggy - Ron Swanson - "Ah, Councilwoman. In honor of your never-ending quest to personally babysit each and every American citizen, I went to Paunch Burger and got myself a Number Two - Double Bacon Grenade Deluxe, Hash Browns, Chili Cheese Fries, and one poached egg."

Ann Perkins - "Ugh, number two is right."

Ron Swanson - "I also picked up a 64 oz Sweetums Sugar Splash. Dammit, I love this country so much."

First thing I thought about.

10 days ago
2/5/06

No they don't, but keep telling yourself that to boost your ego if you need it. This is the bullshit propaganda the left uses to take freedoms from people and run their lives...this is how you get a tax like this.

Fat people and smokers die. Old people cost a lot of money, they have failing health and they hold on for decades eating up tons of money in healthcare....plus they are on tax funded Medicaid.

A smoker gets lung cancer and is dead in 6 months to a year, a retired 67 year old with arthritis, two bad knees, a bad hip that gets chronic bronchitis holds on with those ailments until they're 82.

I know you'll find tons of articles to refute what I'm saying, but I'm telling you, it's bullshit propaganda to get more tax dollars.