OtherGround Forums Soccer officially dead in the US

10/13/17 5:21 PM
2/3/11
Gean -

The world should rejoice that Americans have zero passion for soccer 

Olimpics = skeet shooting and horse riding = nothing compared to soccer, nothing.

The US should be happy the rest of the world plays soccer.

10/13/17 5:31 PM
1/7/08
Dragunov -

Mourinho destroyed Chelsea in his last season there. Completely lost the dressing room. He's a great manager though and would improve the US team but good luck getting him!

I don't know.  To me it seems like Mourinho's ways are less effective when players have won everything.  The hunger isn't there any more.  Like Inter, after the Treble.  What carrot could he possibly hang in front of the players?  Nothing, they accomplished every dream they could have had for their careers, the previous season. 

And now you are saying "lets do it again"?

Same thing happened at Chelsea, 3 years back.  They won the Premier League in 2014/15, but they had to dig deep to do it.  It took a lot out of the likes of Matic and Hazard, who afterwards wanted to play a more glamorous attacking style (i.e. less defensive work rate expected fom them), and we saw what happened. 

Zouma, he was not up to standard.  Terry, he was aging and had almost entirely lost his pace.  Ivanovic, upset that his favorite doctor/mistress had been sacked by the club.  Ramires, Costa, Oscar...  Hard workers who stopped working as hard. 

But you can see how the likes of Zlatan, Matic, Mata and Lukaku treat Mourinho, even though they were supposedly 'discarded' by him, that they have great respect for the man.

10/13/17 5:42 PM
7/30/14
evil veiled -
Dragunov -

Mourinho destroyed Chelsea in his last season there. Completely lost the dressing room. He's a great manager though and would improve the US team but good luck getting him!

I don't know.  To me it seems like Mourinho's ways are less effective when players have won everything.  The hunger isn't there any more.  Like Inter, after the Treble.  What carrot could he possibly hang in front of the players?  Nothing, they accomplished every dream they could have had for their careers, the previous season. 

And now you are saying "lets do it again"?

Same thing happened at Chelsea, 3 years back.  They won the Premier League in 2014/15, but they had to dig deep to do it.  It took a lot out of the likes of Matic and Hazard, who afterwards wanted to play a more glamorous attacking style (i.e. less defensive work rate expected fom them), and we saw what happened. 

Zouma, he was not up to standard.  Terry, he was aging and had almost entirely lost his pace.  Ivanovic, upset that his favorite doctor/mistress had been sacked by the club.  Ramires, Costa, Oscar...  Hard workers who stopped working as hard. 

But you can see how the likes of Zlatan, Matic, Mata and Lukaku treat Mourinho, even though they were supposedly 'discarded' by him, that they have great respect for the man.

Sir Alex Ferguson did it. He was a master at bringing players through and blooding them. Neither him or Jose will be managing the US though.

10/13/17 5:46 PM
8/29/17
Eric Bloodaxe -
Gean -

The world should rejoice that Americans have zero passion for soccer 

Olimpics = skeet shooting and horse riding = nothing compared to soccer, nothing.

The US should be happy the rest of the world plays soccer.

Unlike other countries America would LOVE for everyone to play football/basketball/baseball/etc.  More the merrier we're not insecure

10/13/17 5:52 PM
12/1/03
I'm almost 50 and I didn't touch a soccer ball until I hit 30 and one of my kids wanted to play. The rest of the world is weened on the sport and it's not even hitting it's stride in the US yet, if it ever will. It's a great sport that combines speed and endurance, but it's a learned skill. It takes time.
10/13/17 5:53 PM
9/17/11
StruggleSnuggles - Don't have to worry about them not standing for the national anthem.

How fucking hilarious would that be to see on an international scale... every team proudly standing for their country and team usa all kneeling with their heads down

10/13/17 6:35 PM
7/15/04
With football baseball and basketball being so popular here I can't see how soccer will ever take off unless we get taken over by the Latinos which could very well happen and then we might have enough people to populate a good team.
10/13/17 6:43 PM
6/28/10
TexDeuce - With football baseball and basketball being so popular here I can't see how soccer will ever take off unless we get taken over by the Latinos which could very well happen and then we might have enough people to populate a good team.

"unless we get taken over by the Latinos which could very well happen"

lol

10/13/17 6:54 PM
3/17/14

Still waiting on someone to addres the NCAA's dumbass rule that prevents college level soccer player from playing any soccer for more then 2.5 months out of the year.

I mean why the fuck is that a rule. How are they going to get better if they are not allowed to be around the team/sport for 9.5 months out of the year?

How can an american ever hope to be in the top 10 global player when prime training years are limited by a dumbass rule.

How good would some of these overseas players be if they were told from 18-22 years old that they could not practice or play the game for only 2.5 months out of the year.

10/13/17 6:59 PM
1/1/01
Soccer not being popular here seems like one of the things that just worked out right in the United States. It's like a bunch of shit that's normal in other countries that isn't here and isn't supposed to be, like people wiping their asses with their bare hands or eating dogs.

If you like it the game, whatever, feel free. But it really doesn't seem like a sport that deserves the same attention as others. The entertainment value just isn't there so don't act like it is. Nothing in soccer measures up to Aaron Rodgers on that last drive against Dallas last week or Andre Dawson's MVP year with the Chicago Cubs.

I get that I'm not a "soccer expert" so I just don't understand it. The little fat mexicans that deliver food and wash dishes illegally at the restaurants I go to do understand and worship the game though, and I feel no need to be in their shoes or see things from their perspective. They're the ones in my country so maybe they should try to enjoy from my point of view and watch some NFL or MMA. Want to see some hot ass while watching an entertaining sport? Watch WTA or women's volleyball.
10/13/17 7:13 PM
1/5/11
BruteDion -

Still waiting on someone to addres the NCAA's dumbass rule that prevents college level soccer player from playing any soccer for more then 2.5 months out of the year.

I mean why the fuck is that a rule. How are they going to get better if they are not allowed to be around the team/sport for 9.5 months out of the year?

How can an american ever hope to be in the top 10 global player when prime training years are limited by a dumbass rule.

How good would some of these overseas players be if they were told from 18-22 years old that they could not practice or play the game for only 2.5 months out of the year.

I didn't know this, and it's a damn good point.

Ncaa has many fucked up rules, but this might be the worst of them. NCAA is a hack organization.
10/13/17 8:32 PM
3/17/14
choadler - 
BruteDion -

I didn't know this, and it's a damn good point.

Ncaa has many fucked up rules, but this might be the worst of them. NCAA is a hack organization.

They really are. I cant stand the NCAA. Its just an insane rule.

I didn't know about it until Taylor Twellman brought it up. He asked "how can any young American ever hope to be as good as a messi when they are told they can only play the sport for 2.5 months a year?".

He went on to say pumping money in to USA soccer does nothing when their prime years are capped in terms of time allowed to pay the sport.
10/13/17 8:40 PM
3/17/14
play*
10/13/17 8:47 PM
5/10/08
PeteyWheatstraw - Soccer not being popular here seems like one of the things that just worked out right in the United States. It's like a bunch of shit that's normal in other countries that isn't here and isn't supposed to be, like people wiping their asses with their bare hands or eating dogs.

If you like it the game, whatever, feel free. But it really doesn't seem like a sport that deserves the same attention as others. The entertainment value just isn't there so don't act like it is. Nothing in soccer measures up to Aaron Rodgers on that last drive against Dallas last week or Andre Dawson's MVP year with the Chicago Cubs.

I get that I'm not a "soccer expert" so I just don't understand it. The little fat mexicans that deliver food and wash dishes illegally at the restaurants I go to do understand and worship the game though, and I feel no need to be in their shoes or see things from their perspective. They're the ones in my country so maybe they should try to enjoy from my point of view and watch some NFL or MMA. Want to see some hot ass while watching an entertaining sport? Watch WTA or women's volleyball.

Spend a little time to do some research.  Look at some of Messi's highlights.

If you are honest, you would never say that nothing in soccer measures up to Aaron Rodgers on that last drive in Dallas.

Don't get me wrong.  It was a thing of beauty.  That said - therre are plenty of moments in soccer that are just as exciting and inspiring.

10/13/17 8:50 PM
1/13/04
TexDeuce - With football baseball and basketball being so popular here I can't see how soccer will ever take off unless we get taken over by the Latinos which could very well happen and then we might have enough people to populate a good team.

First and second generation kids from Europe live in the US and most (first generation anyways) know the game. Unfortunately Big Mac's, women and MTV dummy'ed down those kids so you might be right..
10/13/17 8:52 PM
6/26/16
once again I really don't see why people are fixated on this men's team

female soccer team is kicking ass and taking names in world cup time after time and producing great games

shame that people care more about our failing male team then they do about our awesome female team, really goes to show how things still need to progress in our society

go usa
10/13/17 8:55 PM
6/17/11
borgrisar - once again I really don't see why people are fixated on this men's team

female soccer team is kicking ass and taking names in world cup time after time and producing great games

shame that people care more about our failing male team then they do about our awesome female team, really goes to show how things still need to progress in our society

go usa

nobody gives a fuck about women's sports

it's lesser in every way imaginable

10/13/17 9:01 PM
1/7/08
borgrisar - once again I really don't see why people are fixated on this men's team

go usa

Have you ever seen what happens when a (amateur) Boys u18 team plays a Women's Pro team?

Maybe then you would understand why people care more about the men's team failure than the women's team's success. 

Soccer is the most widely played sport IN THE WORLD.  Therefore, the most competitive (on an international basis).

10/14/17 12:12 AM
9/23/17

Good.

10/14/17 12:20 AM
1/9/02

go usa

our men's team that just missed out on the world Cup would annihalate our women's champion WC team by double digits. Why would I want to watch them play?

10/14/17 12:25 AM
6/23/10
It's culture and tradition more than anything that keeps soccer as a global sport. It's been engrained into society for a long time, even before America really found any sort of a homogeneous society of it's own.
10/14/17 12:31 AM
2/12/17
bewl - It's culture and tradition more than anything that keeps soccer as a global sport. It's been engrained into society for a long time, even before America really found any sort of a homogeneous society of it's own.

Its also poverty. Its one of the few sports that even the dirt poor in africa or south america can play by making a ball out of anything they have on hand, put two objects x feet apart to create the goal, and there you go.

10/14/17 12:44 AM
6/16/07
OGT - 
BrckNoHitBk -

When was it alive?  I guess Women soccer is or was alive, haven't heard anything about that lately.

This. Only major sport I'm aware of where the women are more popular and better than the men

the women are better at hockey too.
10/14/17 1:11 AM
6/23/10
RenzoStudent2004 -
bewl - It's culture and tradition more than anything that keeps soccer as a global sport. It's been engrained into society for a long time, even before America really found any sort of a homogeneous society of it's own.

Its also poverty. Its one of the few sports that even the dirt poor in africa or south america can play by making a ball out of anything they have on hand, put two objects x feet apart to create the goal, and there you go.

While poverty most certainly plays a role, the same could be said about baseball... A stick and a ball. Or how about rugby? Its the tradition that's passed from "father to son" that keeps soccer globally relevant. It got popular a long time ago, and it culturally stuck in alot of societies. Who's to say that if a more modern sport was around then at the scale soccer was, that it might be different?
10/14/17 1:58 AM
1/7/08
RenzoStudent2004 -

The draw isn't poverty, it is soccer's simplicity and elegance.

Just because something is simple doesn't mean it is easy.